Statutory Declaration - plead guilty or not guilty?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

I've had a read of a few similar issues on here, but I'm not quite sure what to do in my situation. 

I was caught speeding in Oct 19. 

The registered keeper received the NIP shortly afterwards, and sent it back stating that it was me driving.

I then received the letter asking me to confirm this - which I returned in November 19.

I heard absolutely nothing then until this August, when I had a Further Steps Notice (that I owed £452)

On speaking to the collections dept and the Court, it seems all correspondence after the letter I returned had been sent to the wrong address (same road that I live on but different house number) I had no idea of any speed awareness course dates / court dates / anything.

I've been fined & given points in my absence. 

I was asked to complete a Statutory Declaration, which I did.

They've now asked if I'm pleading guilty or not guilty to the offence. 

I'd already confirmed I was the driver, but was expecting to be able to attend a speed awareness course and not have penalty points. 

If I plead guilty would they be likely to leave the penalty points in situ?

How am I best approaching this?

It seems unfair to receive points for what amounts to an error on their part (wrong entry of an address?)

I'd still like the option of a speed awareness course. 

But am I right that I shouldn't plead not guilty as I am guilty of the speeding offence? 

Any help would be great please! 

Thanks

IN my opinion please guilty and ask to be sentenced at the Fixed Penalty equivalent, in line with the guidelines ...

where a penalty notice could not be offered or taken up for reasons unconnected with the offence itself, such as administrative difficulties outside the control of the offender, the starting point should be a fine equivalent to the amount of the penalty and no order of costs should be imposed. The offender should not be disadvantaged by the unavailability of the penalty notice in these circumstances. 

• Like 1