Savings cutoff for HB and CTB

neword
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Currently I am going through the procedure of getting IS and CA (carer's allowance) and have just been awarded the CA, The IS is unfortunately taking a long time (currently 7 weeks and counting).

Lately due to notifying the council of the changes of circumstances which I am currently going through they are sending me recalculations for both HB and CTB and it's getting to be a bit of a mind boggler.

However today received yet another recalculation but this time the CTB award is 0 and this is apparently due to our savings going over £6k (only a few hundred over). When I spoke to someone from the council CTB department they said it was because of the 6K.

I had always been of the opinion that there was a sliding scale and that the benefit was worked out over i.e 6k to 16k and that for every 1k over 6k you lost approximately 10% of the benefit.

I have looked at several sites and they mostly suggest this sliding scale applies to CTB,

So, Does anyone here know for sure whether or not CTB is a straight cutoff at 6k or is it a sliding scale system like with HB,

The council in question is Newcastle UNDER Lyme.

Thanks for any information.

Update:

Just browsed the actual website for this council and found this

Working Age Claimants - If you or your partner have capital above £6,000 then you will not qualify for help towards your Council Tax. Any capital below £6,000 is disregarded.

So it looks like we got to spend a few hundred (well we do need a new cooker) to come under the 6k.

Oh well

Yep, my reading of the council's website is the same as yours. You'll probably be OK from a deprivation of capital point of view if you buy something necessary like a new cooker.

Each council now gets to set its own rules regarding Council Tax Reduction, which makes things a bit confusing.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.