[mis] Sold add on Insurance?- Bravofly/lastminute.com

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a flight on Bravofly which is a lastminute.com company.

I did not tick a box that added on a cancellation Insurance policy to my order.

Only found out on the confirmation page when they had charged me £30 extra.

Emailed them and they replied the following.

Thank you for e_mailing us.

We would like to inform you that it is not possible to cancel the Full flex insurance after being booked.

If you think that you have not selected the insurance ,

we invite you to send us a bank statement showing that .

Isn't there a cooling off period for insurance policies regardless of what the policy is?

I believe that someone from the company is proposing to come onto this thread and to make a response.

This kind of customer engagement is excellent – even if the response ends up not being exactly what one is looking for.

I believe that someone from the company is proposing to come onto this thread and to make a response.

This kind of customer engagement is excellent – even if the response ends up not being exactly what one is looking for.

Look forward to it. In the meanwhile does anyone know if I am covered by the cooling off period? Or if I should take this up with my credit card since I did not ask for the product.

You should have had an email confirmation of your booking, which is normally automatic on most sites. In that email, it should confirm everything about what you purchased including Insurance. My experience with many websites, is that the Insurance option is the default position and you have to uncheck the box by clicking on it, to remove the Insurance.

Once you purchase these types of Insurance with a travel booking, i don't think there is any cooling off period. The premium is passed to the Insurers and they don't refund, if taken out by mistake.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You should have had an email confirmation of your booking, which is normally automatic on most sites. In that email, it should confirm everything about what you purchased including Insurance. My experience with many websites, is that the Insurance option is the default position and you have to uncheck the box by clicking on it, to remove the Insurance.

Once you purchase these types of Insurance with a travel booking, i don't think there is any cooling off period. The premium is passed to the Insurers and they don't refund, if taken out by mistake.

Aren't pre-ticking those boxes against regulations now though? So you have to purposefully tick it?

• Haha 1

Aren't pre-ticking those boxes against regulations now though? So you have to purposefully tick it?

Yes there was some change required, but without going to the site the OP mentions i don't know how that site works. The last time i booked some travel tickets, the Insurance box was ticked on a site and i unticked it, as i did not want it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 weeks later...

Phone the FOS to see if they can deal with such a complaint. If not, you might have to complain to the relevant Travel Industry body ABTA ?

Bravofly will just tell you and anyone you complained to that you clicked through to buy the Insurance and paid the premium.

It is your decision about how much time you are willing to spend on a complaint for a £30 Insurance product.

Of course. time is a factor in all this. But please also consider (take in to account) those that will go through the same anguish, if the OP don't complain to the proper organisation. Raising it here is a start but it may not be enough.

Yes, it's 30 pounds. but this may well be a lot of money for someone going on a small low budget holiday after a long time.

The citizens advice consumer service can tell you if the Financial Ombudsman service or any other organisation will be able to help. Their website address is:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

If you make a complaint to citizens advice consumer service they will automatically inform trading standards about this, so you don't have to.

They should also be able to tell you what your next port of call should be. e.g. lastminute.com (as bravofly is part of the group - dont know if they are part of lasminute.com or lastminute.comGroup), ABTA, Financial Ombudsman service or another organisation.

Edited by parity4all