Pet Insurance Exclusion (tail injury)

orge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Our cat has degloved her tail and needs to have it amputated and it's going to be v expensive. :( I have insurance for her, but here is an exclusion for "tail conditions", which was as a result of a cat fight she had before I took the policy out. Unfortunately, the insurers aren't available until tomorrow morning, so I don't know 100% whether they will honour a claim.

It would seem like an overly broad interpretation of pre-existing, but I don't trust the insurers to try to get out of it in a technicality... Fwiw, I have never agreed to the exclusion in writing, as it was added after they got her notes from our vet.

Not a good day! :(

J

If the tail was damaged before the policy was taken out, then the policy would not cover the vets bill. Your Vet appears to have record of the tail damage, so I doubt it is even worth speaking to the Insurers. The only slight chance, is if Vet can confirm in writing that the latest tail problem is nothing to do with what happened previously.

If you have to fund it yourself, do some phoning around, as there is huge difference between what Vets charge. If you are on low income, see if there is a local PDSA surgery.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My 4 legged furry fiend is currently in a buster collar recovering from a tail injury. I know how much stress you must be going through.

I hope you can find some help to fund the procedure and hope kitty gets well soon.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

My 4 legged furry fiend is currently in a buster collar recovering from a tail injury. I know how much stress you must be going through.

I hope you can find some help to fund the procedure and hope kitty gets well soon.

Vets make a lot of money. Apparently some people with money to invest, help set up Vets practices, as it is one of the best investments you can make. There are huge numbers of animals and in comparison not that many Vets.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for the replies - I forgot to subscribe to the thread, so only just spotted them now.

This injury happened this weekend when she was nearly run over by a car, it is most definitely nothing to do with the previous history. I've spoken to the insurers and they've not committed to anything over the phone but encouraged me to put a claim in so they can review.

On the plus side, the cat is doing well after the surgery - eating like a horse and whinging to be let out. Her post-op check-up was promising as well.

It's gonna be tough not to nickname her stumpy from now on though... ;)

Thanks again! :)

J

Thanks for the replies - I forgot to subscribe to the thread, so only just spotted them now.

This injury happened this weekend when she was nearly run over by a car, it is most definitely nothing to do with the previous history. I've spoken to the insurers and they've not committed to anything over the phone but encouraged me to put a claim in so they can review.

On the plus side, the cat is doing well after the surgery - eating like a horse and whinging to be let out. Her post-op check-up was promising as well.

It's gonna be tough not to nickname her stumpy from now on though... ;)

Thanks again! :)

J

Get the Vet to confirm in writing that the tail damage was a new event and nothing to do with what was previously disclosed.

I'm pleased to hear about the cat, orge. It's always a worry when they have to have treatment, isn't it?

I don't know if she needs a nickname like that, to add insult to injury. Lady cats have their pride, you know. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

When was the exclusion re the tail added to the policy and what caused it to be added to the policy.

eg

Have they retrospectively added it to the policy following them looking into your cats health following the recent claim?

Out of interest, is the Insurer E&L?

Heh! She's used to lots of disparaging nicknames - she gives as good as she gets in this household though. ;)

The exclusion was added to the policy a while ago. It was added because she suffered a cat fight injury to the tail before the insurance was taken out.

They added this after they reviewed her history in relation to another claim.

The insurer is pinnacle.

I've asked the vet to emphasise that this is a completely new/unrelated injury, so will see how it goes with the insurer.

Thanks,

James