Cabot chasing an old Barclaycard debt

looking4advice
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I've received a letter from Cabot Financial, regarding a Barclaycard debt.

They are asking for 10% of the debt of £3500 as a final payment to close account.

I'll be honest and say that I don't remember clearly,

but I believe this debt is very old, i.e. around 10yrs or more.

I don't have anything showing on my credit files, so could you please advise what I need to do?

Thank you.

Don't fret over Cabot. They have been 'chasing' me for years over a Barclaycard debt from 2004. I don't pay any attention to them anymore.

As they are asking for just 10% of it's value it means they know they have no chance of ever enforcing it, they are just trying to recoup what they paid as they know it's a dud.

Don't lose any sleep on this one and in my opinion I would do nothing. In fact I do do nothing, I've been binning their threat letters for years and I'm still here :)

You can do but be warned, Cabot love to play letter tennis.

I've not seen that particular letter.

I did the CCA letter thing years ago, they ignored it and started a game of letter tennis on why they are right and I am wrong, (i was always right) it got boring quickly so I stopped that and since then I just completely ignore them. I get the odd letter with the same old nonsense in it to be filed in the bin.

The checks on your credit file cannot be seen by anyone other than you and them.

IF they were to issue court proceedings, they cannot get a CCJ unless you ignore them and they win by default.

Your defense would be that it is SB, which will knock it out of the water imediately.

And they cannot get a CO on your proerty unless, again, you ignore them.

If you are 100% certain that this IS SB, then you have absolutely nothing to lose by sending them the SB letter.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387368-Letter-to-be-sent-when-debt-is-Statute-Barred-%28update-21.04.2014%29

This then puts them on strict proof to prove otherwise.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

are cabot writing to your current address

and is this the address the credit was taken out at?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you Bazooka and dx100uk for your replies.

@ Bazooka - Glad to hear that they can't do much. The barclaycard I had was around 2002 or earlier and the last payment/contact made was around 2004 at the very latest, so yes it is statute barred.

@ dx100uk - yes they are writing to my current address, but the address the credit was taken out on was different...since then I have changed around 8-10 addresses.

So what would you guys recommend? Shall I write a statute barred letter to them? If so, what if ashmk is right and they start playing letter tennis?

If you have not written to them from your current address

ideally, even though this could easily be thrown out of court

because its statute barred should they could file a claimform

to an old address.

I pers think you should send the SB letter to them

that nails your colours to your flagpole

and informs them of your new address.

so they've no excuse but to file to your new address

2 birds with one stone

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi L4A,

So long as you're certain no payment has been made AND you haven't made any written acknowledgement of the debt in the last 6+ years, the debt is SB'd.

You don't have to send the SB's letter but, as DX says, it confirms your present address and avoids the DCA using an old address for court action.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you dx and slick132. I'm happy to send them a statute barred letter via their email address...This way it doesn't cost me anything and is a record too.

Just a couple more questions:-

1. If I send them a statute barred email, what if they start bombarding me with letters/emails as Ashmk said?

2. Am I okay to use the statute barred letter template from National Debtline?

TBH I would send them a hard copy of the SB letter, get ''proof of posting'' which is free from the PO counter, you can send them an email with it too if you wish, but a hard copy can/could/should be stapled to the file.

SB Letter http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387368-Letter-to-be-sent-when-debt-is-Statute-Barred-(update-21.04.2014)

''IF'' they start a campaigh of harassment cros that bridge when you come to it, pointless worrying about something which hasn't happened.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you numbers666 and Bazooka.

I will do both methods of emailing and hard copy as recommended. Just FYI the letter link you've given is exactly the same as the one National Debtline.

Thank you to everyone for helping me as I'm ever so grateful. I will let you know if I hear anything back from them.

can I simply type my name without a signature?

Can't see why not.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

great idea

that what the template says!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387368-Letter-to-be-sent-when-debt-is-Statute-Barred-(update-21.04.2014)

the only letter you ever need to sign is an SAR

dx

and they