Landlords leaving properties derelict

Clear33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When this goes on for over a decade and there are home owners adjoined, when there has been deliberate harassment of noise and mess left around that home owner to try to force them out -

what can be done in terms of getting the landlord to finish renovating the property in a timely manner?

Thanks

Ah, ok.

Contacting the council is still a good idea.

As a general rule, noise from building/renovation work has to be restricted to social hours (mon-Fri 08:00-18:00 and sat 09:00-13:00 in most cases)

Different guidelines apply to different LA, so you better check with them.

Another kettle of fish is the fact that they will never finish.

Unfortunately I don't think you can force them not to do any work, but if you call building control dpt they'll be able to advise whether the work needs their approval and fees.

Mind you, most work needs bc approval, so that could cost your neighbour some money

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

You said they're finishing renovating it, so it's not been left.

It has been left derelict for 20 years and it is questionable that the so called work going on there is real. There has been a lot of banging going on there however it is a tiny property and it should have been complete years ago. This "work" stopped over a year ago when they realised the owner of the adjoining home was not there anymore to be intimidated by it.

Hope that clarifies it. I thought there must be something to prevent this type of harassment as I am acting on behalf of someone who has endured years of tactical bullying as they want her land.

It has been left derelict for 20 years and it is questionable that the so called work going on there is real. There has been a lot of banging going on there however it is a tiny property and it should have been complete years ago. This "work" stopped over a year ago when they realised the owner of the adjoining home was not there anymore to be intimidated by it.

Hope that clarifies it. I thought there must be something to prevent this type of harassment as I am acting on behalf of someone who has endured years of tactical bullying as they want her land.

Difficult to make them do anything unless there's a risk to third parties (falling render, gas appliances not inspected, blocked drain, etc.)

With regards to harassment, for the LA to do anything they would need evidence in the form of a diary or even better video footage.

If I understood correctly the owner of this derelict property wants to buy your friend land and to "convince" them he's being as disruptive as possible with unnecessary noise and unsightly rubbish left everywhere.

In all honesty it is very difficult to deal with such situation and unfortunately it would be difficult for the authorities to help.

My advice is to approach the owner and see what his problem is.

He may just backtrack, you never know.

Or he might react violently and a phone recording in your pocket would secure police interest.

Careful not to antagonise him to get a reaction, remember that your first aim is to understand if he can just stop this nonsense peacefully.

Difficult to make them do anything unless there's a risk to third parties (falling render, gas appliances not inspected, blocked drain, etc.)

With regards to harassment, for the LA to do anything they would need evidence in the form of a diary or even better video footage.

If I understood correctly the owner of this derelict property wants to buy your friend land and to "convince" them he's being as disruptive as possible with unnecessary noise and unsightly rubbish left everywhere.

In all honesty it is very difficult to deal with such situation and unfortunately it would be difficult for the authorities to help.

My advice is to approach the owner and see what his problem is.

He may just backtrack, you never know.

Or he might react violently and a phone recording in your pocket would secure police interest.

Careful not to antagonise him to get a reaction, remember that your first aim is to understand if he can just stop this nonsense peacefully.

Thank you for that. Yes, you describe the situation accurately. I thought that there was a timeline on renovating properties these days and that they could not just leave them derelict like that due to new government rules. His problem is greed and a lack of morality and neighbourly duty.

I think bringing the situation to light is the best way forward. I will think on it, now I have a clearer picture of the legalities. Once again, thank you.

I'm not aware on any particular timeline for renovating properties. Perhaps the council can investigate if the building is unsafe.

If you are actually being harassed, that is something quite different to a property being left derelict. Of course harassment can be reported to the police, and can also form the basis for bringing a civil claim against the person responsible in the county courts. I think you'd need something more than the property next to you being left derelict to prove harassment though.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS