What is the point in complaining to the Energy Ombudsman?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I complained to the Energy Ombudsman last June about British Gas Business. We had been in dispute since 2010. I've had a "report" which is totally inaccurate and based on a telephone conversation that the EO had with BGB the same morning as the verbal report was given. BGB had not supplied any correspondence to support their answers to my complaint which was supported by correspondence. I have been informed by the EO that it has no power to enforce disclosure of correspondence. Apparently the "report" is not a final decision, I or BGB have to take it a step further by providing more evidence. A previous offer made by BGB (in writing to me) was denied by BGB. That offer accepted responsibility for poor service including the attendance at my shop by a BGB representative looking for payment despite the fact that I had been told I would not be pursued whilst the matter was investigated. I paid by cheque in full under the duress of a shop full of customers. This low life wanted cash and made the throw away remark that if the cheque bounced, "and it probably would" he'd be back to disconnect. Of course the cheque did not bounce but when I complained about his manner I was told that I should have paid by debit card, it would have cleared quicker than the 16 days for the cheque! I am now interested in hearing others dealings with the Energy Ombudsman. I mean let's be honest if you were BG it is much easier not to pass on any information and pay a small amount of compensation but still demand the bill. It appears to me that the EO's system is flawed before it starts. Any interest?

What is the point in complaining to the Energy Ombudsman?

This is a very difficult question and I doubt whether anyone knows. Despite that, people seem to do it all the time instead of pursuing a more direct and aggressive approach such as going to the County Court.

In the County Court there is full transparency, an independent judge, sanctions for not providing documents on time or meeting other deadlines, very sensible awards, kudos for the winner and shame for the loser, power to order disclosure of documents. The Utilities Companies hate it and would much rather that their angry customers went to the Ombudsman.

What is the point of going to the Ombudsman? I really have no idea - but you did it and you have been with us since 2011. Why did you do it? You must know the answer.

I suppose that you haven't read our customer services guide either.

I don't quite understand your last couple of paragraphs Bankfodder, but the rest I agree with.

Terriersaregreat, I took a case to the ombudsman last June. It was clear from their final response that they could not or would not read my correspondence, and their judgement (not in my favour) really proved that. When I complained it was suggested that I contact Ofgem, which I now know was dud advice. A glutton for punishment, I took the same case to the Ombudsman again last October and a few weeks ago they asked me to sign a form that only half presented my case, so I modified it and sent it back. They sent me another form, which now three quarters presented my case, so I modified it and sent it back. Maybe the next form they send will be perfect.

Who knows what their problems are. Too many cases? Too few experienced staff? Or is a service that is kept alive by the energy companies cash never really going to be keen to bite the hand that feeds it?

I only know that if the ombusman fails me a second time I will take the matter to the county court, but only after I've emailed every (grossly overpaid I am sure) executive on the ombudsman services board.

The energy ombudsman is a complete waste of time. The process is run via Martin Abraham at Ofgem ( a man who is the problem rather than the solution to your problems on matters related to energy at Ofgem) and is designed to delay you taking any court action.

The Energy Ombudsman's remit is very limited and their is no legal obligation for the consumer to use such a system and or accept a final decision from the Ombudsman. The legal obligation is on the Energy companies to have in place such a system for you to use 2008 No. 1898The Gas and Electricity (Consumer Complaints Handling Standards) Regulations 2008.

The energy Ombudsman cannot take enforcement action against energy companies, as that is Ofgem's job.

If you use the complaints handling route the energy companies count down to the 8 week deadlock/final position letter trap awaiting those unfamiliar with the statutory complaints handling procedure adopted by the energy companies. Be aware of this trap. Its a con used by energy companies.

The energy Ombudsman is failing to cut complaints, do his job professionally in my experience.

You can complain about the Energy Ombudsman service if you are also unhappy.

Also be aware, Ofgem are also incapable of taking enforcement action against energy companies, although the have responsibility to do so. They are responsible for regulation and enforcement in the energy sector.

Has anyone else had bad experience of Ofgem not taking enforcement action when energy companies breach their standard licence conditions?

• 5 months later...

Sorry not to have continued with this thread for some reason did not receive any notifications that there had been responses. Anyway thanks for your responses. I did not accept the offer from the Ombudsman as I would have had to agree not to take any futher action. I don't really understand the response from BankFodder as I was seeking whether others had had similar problems. I should also have pointed out that I had numerous emails and very rarely contact by phone. It was in fact the Ombudsman who contacted me by phone. I requested everything in writing which seemed to really upset them! I now have their responses in writing. Not quite sure I agree with BankFodders second paragraph either.....have to say not my experience.