Private rental - issue with landlord.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a privately rented house.

I have been here for just over a year,

I recently requested the landlord whether I can install a few fixtures including a TV bracket on the bedroom wall.

I also requested that a tap be fitted outside the house so that I can use it to wash the car, water the backyard plants, etc.

I have offered to pay for all fixtures as well labour involved.

The landlord has refused both of these.

I would like to know whether I need to seek permission for every little thing that I want to do in the house, or if such requests only need to be made for major structural changes.

Additionally, the tenancy has not been renewed since January 2018, when it was up for renewal.

The landlord almost never answers phone calls, or replies to text messages.

And the requests for the works that I've mentioned above had to be made through one of his workers who came by the house. Therefore, it seems to me that the landlord is specifically avoiding contact with me.

I am not sure where to go with this, and to be fair, I am not sure that I wish to make any formal complaints, etc.

He holds my deposit (not in DPS) and the tenancy agreement has expired.

Does this mean the tenancy goes on to a rolling monthly contract?

Is my deposit safe?

Sorry for the long post!

He gave me a receipt that the amount was taken as deposit for the house.

That's the only proof. He hasn't placed it in DPS, although he said that it will be put in DPS.

To be honest, the chap is a bit of a shady character with multiple properties that he rents out the same way.

UNfortunately, I only found out these facts a couple of months after I had moved in.

Going by what you say, is it safe to conclude that I don't have to seek approval from the landlord for such things as TV brackets and taps?

You may need LLs prior written permission for any alterations you wish to make.

LL can refuse any T request, it his asset. Only a Court can decide what is 'reasonable'.

Edited by Andyorch
edited

If you properly fill any holes, then you cannot be sued for any losses.

If you leave holes or badly repaired holes that are noticeable then the landlord may repair it and charge you the cost. You also have to accept responsibility for any inadvertent damage - e.g. to hidden wires or pipes. Also modern fire places can have vents in hollow bricks going up the wall - don't drill into them!

Taps are tricky. They involve changes to the plumbing and usually involve chopping holes in walls and cupboards. If done badly they can cause leaks and long-term damage. I would not advise doing it in breach of the landlord's wishes.

As long as the deposit is unprotected he cannot evict you with a Section 21 notice. If he has failed to protect the deposit then you have the right to sue for return of the deposit plus up to 3 times the amount of the deposit even if he subsequently protects your deposit. Suggest you write him a letter asking him to provide you with the details.

I wouldt be drilling any holes when you have been told you cant or you may end up being cahrged with criminal damage or get a bill for redecorating the whole room.

The deposit protection is a separate issue and you are entitled to go after LL regardless of whether h now moves the money into a scheme or even returns it to you.

That is not what the law says he should have done on day one and he failed to do the necessaries.

Your Landlord had 30 days in which to give you written notification of the DPS he has used.

Without doing so has left him on a little bit of a sticky wicket inasmuch as he is unable to give you a s21 notice to quit unless he returns the deposit to you first.

I would not advise making any alterations without LL agreement, you can and bo doubt will be held liable fir any remedial work to put the property back as it was when you moved in.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol: