British Gas - Boiler cover

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dont know if this is the correct section:

We have a 13 year old boiler and have paid Boiler care cover for 11 years which also covered pipes, electrics etc... Basically their top cover.

Over the past year we have had boiler failures around 4 times and its usually the odd filter, pump etc... although 4 months ago they changed the circuit board.

They did advise during the last visit that we would really need a system flush at over £500 but we thought this was steep so didnt get that done but at the same time not advised that failing to get that done could cause damage that would result in our boiler not being covered in the future.

Yesterday the boiler just wouldnt reset so we called them out again and it turns out that the heat exchanger is leaking which has leaked onto the circuit board.

The engineer called his boss but they are refusing to cover the claim because we didnt get the flush done.

The options they gave were:

Fix the parts at £400 or get a new boiler.

So we now have a sticker on the boiler saying its unsafe to use.

They said that the cost of parts previously used to repair the boiler is more than the boiler is worth itself, but the way we say it was that thats why we took out the £30 per month cover.

Called a few companies for quotes but its also going to be a few weeks without hot water and heating so no good with 3 kids.

Im trying to find our contract to read the terms although i know that they will have covered themselves. Anyone else been here with them?

Thanks

Unfortunately with a system as old as yours you were advised correctly.

A system flush is a high pressure technique to remove all the rust and metal particulates from your pipe work and radiators. All tho gunk will eventually cause your heat exchanger to either block or fail.

Remember to replace radiators when buying a new system or you'll seriously affect the life of your new boiler.

Also consider having a magnatec fitted. It can increase the boiler life by years.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree to a point with it being and older boiler although they cannot prove that this was the sole cause of the exchanger leaking, plus they never advised us that failure like this could occur and was advised that filters would keep clogging up . So no mention of failures like this and the consequences of it not being covered.

My mother has a 20 year old boiler thats never been flushed out or had any issues. It might be down to to rubbish vokera boiler that we have.

The engineer said that even if it had been flushed and the part still failed then they still wouldnt have covered the claim

At the end of the day they continued to take our payment when they knew their next visit wouldnt be covered.

Vokera boilers are pretty poor, I moved to a house with one. It was bad from the start, but failed a few months later.

Had a Worcester Bosch fitted by a local engineer, he services itvevey year for £60 and I get a 10 year WB guarantee.

Personally I would not be paying BG £30 a month you have paid for two boilers in that time.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread