Solicitors and complaints against them

alanty
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

I've started the petition "Rt Hon David Cameron MP: Rectify a major injustice" and need your help to get it off the ground.

Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-david-cameron-mp-rectify-a-major-injustice

Here's why it's important:

In 2009 I made a complaint about the solicitor engaged to handle my late father’s estate. The solicitor quoted 30 hours to do the work but eventually charged the estate 131.9 hours to do the work. Should the public be ripped off by those in a position of trust who are supposed to act in our best interests?

I made a complaint to the solicitor and he declined to respond to my complaint because I was only a beneficiary of the estate and not his firm’s client. My complaint was escalated to the Law Society after those acting on its behalf assured me that I would not be liable for any costs.

The complaint has ended up costing me over £108k most of which has gone to the solicitor I complained about. My wife and I nearly lost our house and were almost made homeless because of the ruthless way in which this solicitor sought to enforce the cost order he obtained against me.

My story was covered on BBC North West tonight on 24 March 2014 and again on BBC Rip of Britain in Series 6 Episode 18 on 8 October 2014. The matter was brought to the Government’s attention at Justice Questions on 12 November 2013 and again at Prime Minister’s Questions on 9 April 2014 by my local MP Mr Simon Danczuk.

My MP described the solicitor as “The Solicitor from Hell” and the SRA described his behaviour as “Morally Reprehensible”. Clearly the system for regulating solicitors is not fit for purpose and the Legal Profession is unwilling or unable to deal with such corrupt and fraudulent practices. How can a profession whose members are supposed to be trusted to the ends of the earth act with such a complete lack of integrity?

This matter has been taken up with the Prime Minister who promised that his Justice Minister would look into the remedies available to me. The Minister says the Law Society is responsible yet solicitors acting for it say I have no claim against it. Clearly in UK law I do not have any remedy to reclaim the losses suffered from making such a complaint.

I call on the Prime Minister and his Government to act with integrity in this matter and rectify the injustice which I have suffered. It cannot be fair and reasonable that someone making a genuine complaint must bear such a heavy cost for investigating it.

You can sign my petition on the link above. Please copy my e-mail to those who you think might support it.

Thanks!

Paul Cowdrey