Windows or laptop problem ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

whats your laptop model number.

you're win 7, first thing is try that safe mode start, see if there are any probs. if not, then seems likely to be a driver/software issue somewhere.

IMO

:-):rant:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats your laptop model number.

you're win 7, first thing is try that safe mode start, see if there are any probs. if not, then seems likely to be a driver issue somewhere.

Asus X52F Windows 7 up to date.

I have done troubleshooting and it suggests too many programs on start up, so I have removed some, after checking online that it was safe to do so. It may do the trick.

I think it could well be the graphics driver that is not starting and I will have to try the msconfig change advised earlier in the thread. If it were a problem with the graphic chipset, I would have thought I would have problems with the laptop in normal use.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

starting in safe mode wld show whether could be yr specific graphics drivers, as they wont get loaded. try safe mode.

I tried the safe mode. It had the same problem on restart with a blank screen. Had to turn off a few times and use con/alt/del to fire it into action. I was then able to log on in safe mode and it just had the limited graphic as you would expect.

I then did the msconfig to change back to a normal boot and when restarting it behave normally, although the recent Windows 7 updates had failed.

I am having problems with Windows updates at the moment. MS seem to be issuing loads of these as important security updates, but according to reports online, they are causing problems.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

yes, just the basic display drivers in safe mode.

all working ok now then?

unsurprising that their raft of updates cause some probs to some pc's. thats what i thought may have happened with yours before as you said had just done some updates.

IMO

:-):rant:

yes, just the basic display drivers in safe mode.

all working ok now then?

unsurprising that their raft of updates cause some probs to some pc's. thats what i thought may have happened with yours before as you said had just done some updates.

I have had the same problem again today. It is behaving a bit strangely, as when I do manage to get it to start, some of the settings have been changes e.g size of program icons on desktop, the power display warning were different.

Having done some reading around, it would appear that some of the Windows program has become corrupted, just through having been used for about 4 years, with the updates.

I could go for a total reinstall of Windows but I would have to get disc, as Windows was preloaded and no disc supplied.

I could go for a total reinstall of Windows but I would have to get disc, as Windows was preloaded and no disc supplied.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Above link will allow you to download a copy of Windows 7 which you can transfer to dvd, memory stick etc.

A complete reinstall does seem to be the easiest solution for you.

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

They often have recovery built in from a keypress as the PC starts

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres

They often have recovery built in from a keypress as the PC starts

I think when I have done a soft boot using con/alt/del, it does some form of recovery. It is a good thing that con/alt/del exists, because it manages to resolve issues on many occasions.

Thanks guys for the links. I think I will do a copy of windows 7 as a back up, just in case I need to do a system reinstall.

I am not that great with amending the coding on computers, but I suspect the problem is some software coding has gone missing and this is why I am getting a blank screen on restart. Microsoft Windows has always been a problem and might be the reason why they are giving away Windows 10. As the new versions are issued, they seem to be less reliable. I don't remember problems with Windows XP.

tap F9 at power on is common for the built in recovery on asus models

there may be options to back up data or only do a refresh install which will not lose your data, but be careful, most recoveries lose all your data, passwords etc and software installs

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

• 2 weeks later...

Still have a problem with restart. It starts up according to the lights and windows start up sound, but nothing displayed on screeen. The backlights on the screen light up but no graphics. You then have to hold down the start button for awhile to turn off. Switch it back on and use ctr/alt/del loads of times before it decides eventually to start up with the screen working.

Have been looking online for problems. One suggestion is that the RAM cards may be faulty or lose and may need replacing or just being secured better. But why would it be causing the problem explained above. When I do eventually manage to get the laptop working it does not show any signs of there being a memory problem.

It could be a problem with the graphics adapter being powered up, but I would expect to have problems all of the time and not just on restart. It could be a software problem that the graphic adapter is not being instructed to work on normal start up.

Don't know !

Nb. I have done a diagnostic check on the hard drive and there are no errors.

did you reinstall windows?

on an older computer I had a similar problem with xp, i tried win 7 and same problem. (graphics). so i assumed it was faulty internals.

i then tried ubuntu install and everything worked fine. then i tried dual boot, to choose windows or ubuntu. display would fail in windows but not ubuntu.

i know that doesn't help you out, but if problem gets worse, you could always give ubuntu a try since it seems to bring faulty computers back to life.

start windows in safe mode and clear out all the rubbish that starts with it (msconfig), restart again in safe mode and run the free malwarebytes anti-malware in safe mode.

There are guides on the windows 7 forums to do this

heres an example :

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Your description of the issue leads me to favour that the issue is some crap starting up with windows.

start windows in safe mode and clear out all the rubbish that starts with it (msconfig), restart again in safe mode and run the free malwarebytes anti-malware in safe mode.

There are guides on the windows 7 forums to do this

heres an example :

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Your description of the issue leads me to favour that the issue is some crap starting up with windows.

I have tried that and no joy. I also tried to download the latest Intel driver for the graphics I have and that did not work. It actually appeared to crash on trying to install it, so it may be the onboard graphics chipset or a component is on its way out.

I have also read that it may be a BIOS problem and it may be fixed by taking the BIOS battery out for 15-30 minutes, putting it back in and firing up the laptop. Why a BIOS problem would stop the laprop screen from not showing anything on restart, I am not sure. People have tried this to fix their problem which appears to be the same as mine and it worked apparently.

Confused.

I have tried that and no joy. I also tried to download the latest Intel driver for the graphics I have and that did not work. It actually appeared to crash on trying to install it, so it may be the onboard graphics chipset or a component is on its way out.

I have also read that it may be a BIOS problem and it may be fixed by taking the BIOS battery out for 15-30 minutes, putting it back in and firing up the laptop. Why a BIOS problem would stop the laprop screen from not showing anything on restart, I am not sure. People have tried this to fix their problem which appears to be the same as mine and it worked apparently.

Confused.

It is possible, that the bios has lost some of the information on the video chipset, which could happen when the bios battery is low or removed - so you could be making matters worse so the OS (windows) if you remove the cmos/bios battery.

This results in the OS not being able to properly identify the chipset and allocate drivers.

Manually force installing the wrong drivers can do the same.

Bios battery issues are also caused in laptops by the main battery being allowed to run totally flat, perhaps by being left for some time uncharged.

First have you backed up all the data you do not wish to lose?

Secondly: Do you have access to ASer recovery via f9? or have you made the windows installation discs from the recovery options?

regards

TJ

It is possible, that the bios has lost some of the information on the video chipset, which could happen when the bios battery is low or removed - so you could be making matters worse so the OS (windows) if you remove the cmos/bios battery.

This results in the OS not being able to properly identify the chipset and allocate drivers.

Manually force installing the wrong drivers can do the same.

Bios battery issues are also caused in laptops by the main battery being allowed to run totally flat, perhaps by being left for some time uncharged.

First have you backed up all the data you do not wish to lose?

Secondly: Do you have access to ASer recovery via f9? or have you made the windows installation discs from the recovery options?

regards

TJ

A BIOS battery should last about 7 years from what I read. Laptop is about 4 years old.

When I restart I cannot see any graphic on screen to see whether F8 or F9 has worked. I think it is showing the boot options on F8, as if I hit return, I can hear windows loading.

The problem appears to be missing instructions on restart telling the laptop screen to show the graphics. Doing ctl/alt/del repeatedly for a long time eventually triggers a soft boot and the system starts normally.

I will download a copy of Windows 7 (mine came preloaded) and see what repair options it offers. Perhaps it will reinstall whatever is missing ?

A BIOS battery should last about 7 years from what I read. Laptop is about 4 years old.

When I restart I cannot see any graphic on screen to see whether F8 or F9 has worked. I think it is showing the boot options on F8, as if I hit return, I can hear windows loading.

The problem appears to be missing instructions on restart telling the laptop screen to show the graphics. Doing ctl/alt/del repeatedly for a long time eventually triggers a soft boot and the system starts normally.

I will download a copy of Windows 7 (mine came preloaded) and see what repair options it offers. Perhaps it will reinstall whatever is missing ?

F9/F8 should be tapped as soon as you physically power on the machin, leave it a second too late and it won.t work.

Both of these should at least initially display in default vga so should work even if the drivers are kaput.

F9/F8 should be tapped as soon as you physically power on the machin, leave it a second too late and it won.t work.

Both of these should at least initially display in default vga so should work even if the drivers are kaput.

Does not work. Tried it on many occasions.

I think there is something wrong with the BIOS settings. Trouble in on my ASUS, you have to press F2 on restart and it should then enable the original default setting to be restored.

If the ctr/alt/del works eventually to force the system to soft boot, this makes me think it is a software problem and not hardware.

With ASUS they have installed the system recovery options, which are accessible via f9 on restart. But I have so far not been able to access them. I am trying to find another way to do it.

if you f2 to bios and choose load default settings, then save and exit, what happens?

If it loses them again after manually selecting - reset to defaults and saving on exit, then the cmos/bios battery is dead

F8 is a windows feature so has nothing to do with the cmos and should work whatever unless the windows install itself has been compromised.

(or your keyboard isn't working right)

So :

power off machine.

Power on - immediately tapping f8

if you get the blank screen and the machine appears paused, then tap the arrow down key once, then enter.

machine should start in safe mode

if you f2 to bios and choose load default settings, then save and exit, what happens?

If it loses them again after manually selecting - reset to defaults and saving on exit, then the cmos/bios battery is dead

F8 is a windows feature so has nothing to do with the cmos and should work whatever unless the windows install itself has been compromised.

(or your keyboard isn't working right)

So :

power off machine.

Power on - immediately tapping f8

if you get the blank screen and the machine appears paused, then tap the arrow down key once, then enter.

machine should start in safe mode

I can't get the F2 thing to work either, as the screen is blank, so I can't see whether it has come up or not.

ASUS has a BIOS default setting which can be downloaded and then you can use a programme called Winflash to update the BIOS. In theory, if this worked, when restarting the screen should show and I can then use F2 to confirm. Just a bit scared of doing this, just in case it makes it worse.

I downloaded a programme PC healthboost which suggests some issues, but I cannot be bothered to spend £20 on software when it may not do the trick. I have fallen for this before and ended up with software that was useless. When I downloaded it, there was a suggestion it was free, but that is only for some fixes and if you want to fix the rest you have to pay for the full programme.

I hate that type of 'ransomware' program tht is free to download and doesn't mention anywhere until you've run it that you need to pay - if they were honest to begin with then I might pay, but no way if they cheat.

Have you downloaded any updates from the Asus site that might help.

I can't get the F2 thing to work either, as the screen is blank, so I can't see whether it has come up or not.

ASUS has a BIOS default setting which can be downloaded and then you can use a programme called Winflash to update the BIOS. In theory, if this worked, when restarting the screen should show and I can then use F2 to confirm. Just a bit scared of doing this, just in case it makes it worse.

I downloaded a programme PC healthboost which suggests some issues, but I cannot be bothered to spend £20 on software when it may not do the trick. I have fallen for this before and ended up with software that was useless. When I downloaded it, there was a suggestion it was free, but that is only for some fixes and if you want to fix the rest you have to pay for the full programme.

Oh dear

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/uninstall-pc-health-boost/f7d5d92c-6e8c-4e88-b515-457ad4371aa6

If you cant get f* to work, either you have spilled something on your KB and 'broke it, or you simply aren't doing the F8 or F2 'dance correctly, or you aren't completely powering off the machine - Remove the power supply and take the battery out to ensure it is OFF not asleep.

If you can get to windows, as it seems you can, then download and run malwarebytes anti-malware free version. Here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/

The f9 'dance'

safe mode without tap

Oh dear

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/uninstall-pc-health-boost/f7d5d92c-6e8c-4e88-b515-457ad4371aa6

If you cant get f* to work, either you have spilled something on your KB and 'broke it, or you simply aren't doing the F8 or F2 'dance correctly, or you aren't completely powering off the machine - Remove the power supply and take the battery out to ensure it is OFF not asleep.

If you can get to windows, as it seems you can, then download and run malwarebytes anti-malware free version. Here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/

The f9 'dance'

safe mode without tap

Thanks.

When the laptop manages to boot up ok, it works normally without any issues. The f functions work ok, when the laptop starts properly.

It is just a problem at start up in getting the screen to display anything, without having to do the ctl/alt/del soft boot numerous times. The f keys may work, but as I can't see anything, I can't be sure of this.

Reading around, it appear that what I am experiencing is standard for ASUS machines which are a few years old. I notice that logging into the ASUS site that they do not really support laptops which are more than 3 years old. There are a few software items, but that is about it.

I am sensing a bit of skulduggery at play, with some of the way the manufacturer and Microsoft caters for support, ensures that people start to see problems when a laptop is starting to get old. They would of course want people to buy a new laptop after a few years, as it would not make sense if they lasted more than 5 years. My laptop is coming to being 4 years old. If others are reporting similar issues, it cannot be a coincidence.