Housing Mutual Exchange

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have applied for a mutual exchange to be nearer family to help me. We live in a 2 bed property and are looking to exchange to another 2 bed (we are a couple). My GP has written a letter to the council we wish to exchange with to confirm our need for 2 bedrooms. The medical assessor however at the council has disagreed with my GP and says we do not need 2 bedrooms. They are not medical practitioners how can they decide this? What are the likely chances of winning an appeal?

We have applied for a mutual exchange to be nearer family to help me. We live in a 2 bed property and are looking to exchange to another 2 bed (we are a couple). My GP has written a letter to the council we wish to exchange with to confirm our need for 2 bedrooms. The medical assessor however at the council has disagreed with my GP and says we do not need 2 bedrooms. They are not medical practitioners how can they decide this? What are the likely chances of winning an appeal?

I presume that the council are of the opinion that as a couple, you only need 1 bedroom. However if there are genuine reasons why you need 2, then you will have to put the case to them.

Normally the second bedroom is allocated for a full time carer to live in or for it to be used as a treatment room/storage room for your disability equipment etc.

Having a second bedroom for a couple is generally seen as a luxury when you are renting from the council.

It's the old adage, if you own your own property you have a choice, if you have to rely on social housing, that choice doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...