Call provider changed bundle - we received no notification

skybooks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are with a home phone call provider.

We were on a plan for many years where

we received 1500 minutes to international destinations.

This past month we received an exorbitant bill for over £500.

When we called the company they said that they had sent a letter to all suscribers that the plan was being cut to 1000 minutes.

I told them that we hadn't received the notification,

they offered to halve the bill.

Obviously we aren't happy at all as we had no notification and this is very unfair.

I called consumer advice and

they advised to follow the internal complaints procedure and ask for proof of postage.

I did this but they just responded that they are not obliged to send post recorded delivery

(they obviously misunderstood the term proof of postage).

I am planning to escalate this to their 'final destination' for a deadlock letter and then take this to the ombudsman.

I am afraid that they may retract their offer and we really cannot afford this.

My questions are:

1. Can they withdraw their offer to discount the charge by half if I go ahead with the complaint and take this to the ombudsman?

2. Am I following the correct course of action?

Many thanks.

Hi skybooks

They could withdraw the offer.

If they are correct and did send out notification regards change in minutes it's surprising that they have offered to reduce the bill.

You could send them a SAR request, they will send you all the data they hold on the account, that should clear up what they sent and when they sent it. The SAR request costs £10 and they have 40 days to comply. There should be a template in the library.

Again if they sent it, it doesn't mean that you received it.

The following is guidance from OFCOM on Complaints:-

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/phone-and-broadband-complaints/

You've spoken to Customer Services, why not escalate your complaint to the CEO.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (company changed minutes), how they have let you down (didn't inform you) and what you want them to do (apply the old T & C's to the latest bill).

What's the name of the provider?

1. Can they withdraw their offer to discount the charge by half if I go ahead with the complaint and take this to the ombudsman?

2. Am I following the correct course of action?

I would imagine that if this 'offer of discount' was made over the phone, then it is likely to be withdrawn anyway!

I would go ahead with the complaint regardless, and I'd say you're certainly following the correct course of action...retract their offer all they like, you might find your not liable anyway..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks a lot for these responses.

The company is Hive telecom.

It turns out now that most of the £600+ charge is due to a massive out of bundle rate hike of 5p p/m to 45p p/m! According to the CS manager, this was also mentioned in that letter that we never received. She sent me a copy of the letter and the letter has that 'there may be some rate changes due to the bundle change and one should check on the website'.

Great thing is that the rates on their website here: http://www.hivetelecom.com/HIVEUKRates.pdf bring up rates for 'customers with HIVE line rental'. Our line rental is with BT, only our calls were with Hive. I am hoping that this then means that they never gave any notification of the rate hike for customers that dont have their line rental with HIVE. if this is correct, then even if they were to charge us for 1500 extra minutes that would be £75 - alot of money - but atleast not the £600+ they want for the 2 months.

I emailed this information to them and I did a screen recording for evidence in case they update the website.

Anything else I should do?

(This morning I spoke to the CS manager and she confirmed with me that the company would be refunding £113 which is half the 500 minutes bundle - this was before I discovered this other issue).

Thanks.

Edited by skybooks

Hi skybooks

So they've refunded £113 and you awaiting a refund for the line rental as that is with BT. It looks like it's on it's way to being resolved, update when you get further information from them. It does sound like they aren't billing customers correctly.

Anything?