Faulty TV

Sobeit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I bought a TV/DVD combo from Argos about 18 months ago.

It has stopped working.

I e-mailed Argos.

They replied saying they may be able to help under the 6 year duty of care thingy.

In the next sentence they tell me I must get an independent report to prove it is a manufacturers fault.

The TV is pristine, never left the bedroom in all the 18 months, it cannot be anything else.

Do they have the right to make me faff about finding someone that will do such a report?

If so can I claim for my time as well as the report?

They aren't doing themselves any favours with the likes of Richer Sounds (who I will use next) giving a free 5 year warranty on TV's.

Thanks

Hi Sobeit

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, they can ask for a technicians report after 6 months so they can establish the product has an inherent fault from the manufacturing process, the cost of the technicians report is refundable.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

How did you pay for it?

Thanks for the reply rebel.

Can't remember how it was paid for (searching for the receipt, it will be somewhere) but it wasn't by CC.

They say they want a report by an 'accredited technician' wherever one of them is.

It's mad for a £150 telly.

Not only will it cost them but it puts people off using them.

Poor judgement I think.

that's std practise for any item that fails after 6mts

warranty and soga are two diff things.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Sobeit

It isn't great, it will cost them more, but that's how they want to handle it.

or

You could write to the CEO of Argos. Mark the letter, Letter of Complaint. Explain what's happened (deadset), how they have let you down (requiring you to get a technicians report that will cost anything between £65-£90, the product costs £150, you can't use the product for weeks, your a loyal customer who has spent thousands at Argos, Argos lose a loyal customer and they lose £65-£90 in profit) and explain what you want them to do (replace the TV set).

Send it to:-

Mr John Walden

Managing Director

Argos

john.walden@argos.co.uk

Let us know what they say.

Thread moved to correct forum.

Thanks for the reply rebel.

Can't remember how it was paid for (searching for the receipt, it will be somewhere) but it wasn't by CC.

They say they want a report by an 'accredited technician' wherever one of them is.

It's mad for a £150 telly.

Not only will it cost them but it puts people off using them.

Poor judgement I think.

Hmmmm, so they don't even have to 'honour' the initial 12 month warranty if they don't want to, they can insist that you get a report done after 6 months.

There was me thinking these laws were there to protect the consumer!

Another statement says any remedy has to be carried out "without significant inconvenience"

I think sourcing an 'accredited technician' is very inconvenient, darn it!

One good thing I've learnt from the links provided is that if I can't find my receipt it's not the end of the road.

The TV was exclusive to Argos and I have the box with cat numbers etc.

There tactics may work here, I may just write it off and go visit Richer Sounds.

I'm sure Argos wont miss me. :violin:

Our posts crossed rebel, I may pursue!!

SOGA states that the TV should last a reasonable time depending on the outlay, 18 months isn't that long, you would expect it to last longer.