Can non UK residents take a UK bank to small claims court?

t1grm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a British citizen but I have been non UK resident since June 2002. However, I still use First Direct in the UK as my main bank.

I have incurred excessive bank charges both before and after I became non resident.

As a non resident can I use the county court system to:

a) Claim all the excessive charges back

b) Just the charges before June 2002

c) Nothing because I am non resident

I have a UK correspondence address I can use.

This is little unclear at the moment. You can certainly claim for the last 6 years.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Guess one question is would you be able to attend a small claims court in the UK, if it got that far? Or at least have somone willing to take your place, if that's allowed?

Neil.

Yes. I'm in mainland Europe so getting back to the UK on a budget airline would not be a big deal.

I could just go ahead and use my UK address and not mention the non residencey issue but my bank has my Europe address (it's where they send my statements) so they may bring it up as a spoiler if it got that far.

I dont think it would be a problem. You are a british citizen, therefore you should have access to the british legal system.

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

Correct Mondeo.

• Confused 1

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

As long as the defendant has a UK address to which a claim can be correctly served you can issue proceedings.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

Are you in the EU ? if so, it might be worth reading up on 'Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982'. I looked it up in relation to cross border claims from Sctland to England but I think it covers the EU. Best google it.

• 9 years later...

I hope it's ok to revive this old thread.

We are british, living in France, being diddled by a uk car hire company (trustpilot rating 0.5/5!) for a rental when we were in UK. Using a UK credit card.

We are using resolver.co.uk (which is good) as are the company. But it keeps going on, they keep charging semi-random amounts on the card which we have to get frozen and so on. It really has been a considerable amount of trouble by now.

We've got the "bill" down from £1450 to £85, so we are making progress. They are only claiming now for a valet charge which is baloney.

Can I use the uk small claims court procedure without having to attend? Should I? Is there some better alternative (like getting a hearing in France would be handy).

Is it correct the claim would have to be restricted to the £85 plus actual expenses, nothing for hassle and distress and time spent?

Thanks

I hope it's ok to revive this old thread.

We are british, living in France, being diddled by a uk car hire company (trustpilot rating 0.5/5!) for a rental when we were in UK. Using a UK credit card.

We are using resolver.co.uk (which is good) as are the company. But it keeps going on, they keep charging semi-random amounts on the card which we have to get frozen and so on. It really has been a considerable amount of trouble by now.

We've got the "bill" down from £1450 to £85, so we are making progress. They are only claiming now for a valet charge which is baloney.

Can I use the uk small claims court procedure without having to attend? Should I? Is there some better alternative (like getting a hearing in France would be handy).

Is it correct the claim would have to be restricted to the £85 plus actual expenses, nothing for hassle and distress and time spent?

Thanks

The site team will need a new thread, as they don't like old threads belonging to someone else being added to

You have to issue a court claim in the UK as the company you are trying to sue are in the UK. Yes you might have to attend a UK court.

If you want advice about merits of legal claim, you need to post a new thread to the legal section.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks