Switching mobile contracts to be easier

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Under the current system, consumers who want to switch but keep the same number have to notify their existing provider and request a Pac code, which they take to the provider they plan to join.

Ofcom's preferred option is for responsibility for the switch being placed entirely in the hands of the new provider, which would mean an end to the process of contacting the existing provider in order to end the current contract.

Ofcom would like to see mobile companies handling the switching process on behalf of the customer, which means you wouldn’t have to ask for a PAC code at all. Basically, it’d be like switching energy companies, or broadband contracts, where you can choose the start date of your new contract, to try and avoid any overlap in payments, or avoid any periods where you’re not connected.

Sadly, Ofcom are not able to force mobile companies to accept their new rules, but the businesses will have to provide an alternative.

A final decision will be made in the autumn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35882026

I recently switched from 3 to EE after getting the letter saying I was being kicked off the £15 one plan and my bill was doubling in price to £30.

Got my pac code, switched to EE and they charged me a early termination fee - my contract ended in July 2014 and was on rolling month to month. It took 3 calls on same day to actually get the pac code and by time it came through it was too late to give to EE so ended up costing me an extra day on 3.

Took a while arguing the early termination fee but they finally agreed to waive the fee but what a nightmare.

It should be more easy than this. My mate did exactly the same and it took him 3 separate tries to get a PAC code and again charged him early termination fee which eventually got cancelled.