Sky/ Cabot old debt in Scotland

mazbck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We recieved a letter today from cabot which said they had bought our Sky account. There was also a letter dated the day before from Sky enclosed in the letter saying they had sold it to Cabot.

Now im currently dealing with Cabot for 3 other matters and one is in court to which the court has told Cabot to get a grip, they are also very over due with the cca for another account.

Anyway, back to the Sky 'debt'. We moved almost 5 years ago (May 2011) but we did cancel the sky package as we weren't going to use them in the new area.

Cabot are inviting me to contaft them to discuss the matter and support us in managing the account. Now im al ost 100% sure theat Sky was in my name, yet the Cabot letter is address to the hubby. Its almost like they are trying to get hubby anyway they can.

So what is the best plan action inshould take on this.

usual game from cabot

they see lots of debts they can pin on one person

s they giggle things around and make a few admin errors

prob think if they use these tactics, it 'll unsettle the debtor on the current court claim.

anyway

only gotta ignore them till may then and its sb'd?

if the debt was taken out whilst resident in Scotland

and you are currently still resident in Scotland

its 5 yrs and its extinguished..dead gone.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We recieved a letter today from cabot which said they had bought our Sky account. There was also a letter dated the day before from Sky enclosed in the letter saying they had sold it to Cabot.

Now im currently dealing with Cabot for 3 other matters and one is in court to which the court has told Cabot to get a grip, they are also very over due with the cca for another account.

Anyway, back to the Sky 'debt'. We moved almost 5 years ago (May 2011) but we did cancel the sky package as we weren't going to use them in the new area.

Cabot are inviting me to contaft them to discuss the matter and support us in managing the account. Now im al ost 100% sure theat Sky was in my name, yet the Cabot letter is address to the hubby. Its almost like they are trying to get hubby anyway they can.

So what is the best plan action inshould take on this.

Are you still in Scotland ? If so the debt should be statute barred shortly, if you have not paid for 5 years.

I would suggest not replying yet. Then if you are harassed, send a letter asking for evidence of any debt being owed e.g Sky statement of account. Advise that Sky services were cancelled with nothing owed, as far as you can remember.

What is the total of your debts with Cabot ? I only ask, as some DCA's seem to collect debts owed by one person and if they exceed £5k start threatening bankruptcy, particularly if they note the debtors owns a house. Not sure Cabot are known for this and DCA's have to go down the court judgement route first.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

As far as I can remember we left Sky with no out standing balance, I had paid up to date. The account was def in my name and yet this one that Cabot say we are due is in his name.

We are still in Scotland, so it will soon be statute barred. As for the other stuff, if you read my other post in reagrds to the Clydesdale OD, you will see they as good as got a spanking from the Sheriff here in town. The loan CCA is well overdue and I sent them a follow-up on 21st January. This latest one about the 'SKY' bill is the only correspondence from them, so looks like they are clutching at straws now

I found with a relatives Sky debt for about £50, the various DCA's chased it for years before writing it off. It was a pain in the backside, as the relative had gone abroad and i was getting mail to my address to be forwarded on. The Sky amount was not due anyway, as the service was cancelled with nothing owed, but for some reason Sky added a sum outstanding to the account on cancellation. There was no apparent reason for this, as the account was not within a period where there was a cancellation charge.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

" There was also a letter dated the day before from Sky enclosed in the letter saying they had sold it to Cabot."

Whose named as the account holder on that one ?

Regards

Andy

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these letters from SKY/Cabot for £13 in January 2016. I have been doing my own DMP since 2009 and I know for a fact that I do not owe a penny. I know that the general advice is to ignore the DCA but as I have two accounts with Cabot I decided to poke them with a stick and emailed them to prove it.

It has taken them a few weeks to respond by postal mail and they say that in Conclusion:

Unfortunately I am unable to contact SKY and obtain any documentation or clarification from them in order for me to resolve this matter for you. Upon review of this I have made the decision to remove this account from our collections process. You will not be contacted by Cabot Financial Limited or its agents in relation to this account.

Well I can still access my old SKY account online and it shows a zero balance as it did when I cancelled SKY in 2009 and I have a screen print showing the final payment I had made at that time in 2009 and a clear balance.

Even if this £13 was outstanding it is approaching nearly seven years with no contact from anyone apart from SKY offering deals to come back but no mention of any outstanding balance.

Now I expect them to flog this none existent debt? well if so its a case of prove it still and it is statute bared anyway.

Just a little surprised at the response though but pleased.

Many thanks to all on here, even though I dont usually post I have learnt how to deal with debts and the collection companies and I self manage my DMP but it is down to all the help and advice on here that helped me take control and deal with my debts. So many thanks to all at the consumeractiongroup.

Excellent sean...kind words....delighted that we have proved effective...Cabot appear to be really desperate at the moment and will chase anything with a £ sign on it:wink:

Regards

Andy

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry just gotten back online, the sky letter and cabots letter is in my husbands name, even though sky was in my name.

Today a letter from Advantis came through claiming to be collecting on behalf of their client Cabot...

Time is now 45 days to the debt being definitely statute barred as thats the anniversary we moved and thats exactly 5 yrs to being with our new provider. Its more than likely already statute barred, but I knw by then it will be.

so extinguished..does not exist

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...