CSA threatening legal action over money I never owed them

joan_of_arc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my son started residing with my ex-husband 7 years ago when he was 12. My ex-husband never claimed any money from the Child Support Agency as he was earning a good salary and I wasn't bringing in any income. However the CSA have demanded money me ever since - I've ignored all communication until last week I got a letter from them demanding child maintenance arrears of £300 (for my son who is now 19) and threatening court action!

HELP! What should I do?

Pay it. It is reasonable to expect the non resident parent to contribute towards the cost of bringing up their child...

Did you even read the first post ?

The PWC (ex-husband) hasn't made a claim, so any money the OP pays to the CSA will go to who exactly ? How will that money contribute toward the cost of bringing up the child if it is kept by the CSA ?

To the OP: Contact the CSA and find out who this money will be going to. If it is going to your ex, either get him to contact the CSA and cancel any claim or, as it sounds like you are on agreeable terms with him, pay it and get him to give you it back.

Well to be honest I did read the first post. Her ex husband says he hasn't claimed but why would the CSA be involved if someone hadn't have contacted them in the first place? They don't automatically get notified when couples split up. Someone isn't being honest here and I suspect its the OP's ex husband

OK I checked guys and my ex-husband has never put in any claims. He's being honest, I can tell. Could this have stemmed from the fact that when we separated I was claiming income support and the CSA started proceedings from that?

OK I checked guys and my ex-husband has never put in any claims. He's being honest, I can tell. Could this have stemmed from the fact that when we separated I was claiming income support and the CSA started proceedings from that?

Sounds a bit odd and therefore i think you should write back to the CSA asking for precise details as to why they think the money is owed.

Why £300 , as that does not seem much and who would it go to. Ask the CSA ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

No it won't be because of your Income Support Claim. Someone has to phone the CSA and set up the claim and to do that they would need your details, your ex partners details and the names/dates of birth of the child(ren) involved. I have to say I don't think he is being honest with you at all. Can only agree with Unclebulgaria67 and advise that you write to the CSA asking for the exact details of this claim against you

Help needed please.

My husband has a court order for child maintenance which he has paid every month on time. His ex wife has stopped him access even though he is supposed to see the child on a weekly basis. Last month his ex had the child call wanting the maintenance and as he only hears from the child when the money is due he did not answer the phone and paid two days late - anyway the ex has contacted the CSA (or whatever they are called now) and they are putting up the money by £100 per month which we do not have - this means our child will have to seriously do without to pay the extra.

Until the ex and child stopped contact we have had her for at least one night per week, and every couple of months for a week at a time.

Any advice would be appreciated as to what we can do.

Thanks in advance.

They say it is based on what he earned last year - last year he worked an extra day per month but this year is not. I said £100 but it is actually £97 and some pennies.

The ex wanted cash and that is how it has been paid all along. There are no arrears and the letter states this.

We have also as a couple had to pay off a lot of joint debts they accrued (hubby didn't tell me before he started paying them as they would have been SB)

First off, if you are sure the joint debts would have been SB before he started paying them off, stop paying them now.

The CSA calculation should be made on his expected salary for this year. They will get that info from his employer.

I hope he is getting receipts for the cash he is handing over. If the ex denies receiving the money, the CSA will say he is in arrears.

• 2 weeks later...
No it won't be because of your Income Support Claim. Someone has to phone the CSA and set up the claim and to do that they would need your details, your ex partners details and the names/dates of birth of the child(ren) involved. I have to say I don't think he is being honest with you at all. Can only agree with Unclebulgaria67 and advise that you write to the CSA asking for the exact details of this claim against you

OK thanks unclebulgaria67 and Ros1609, will do. I agree £300 exactly seems a weird amount to be asking for.