style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone shed light on the subject of a dropped kerb.

New residents moved into the house across the road approx. two months ago...in super quick time they had a dropped kerb put in outside the front of the house....they cannot use their front garden as it is a "front garden" with shrubs and bushes etc. there is also a fence surrounding the garden so clearly not in use as parking space.

Despite having the dropped kerb, blocking a space that until now was free to park on, they both continue to block our parking spaces with their van and car whilst their dropped kerb sits completely empty. I live in a block of twelve flats where nine have cars who now fight for five spaces while these selfish people effectively block three and half spaces.

Is there anything we can do about it?

Then park at the dropped kerb

Guaranteed space?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Who installed the dropped kerb? Is it something they did themselves? If so you could enquire with the council - they may force them to put it back as it was.

If the council did it, then that's pretty much the end of it. Your neighbours can't park there either - it's just a competition for the limited space available.

They would not do it until the garden had been turned into a drive

Or turned into parking?

And in some areas you now need Planning Permission to do that.

clarion48, have you introduced yourself to, and welcomed, your new neighbor - and then raised the problem ?

could be private estate?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

clarion

you need to answer the questions asked by the guys

who dropped it, is it public highway or private, etc

If it was done by the council, They would have insisted on the front garden being ready for parking

If it was done by a private contractor, They would have still needed permission from the council

Sorry for the delayed response....busy few days.

No, it is not a private estate.

The kerb was dropped by the council about a week ago so it is clearly not a requirement that the garden was ready for parking..

..I have seen several houses in the road have dropped kerbs put in without the garden being ready for parking..

.the house opposite me has a dropped kerb but their garden is still not ready for parking two years later so do not think it is a requirement before you can get it done.

I do know that you cannot park across a dropped kerb and do not intend to do that..

..but the owner of a house can park across their own dropped kerb quite legally.

I have decided to write to the council parking section and find out what the situation is....thanks for all the answers though.

i checked online with one council, and it says that an appropriate 'hard standing area for the vehicle' must be put in place on the ppty (with any fencing etc removed). and, planning permission maybe required, depending on the type of 'drive' etc. they also check to see if it is a traffic sensitive area. i presume that is standard with councils?

maybe they have to get a 'drive' done within x weeks?

but, yeah see what your council says.

IMO

:-):rant:

I woud ask the council

a) who made the application

b) what is the purpose of the dropped kerb because:

(1) In a special enforcement area a vehicle must not be parked on the carriageway adjacent to a footway, cycle track or verge where-

(a) the footway, cycle track or verge has been lowered to meet the level of the carriageway for the purpose of-

(i) assisting pedestrians crossing the carriageway,

(ii) assisting cyclists entering or leaving the carriageway, or

(iii) assisting vehicles entering or leaving the carriageway across the footway, cycle track or verge; or

(b) the carriageway has, for a purpose within paragraph (a)(i) to (iii), been raised to meet the level of the footway, cycle track or verge.

if the council answer (a)iii then without a driveway there anybody is perfectly entitled to park there until such time as a driveway is constructed.

yep that's what happened at my old residence

they came along and put 6 in

no-one ever developed their drive

was told by council planning that if the drive is not developed within 3mts following installation of the dropped kerbs

any ticket would be cancelled and anyone can park there

and they

Just a thought: Is it not normally the case that if there is a dropped kerb for any reason other than it being an obvious drive (when the driver should be able to use their noggin and not block it) there should be markings in the road (either a short section of DYL or a single white line with delineated ends) to indicate that you shouldn't park? If it is a crossing point, there should also be "tactile" paving to indicate the fact to pedestrians with visual impairment.