Work Experience.

Love or hate me
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi this is my friend wantiing to know if anyone could help.

will start with i was referred to this seasonal place few weeks ago as the job centre didn't have much info so i went forward for it because the employer would contact me to disscus more about the things i would be doing if i was to take up the offer and i was told by my adviser that my money would not be stopped even if i have been giving a refer letter as this is just for few weeks work experience and was told there would be a jobs going at the end of it. and it was my choice that if i didn't wanna do it then that was cool i would be fine and nothing would happen after i had a chat with the employer,

so i had a chat with the employer and after been on the phone for a good bit of time i just fought it was not for me and the employer said that was fine so i told my adviser and let them know that i didn't want to go forward anymore for it.

so now all of a sudden i spoke to this other adviser that was taking me instead the other day told me that now my case was been refer to the sanction decison makers because i turned the otfer down after been refer to it and but i am confused as work experience even if offer to you by adviser voluntry to take it or not?

i have not heard anything back yet since i was told that my case was been checked my the makers.

would anyone be help to give me help and advice on what to do?

First of all it would be helpful to know if you are under the age of 25 or over the age of 25 and how long you have been claiming JSA . Secondly you would have been given given a letter after your adviser said they were referring you does your paperwork state that this is a mandatory work activity and you may be sanctioned if you do not attend? There are various schemes available for the unemployed most are compulsory

First of all it would be helpful to know if you are under the age of 25 or over the age of 25 and how long you have been claiming JSA . Secondly you would have been given given a letter after your adviser said they were referring you does your paperwork state that this is a mandatory work activity and you may be sanctioned if you do not attend? There are various schemes available for the unemployed most are compulsory

yeh he is under the age of 25 and he has been claming over over 3 years been work work programme etc, he was giving a letter with the job detail and all it says on the letter is referred to this work experience but no other detail on the letter that says not taking up this would result in a sanction and no mention of it other than stuff like start date and end date but he was told to ignore that it was just something that comes up on the letter.

yeh a know there is different rules for different schemes.

yeh he is under the age of 25 and he has been claming over over 3 years been work work programme etc, he was giving a letter with the job detail and all it says on the letter is referred to this work experience but no other detail on the letter that says not taking up this would result in a sanction and no mention of it other than stuff like start date and end date but he was told to ignore that it was just something that comes up on the letter.

yeh a know there is different rules for different schemes.

Although Work Experience is voluntary to join it becomes compulsory once you have accepted a place. Where the problem lies is whether in explaining this to your friend the adviser stated that a referral was the equivalent of your friend accepting a place or not. Work Experience programme is from two to eight weeks. As your friend has completed the work programme the jobcentre can take actions to intensify his jobsearch via the Help To Work Scheme. If he does get a sanction then he can appeal this.

Your friend could try and prepare himself just in case that adviser wasn't bluffing.

He might get in touch with the employer he chatted to on the phone and ask him to write a letter out for him, or send one to his DWP contact, stating that he was contacted by your friend, that your friend did not turn any offer down since no offer was made, because, after discussing what the placement involved, they both agreed that it, and any permanent job stemming from it, was unsuitable for your friend.

He might also write to his JCP manager explaining what had transpired and that the adviser who actually dealt with the referral was satisfied with that explanation/report at the time. The adviser dealing with the referral should also be able to confirm your friend's version of events to this other adviser.

It's hard to believe that both advisers did not have a discussion about this before a sanction doubt was raised with a Decision Maker. Very peculiar?

Although Work Experience is voluntary to join it becomes compulsory once you have accepted a place. Where the problem lies is whether in explaining this to your friend the adviser stated that a referral was the equivalent of your friend accepting a place or not. Work Experience programme is from two to eight weeks. As your friend has completed the work programme the jobcentre can take actions to intensify his jobsearch via the Help To Work Scheme. If he does get a sanction then he can appeal this.

i shall let him know thanks.

he has done the 8 weeks work experience some point last year and stayed on just to keep the jcp from thinking he wasn't trying hard enough so it's not like he hasn't done any work experience. but a will inforn him about the information.

Your friend could try and prepare himself just in case that adviser wasn't bluffing.

He might get in touch with the employer he chatted to on the phone and ask him to write a letter out for him, or send one to his DWP contact, stating that he was contacted by your friend, that your friend did not turn any offer down since no offer was made, because, after discussing what the placement involved, they both agreed that it, and any permanent job stemming from it, was unsuitable for your friend.

He might also write to his JCP manager explaining what had transpired and that the adviser who actually dealt with the referral was satisfied with that explanation/report at the time. The adviser dealing with the referral should also be able to confirm your friend's version of events to this other adviser.

It's hard to believe that both advisers did not have a discussion about this before a sanction doubt was raised with a Decision Maker. Very peculiar?

a will give him this info thanks.

yeh well he was confused as to why one adviser was saying one thing and another adviser was doing another thing.

• 3 months later...

With Work Experience you are entitled to the NMW there or 3 exemptions to that rule and there or 1) If you volunteer 2) if you work as an shadow worker ( following a worker around but you don't do any work yourself). 3) If you or on a government scheme such as WP.

part from that you or entitled to the NMW if the employer refuses to pay you NMW then just walk away as he is breaking the law.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-minimum-wage-work-experience-and-internships