style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking for some advice, and what to expect will happen.

Going through a tough period financially, and couldn't afford to eat or pay for the gas/elec. I started stealing from supermarkets via self-checkouts (I found an exploit, just like another poster here), and had taken mostly food. This happened several times, and approx £30-£50 each time. I also filled up my vehicle with fuel from a garage, and drove off without paying.

I've now decided to stop as I don't want to end up too far down the rabbit hole.

So assuming that they will ID me, what can I expect?

Thanks.

Hi

I think you are very lucky not to have been caught as yet so by stopping, you can start addressing the reasons behind your choices.

Most supermarkets use a 30 day rolling period for CCTV recordings and where no incident has been spotted by security staff, discs are erased and used again. If any security staff do an intense search of any disc, you may be spotted but to be honest, I can't see anyone sitting through up to 24 hours of footage so at the moment, little will happen.

What might happen is that you are spotted on CCTV and the police are called the next time you are in the store. If that happens, ensure that you get a duty solicitor to protect your rights.

I can't offer support on what 'may' happen. That comes with time. What I would suggest you do is address the reasons behind your financial woes. Do an income and expenditure form to work out what is going wrong. Prioritise essential outgoings and any unsecured debts can be dealt with as time progresses.

Over time, your financial problems may ease, allowing you to save. I would do that then once you have enough, send it to the stores in question. (That's just my opinion)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Can I offer a word of caution

You say you want to stop - and I believe you

BUT

If by some miracle you are not caught do not think you are invincible - the danger is that you will then carry on and will be caught and it will be for a lot of money

Also if you are caught for the drive off- do not admit to anything , get the duty solicitor - and think twice if they offer you a caution if you admit it because - if you accept the caution and then somehow they find more dirt on you - there is less chance that it will be dealt with easily.

Personally - I would not offer recompense to the stores unless you can do it completely confidentially , remember that many payments can be traced. I am not condoning the theft but trying to think what is best for you

As Silverfox says, if you are arrested - get the duty solicitor before you talk to the police. It may mean some hours wait but will be worth it. If you get a letter through your door asking you to contact the police, be prepared.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

You're right re offering money, as once they have my details then they'll set the RLP dogs onto me and demand more £'s. Ill just stay away from these stores for quite awhile.

Re the garage; I read somewhere that they're now using other RLP type companies to chase people, and it's purely a civil matter (it seems that the police are advising garages to go down this route).

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. If anyone has other advice, please add them here.

RLP cant touch you so dont even give that a second thought

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Also, as you were not caught in the act, you could argue that the car does look similar to yours, the plates are cloned ?

I don't think we can condone this sort of action on CAG. Getting caught out in a lie will cause many more problems in the long run.

As for RLP, they only get involved once a thief is caught.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

It would also get you several points on your licence and another conviction wheas at the moment it can be dealt with down the civil route if the stores want it that way.

Points? Presumably for an offence other than making off without payment (s. 3, Theft Act 1978),then. Which offence?