esa contribution based

worried54
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If his ESA is entirely contribution based (that is, no portion of it is means tested) then this would not affect his benefit at all. Things like severance pay are counted as capital, which does not affect ESA©.

As Honeybee says, the main type of payments that do affect ESA© are wages, occupational pensions, and payments from income replacement plans. If it's just a one-off payment he receives there's no need to tell the DWP, although you certainly can let them know if it makes you feel more comfortable about things.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure. I think it should be OK - it should properly be regarded as three payments of capital rather than a single lump sum, and it's still not payment for actual hours worked.

But in these circumstances I would declare it to the DWP, and get something in writing from the employer to explain what the money is and why it's being paid in installments. You don't want any suggestion that it's undeclared wages from employment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

That sounds like a good idea. My worry was that at some point in the future a "data matching" exercise between the DWP and HMRC might reveal the payments, and they could look like regular wages/salary payments. Best that your husband covers himself against possible future problems by letting them know in advance what's going on.

I believe his actual entitlement should not be affected but, as I said, I'm not 100% sure.

hi,

this kind of situation is called a settlement agreement which includes a pay off, back pay and all accrued holiday rolled into one payment and can be paid by your employers as a lump sum tax free and free from NI contributions.

normally the employer will also pay the solicitors fees for drawing up the terms etc... and one of the key terms will be that the pay off is kept between the gate and the gatepost.

as he is being dismissed for ill health he will most likely be able to access any company pension he is a member of.

have the company followed their capability procedures properly and does he agree with the company's decision to retire him on ill health grounds as he could ask for reasonable adjustments to be made under the equality act 2010.

regards

hunterandthehunted

They are drawing up a settlement agreement but want to pay over 3months as they say they can't afford to do it in one lump sum. He is happy with the dismissal on health grounds. They have paid his holiday pay but he has been taxed on this. Unite union is dealing with this. Should we ask for it in a lump sum.

Also he has a company pension which he was going to wait until he is 55 in may to take.

A company pension will affect his ESA© entitlement, but he doesn't have to declare that until he actually starts receiving it.