Funeral Payment Application

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following the loss of my late husband I have submitted an application to the DWP Social Fund for assistance with a Funeral payment. At the time of telephoning the DWP the clerk obviously hadn't had empathy training but that's being dealt with seperately, but he sent the form out.

Apparently, their rules are that they will make payment(s) directly to the funeral directors if the whole amount has not been paid in full. Surely that implies I wouldn't pay the F/D and brands me a thief of public funds?

I have paid the third party dispersements of £3K (short term loan from family friend) in order to book the funeral and the balance is just over £2.5K (without headstone).

If I cannot get this decision changed it will leave me in very deep financial difficulty :(

I am trying to locate the DWP Director of Social Fund unit to raise my concerns with them about the handling of my application and would appreciate any guidance on this matter. I have searched the gov website etc but to no avail.

NOTE: I am aware of my other similar post regarding this matter but as this is to do with benefits I thought I would try to simplify it for this area and to remove the sensitivity from it - Hope that is ok?

Thanks in advance.

Shelley

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

Hello Shelley.

We have recently had a bereavement in the family. Have you applied to the Social Fund rather than the bereavement allowance?

In our case, the bereavement allowance was paid directly to the widow.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Honeybee13,

The Social Fund application is for assistance with the funeral payment. I am in receipt of the Bereavement allowance, that is a different benefit.

Shelley

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

My mum had to apply for help last year, they gave around £1300 (thats around the maximum they give with a funeral payment) and it was paid directly to the funeral home also.

There was no option to have the payment paid to my mum.

Honeybee that's already in payment thank you.

DMG, I will know on Thursday what they are prepared to payout but I am already in process of drafting up my appeal to their decision because the process is wrong for this payment - to pay direct to the funeral directors implies we would all deprive the funeral directors of the funds. The DWP call centre staff have not handled my case very well neither have the funeral directors so I am challenging them both.

There is the option to pay the claimant when they have evidence that the funeral has been paid in full but that defeats the object of hardship and requiring the funds in the first place.