Can't work out what benefits I am entitled to

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I hope someone here can help. I have a mental health illness that prevents me from working. I have acute anxiety disorder and depression which, in most cases, prevents me from leaving the house. However, from the research I have done, disability benefits are only available if you need care. Is this correct?

If so, are there other benefits I'm eligible for?

Many thanks

Some questions:

- are you renting

- do you have a partner

- savings of over £6k

You can get benefits if you have care and /or mobility needs and /or are unable to work. If you claim benefits on the basis of care and /or mobility needs, your savings and whether you have a partner, doesn't matter.

Hi Honeybee13

Many thanks for your reply. I'm not claiming anything at the moment. Thanks also for the link. However it got a bit confused and just focused on tax credits and child benefit and since my ex wife looks after the kids, she's probably already claiming them. It skipped the pages on disability for some reason, but thanks anyway.

O

Hi Nystagmite

I'm living with parents again. I don't have a partner and on the verge of bankruptcy but I am unable to work. I think I have to phone the benefits office it's just that I can't really leave the house so I don't want to be called in for an interview. Well, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

O

Are you getting any help with your debts?

You should be entitled to ESA (employment support allowance) because you're unable to work. You have to send in fit notes for this. You (although, I'm sure someone can phone on your behalf) have to phone to make to a claim.

Thanks Nystagmite

I'm not getting help with debts - I don't know where to start.

I did look in to ESA, but you have to join support groups etc., which turns my blood cold. Hopefully, there's a better solution out there. Thanks again.

O

Thanks Nystagmite

I'm not getting help with debts - I don't know where to start.

I did look in to ESA, but you have to join support groups etc., which turns my blood cold. Hopefully, there's a better solution out there. Thanks again.

O

You don't join support groups, they can't make you do that, I don't think. The Support Group is for people who have no forseeable prospect of working. Most people are in the WRAG, work-related group.

Sadly, if you want State money, there are hoops to jump through these days.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The support group is for those of us with little or no prospect of finding employment, this is the group you want to be placed in as the DWP leave you alone, for a time.

It is the WRAG group which will mean you going to the JCP on a weekly basis, to be treated like a criminal and belittled.

If you can cope without the interference of corrupt government departments then do so, but if you're willing to fight

tooth and nail every step of the way for a modicum of social security, because it isn't benefits, it is a safety net for everyone who has paid

into it to stop you from sinking under, then start your claim asap.

Edited by honeybee13
Pejorative term removed.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks so much for all your input everyone. I've been freaking out about this and trying (unsuccessfully) to ignore all the aggressive bailiffs banging on the doors and windows. I will apply asap.

Thanks again for all your support.

O

I've been freaking out about this and trying (unsuccessfully) to ignore all the aggressive bailiffs banging on the doors and windows. I will apply asap.

Who are these ''bailiffs''?

Do you owe council tax then? Or court fines?

Tell us about the debts you have.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes, I owe council tax (and a whole heap of other stuff) who have passed on the debt to Bristow ans Suiter (or something like that). They have issued a CCJ and have now started making home visits with a view of repossessing the contents of the flat. They have told me any attempt to remove items will result in contempt of court. However, I phoned the council who told me that for council tax non-payment, they can't repossess and that the DCA was just feeding me crap (just don't leave any windows or doors unlocked and open the door to no one). However, they are unable to take back the debt. I also phoned the DCA and have come to an installment arrangement with them (perhaps a mistake) and was told I could remove the contents of my flat and no further house calls will be made.

So I guess that the immediate issue is resolved and I can now move out. I don't want to avoid paying, it's just that, at the moment, I can't.

OK, council tax is a priority debt, and if Bristow & Suitor are involved, then they will need paying.

If you have come to an arrangement with B&S and you can manage it, then all well and good, but if it leaves you struggling each week/month, then

you need to renegotiate the arrangement.

There is a very real difference between bailiffs and a DCA, if you're dealing with B&S then they are bailiffs.

DCA's are powerless wannabes, if you have any debts with DCA's can you list them?

DCA's generally go after the scraps at the bottom of the barrel, the non priority debts, and as they're non priority they attract the legal token payment of £1 a month as your priority, is to get rid of this CT debt.