Switching from standard meter to economy 7/10 meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello folk,

I called my electricity supplier (extra energy) to tell them I wanted to go onto an economy 7/10 tariff, they told me that they can't do it because it meant replacing my meter

Am I being lead down the garden path?

From what i understand you need a meter than can show 2 readings, peak hours usage and off peak hours usage. Standard meters just show 1 reading.

If it makes sense to go onto an economy 7/10 tariff and Extra Energy won't do this, then speak to a few different suppliers to enquire about this. It might be difficult to find out how competitive any new supplier is, because you probably would need to go on a standard tariff first, then they do the meter change and you then pay relevant economy 7/10 tariffs. You can ask them what the tariffs are as a guide.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

why do you think you need to go 7/10?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

why do you think you need to go 7/10?

I fitted solar panels back in 2014, so most of my consumption during the daytime is free of charge, but still I purchase 12,000 Kw from my friendly electricity supplier.

My household is a 24/7 estalishment, let me explain:

I get up at around 2am, do about 3 hurs work using my computer then am out the house normally by 5am and get back around 2pm. Do some more work on the computer, cook my supper using a mixture of gas and electricity then I am in bed by 6pm at the latest, this happens 7 days a week.

My wife gets up at 6am, leaves for work at 7am and isn't back home until 6:30/7pm, cooks her supper, mostly using electricity, around 8pm and goes to bed at around 11pm, Monday to Saturday.

Because of this the heating is constantly on at 19°C, this is provided by an air source heat pump. I am off gas grid, and for years the central heating was done using propane, a jolly exensive exercise.

I have calculated that more than 50% of my consumption from the grid is between dusk to dawn, more so in the winter months, when the central heating is working at it's hardest after sundown.

If I set the heat pump to heat the water in the storage tank between midnight and 7am the night consumption will increase. There are other appliances that I can run after midnight, such as the dishwasher and the washing machine.

Since the only appliances that is consuming electricity between 7am and 2pm is the heatpump, a couple of fridges and a chest freezer, I strongly believe that the energy produced by the panels is more than sufficient to cope. Hence the idea of economy 10, a couple of cheap hours between 3 and 5, a further 3 hours between 7 and 10 and 5 hours between 2am and 7am.

Edited by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge
mispelling

There may be a cost to exchange the meter.

It used to be about £50.

We have air source heating with remote control and are on E10 with Ovoenergy.

It works out a lot cheaper than standard tariff as the economy is from 12 - 5am, then 1-4pm and again from 8-10pm.

Our heating is set at 20C.

There are just the two of us in a two bedroom place so our bill on average is £80 a month.

During winter the highest it has ever been is £110 however in summer it is down to under £40.

• Confused 1

There may be a cost to exchange the meter. It used to be about £50. We have air source heating with remote control and are on E10 with Ovoenergy. It works out a lot cheaper than standard tariff as the economy is from 12 - 5am, then 1-4pm and again from 8-10pm. Our heating is set at 20C. There are just the two of us in a two bedroom place so our bill on average is £80 a month. During winter the highest it has ever been is £110 however in summer it is down to under £40.

Since what you descibe is more or less what \i have I will make a point of switching to Ovo after my fixed rate with Extra is over

Since what you descibe is more or less what \i have I will make a point of switching to Ovo after my fixed rate with Extra is over

Only a few suppliers offer E10. You may still incur the meter change charge, but this will be recvoered in the first year. Beware that Ovoenergy quote prices excluding the 5% VAT which is a bit naughty of them however it is in the small print at the bottom. Not sure why they think a domestic customer can claim back the VAT?