Advice on how to settle out of court (rail fare evasion)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I appreciate all responses.

A couple of months ago I travelled one stop from an unmanned station to Guildford station.

I was stopped by revenue protection officers and have now received a letter from South West Trains prosecution department

informing me they are considering whether legal proceedings are appropriate.

I have 14 days to respond and wish to try to settle out of court.

They questions I was hoping you could answer are as follows:

1) Under what circumstances would they decide to not summon me to court now it has reached this stage?

2) If they summon me to court do I still have the ability to negotiate an out of court settlement or does this have to be done before they summon me?

3) What information should be included in my response to them to try and achieve an out of court settlement? And how do you recommend the letter is written?

4) When I provided my ID to him I unknowingly gave my old drivers licence with an incorrect address.

As I heard him read it out loud on the phone as he was checking its validity

I then corrected him and gave him my current address.

Does this count as providing false details under the law?

Many thanks in advance

write a brief non waffling grovelling letter

You may wish to write to the prosecution office with an apology and ask if you may be allowed to pay the outstanding fare and all the reasonable costs incurred by the company in order to preserve your good name by resolving this without court action. The Rail Company is not obliged to agree, but if they do it does remove the likelihood of a conviction and court record.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello everyone,

4) When I provided my ID to him I unknowingly gave my old drivers licence with an incorrect address.

As I heard him read it out loud on the phone as he was checking its validity

I then corrected him and gave him my current address.

Does this count as providing false details under the law?

Many thanks in advance

It could in some circumstances, yes.

If having seen him write down the details from your old drivers licence you did not correct the inspector before he made a check, it could be considered that you hoped to avoid contact with the company by giving an old address

It's worth bearing in mind that not changing your address on a drivers licence immediately you move to a new permanent address is also an offence that can see you summonsed to Court. It isn't something that the rail company can pursue, but if identified by Police is another matter