Claiming benefits with too much money in the bank?

textbook
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend transferred some money out of his bank account to an etrade account as he thinks he will lose his job in a couple of months, and wanted less than £6,000 in the account, but worries that housing benefit and DWP will do data matching or go into his accounts and see the transaction and then look into the etrade account (which isn't trading at the moment). Will they notice the money being sent out, do they monitor transactions three months before and do data matching? Does the DWP employ credit reference agencies who pick up on these transactions and etrade accounts?

He's thinking of closing this bank account and opening another one in another bank. To stop this transaction being fund for £6,000 out of account. Obviously, he will get contribution based benefits after working for four years.

Yeah, we can give factual information here but we're not going to advise anyone on how to commit fraud.

So, first off - if he's entitled to contribution based JSA, his savings will not affect his entitlement. Of course, if he needs JSA for longer than the 26 week JSA© period, he would need to claim income based JSA, which would be affected. For reference, JSA(IB) is reduced by £1 per week for every £250 (or part thereof) in savings that he has over £6000. If he has £16,000 or more, he will not be entitled to JSA(IB).

It would be extremely unwise for him to attempt to hide the money from the DWP.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yeah, we can give factual information here but we're not going to advise anyone on how to commit fraud.

So, first off - if he's entitled to contribution based JSA, his savings will not affect his entitlement. Of course, if he needs JSA for longer than the 26 week JSA© period, he would need to claim income based JSA, which would be affected. For reference, JSA(IB) is reduced by £1 per week for every £250 (or part thereof) in savings that he has over £6000. If he has £16,000 or more, he will not be entitled to JSA(IB).

It would be extremely unwise for him to attempt to hide the money from the DWP.

Yeah that's what I said, even if he closes that debit card account and opens a new one in another bank they might still find this transaction through using the credit check companies and then the etrade account.

Whats worse is that if detected years down the line, a prosecution may occur, and a heft BACKPAYMENT demanded as well. And a debt to the government never goes statute barred.

We sometimes get people coming here asking for help for a overpayment that happened 12 years ago.....

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

not for fraud detection

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

It is always sad to read posts regarding people like the OP's friend. It is this minority of greedy gits who give the majority of claimants who are in genuine need a bad name. Income based benefits are for people who do not have any money or very little money. £6k is a nice sum to be allowed to keep for emergencies. Many on IR benefits would wish they had that amount. Any more than that and, quite rightly, you're expected to live off it until it has been whittled down to the minimum. And can be proven as such. Personally, I think that is very fair and very right. IR benefits are a much needed safety net not a right for those who can afford to support themselves for a while or longer.

I wouldn't wish to remain friends with someone who's character turned out to be that of a fraudster and a thief. I wouldn't trust them around what little possessions I have.

data-matching exercises routinely look at capital over the last 3 or 4 years

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

So he has already transferred 6k and had another 3k in his accounts!!!

Personally, I hope he gets found out and gets a criminal record for benefit fraud if hr continues down this route. I work damn hard to earn my money and I don't mind paying taxes and insurances to help those that need help. But the thought of my money, and everyone else's, paying for some low life **** to live cushty is sickening.

And yes, I mean it when I say low life ****.

I am closing this thread, CAG does not condone fraud.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have also unapproved posts condoning and instructing on how to commit fraud.

If that is the kind of advice you want to give or receive then you have arrived at the wrong forum.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks