Any ways not to have my details on the electoral roll?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an electoral roll official guy turning up on my doorstep,

asking to update/provide my details for the electoral roll register.

He always picks a sunday evening for this which is very wierd,

has he not got a life or is he getting a percentage out of it....? Hahaha.

i live with other ppl in a shared house and he doesn't care that nobody else in my house is registered

because they are refusing to provide their details.

A few years ago when this electoral roll bullsh.. started,

I was living at this same address with a different set of ppl and (without my permission) annoyingly

those guys provided my details to that female official who came to register the ppl at this address.

At that time I happened to just got home while they were in the middle of it and I was 'threatened' by this female official (if we can call it that...)

that if I don't provide my full and truthful details, I'll get a fine of up to 5000 pounds.

This happened 2 years ago.

Last year however I did not fill in a new form.

In May i moved out from here.

After living somewhere else for 5 months, I ended up back at this same address and living here since.

Funnily I'm due to move out again before the end of the year,

got landlord's (unofficial) notice (as I have no signed tenancy contract - and nobody else does).

So I'm being informed that if I don't provide my details again on the form the official left here for me today, I will be fined up to 5000 GBP.

My housemates just keep telling him that they do not live here and he just leaves it at that even though it's blatantly obvious that they do live here.

Last year I did not update my details on the electoral roll and I did not receive a fine whatsoever (probably that is due to moving so frequently).

I am not trying to dodge anything or be running from anything, it just happens that I am unlucky with the houseshares where I chose to live.

I am really not happy about having my details on government databases and God knows where else where they sell my data to. I am not a british national and couldn't care less about voting and really don't think I will ever get to the financial stage to apply for a mortgage so for these reasons I don't want to fill in the form again.

Basically I am looking for a legit way out of this constant, nagging, pain in the backside electoral roll bullsh..

Such an annoyance! The official brought a form again today (sunday) with my name and current address on it and said to my housemates that if I do not fill in and send it within 7 days, I'll get a 5000 GBP fine!

Really makes me feel wanting to slap him across the face, lucky it wasn't me he said this to!

Maybe the guy picks Sunday evening, because although he hates giving up his Sunday evening, it is when he gets more people at home than during the day, during the week.

Maybe the guy doesn't really want to deal with people "wanting to slap him across the face" for trying to ensure those with the right to vote can do so, but does so, because it's a job, not a parasite job like working for a DCA, but a job working towards "Representation of the people".

since you are "not a british national" : you've chosen to be in the UK. You don't get to pick and choose which UK laws apply to you.

The Electoral Roll also provides info for planning of services (as the census is only every 10 years).

You " couldn't care less about voting and really don't think I will ever get to the financial stage to apply for a mortgage so for these reasons I don't want to fill in the form again.

Basically I am looking for a legit way out of this constant, nagging, pain in the backside electoral roll bullsh.."

It's one form, once a year.

Fill it out when you first receive it and they won't nag you.

Don't forget to ask to be on the edited version only.

Want a legit way out? Become able to vote, and vote for an amendment to the law on the Electoral Roll - simples.

Alternatively, choose to live in a jurisdiction where the law doesn't require you to fill in the Electoral Roll form

Until then you have a choice .... Get the law changed, live somewhere else, or live here & accept the risk of a penalty if you don't follow the law.

Edited by citizenB
put some quote boxes in to make understanding easier

Just don't sign it, How can you get a fine when they don't know who you are.

I have lived at the same address for 8 years and have never filled in the forms, I just bin them

Not received a fine as yet although that would also go in the bin if one came.

George

So you want to assault a guy just doing his job for the betterment of society. We need to know who lives where to keep local services like buses and doctors etc up to date and with the right manpower. Because all of you in that house fail to register, no one provides a service for you, and in turn you become a strain on every service as they have not been prepped to deal with the numbers.

I would suggest you go and get involved once a year instead of trying to avoid what is law in this country and then threatening physical assault against someone just doing their job.

I really feel like swearing and some other choice words right now.

And yes, Sunday is much better for them as during a working day, almost no one is in so it would be a waste of government resources to send him round then. But then I assume that given you have no respect for our laws and are quite happy to be what appears to be a quite violent individual, you wouldn't be concerned about what local and national government is or where it goes and are quite happy just fighting your way through life.

Good luck with that.

Did you just basically call me a parasite then.... How easy to be condescending, much easier than provide a helpful/insightful answer or just don't post your rant on a forum that is supposed to be helping ppl not getting ripped off!

My housemates are all english guys from places outside of London so if you wanna be swearing and having a go at someone, maybe start with them. How am I a strain on the system, am employed, paying my taxes, got NI nr, don't work for cash in hand and pay self employed tax on any extra income I earn besides of employment, never used the benefits system and not planning my life to be relying on that anytime soon. I can't take days off for sickness or any other reasons otherwise the ppl I work for in both jobs would just let me down gently.

I have all my family in my home country and I can only rely on myself here. I am saving money in the bank, working 2 part time jobs over 6 days a week to be able to go into higher education some time while my housemates sit around every evening and all weekend drinking their brains away and blarring music all night till the morning.

I am trying to find somewhere else to live. Your rant contributes less to answering my question than any other replies I've got on here before. You looking for violent individuals, I'll happily give you my address, drop by any given weekend and observe for yourself what my housemates get up to under the name of 'partying'.

I am not violent whatsoever and would never lay a finger on anyone. I'm only human with normal human emotions, I get annoyed when I'm being singled out to be ripped off just because I'm the only one in the house who's name the council got hold of.

So if I gave the council all of my housemates names and details, I'd be doing the right thing, right???

Edited by citizenB
formatting

How is it ripped off? It doesn't cost you anything to be on voters roll.

If a hospital is there for 100,000 local residents, then they supply staff for that amount. If there are an extra 10,000 locally that font register themselves, then that hospital service is ten percent understaffed. I'm not on about benefits etc.

You are the one that originally threatened violence(slap him across the face) to the doorstepper so don't go getting on your high and mighty horse.

Helpful? Insightful? How about sign it and this whole issue is over.

Hope that helps!

How does the Council Tax get paid for your property if no one is on the electoral roll ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Before this thread goes off on a tangent and peeps start 'misbehaving' One and ONLY ONE warning. Keep it civil.

I hate having to close threads which is why I give warnings.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You can register online..

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Has anyone ever been fined for not filling this form?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jan/27/120-convicted-census-forms-2011

This is from 2011, but yes there have been people fined for not completing the census forms. I cant see anything regarding fines for the electoral roll.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/how_many_individuals_have_been_p

This one is also for the census form a FOI request.. you need to scroll down for the response.

BCOBS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9285928/Register-to-vote-or-face-130-fine.html

The way I read the article above, there does not appear to be a system in place to fine people who do not complete the electoral registration.. yet.

BCOBS