style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Probably not the first to post this but:-

Bailiffs coming knocking for 5p

A bailiff has been sent to a granny's house to demand rent arrears of 5p.

Alice Nelson has lived at the same address for 45 years and has never knowingly been behind with her rent. The bailiff told Alice, of Wigan, Greater Manchester, she had to hand over the 5p there and then.

The gran had received no prior letters about the demand. Alice's daughter Julie said: "We couldn't believe it. She didn't know who this man was knocking on her door. He could have been anybody.

"We didn't know if it was a joke or whether he was trying to get into her house to steal something. I spoke to him over the phone and he explained he had been sent round to collect my mother's arrears.

"I couldn't understand it as my mum had always been up to date with her rent. We're stunned someone would be sent out to collect such a small amount. She paid up the 5p because she didn't know what else to do."

The bailiff was sent by Wigan and Leigh Housing, which manages council homes on behalf of the local authority.

A spokesman said: "We apologise for any distress but we are currently having a strong push to reduce both the amount of rent arrears and the actual number of people in arrears.

"In terms of how our performance is measured it's also important to reduce the number of people in arrears, whatever the amount."

Yeah I read that too - that is truly disgusting - I can't believe what this country is coming to...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

What's even more astounding is the 'spokesman' from Trumpton Town Council or wherever the noxious creep issues from is actually trying to justify this outrage. If I were the bailiff I would say, 'Now hang on a minute...'.

Also, any official statement that begins, 'We apologise...' needs binning, preferably along with the bubble-head who made it. At least they didn't say 'We regret...".

Anybody want to help form the UK's latest political movement, The Common Bloody Sense Party?

• Confused 1

I'm pretty sure most bailiffs would turn up with a big grin on their face, and start the demand with "You're probably going to think this is a wind-up, but..." Unless, of course, they're secretly robots.

• Confused 1

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

• 2 weeks later...
I would have paid the 5p myself if I was the bailiff and gone home for a cuppa!

Same here. Thats just silly. In fact if I was a council official I'd put my hand in my pocket and shell out a whole quid to get these people of the rent arrears book..... second thoughts there's probably a law against that.

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have been inclined to ask for compensation from the council for the stress caused!!!

Cahoot

JBD issued - 27/07/06, warrant issued 08/08/06

First Direct

Settled in Full

Capital One

Prelim Sent

Citi Financial

Offer of difference betwen £30 and £12

GE Capital - Evans Card, Data Protection Act

Argos Card, DPA

Barclay Card, 8th May-DPA, 14th July- 2nd DPA (asking complete history!!)

Egg Card & Egg Loan,DPA

NatWest Card

LBA

Vodfone

3rd letter re: default

Studio & Ace

Prelim for Studio e-mailed

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks