Two ISps on one line. Can it be done?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning techies.

I am in the process of obtaining a grant to purchase a computer for the use in a communal lounge of the sheltered accommodation I live in.

The PC will be used by the residents (after some basic training) to do online shopping, skype and various email plus other stuff.

The problem I have is that although there is a phone line in the lounge, this is connected to the wardens office and they already have BT as their ISP.

The only other provider (that I have found-so far)that does not require you to take their phone line is Plusnet

Can two ISPs share the same line?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

No.

One ISP per phone line ...

Another reason is you can only have 1 tag per phone line

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/internet-service/tagremoval

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Applications/Orders_and_Faults/Tags_On_The_Line/index.htm

Even if it was possible in the UK, i suspect it would Slow BB speed Down a lot ....

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Could you get the grant to include say a phone line for ADSL only, and a year or so access? Maybe someone like Sky with unlimited BB and line rental. Plusnet are part of BT btw

Is the complex run by a Registered Social landlord? If so they should help under tenant/Resident involvement, and supply a computer. Worth a try, as don't ask don't get.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I could include in the grant application the cost of installing a new line but I can't get funds for ongoing costs (broadband)

I think I will put this on hold for 2 to 3 months as when I attended a residents forum meeting a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the compute thing and I was informed the the council are considering installing wi-fi in all the sheltered accommodations and possibly in residential too.

During the discussions, the council rep made a suggestion that my court be used as a trial to see how much use the wi fi would get (loads in my case) The wi fi aspect was being mooted as a incentive for older people to live in this sort of place as there is some sheltered homes that are under used (not this one BTW).

I meet so many people here who have families abroad who receive the occasional letter or phone call as they can no longer travel due to health issues. The ability to 'see' the relatives would help immensely in reducing lonliness which is a major detriment to health, both physical and mental.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I could include in the grant application the cost of installing a new line but I can't get funds for ongoing costs (broadband)

I think I will put this on hold for 2 to 3 months as when I attended a residents forum meeting a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the compute thing and I was informed the the council are considering installing wi-fi in all the sheltered accommodations and possibly in residential too.

During the discussions, the council rep made a suggestion that my court be used as a trial to see how much use the wi fi would get (loads in my case) The wi fi aspect was being mooted as a incentive for older people to live in this sort of place as there is some sheltered homes that are under used (not this one BTW).

I meet so many people here who have families abroad who receive the occasional letter or phone call as they can no longer travel due to health issues. The ability to 'see' the relatives would help immensely in reducing lonliness which is a major detriment to health, both physical and mental.

It would be a real life changer if they can use Skype with a headset and webcam.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

cheapest solution I can think of is a cheap android phone on the Three network with their £12.90 per month sim only plan with all you can eat data. Make the phone a wifi hotspot and it would act like a home broadband if the coverage was good enough...

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

does the wifi not reach the communal lounge?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I would also consider the option of writing to the CEO of some of the ISPs explaining what your looking for, what would they recommend, cost involved and importantly exactly why you are setting this up for the benefit of the sheltered housing community with vulnerable tenants or even if they would sponsor say the line rental, installation etc.

You never know

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I would also consider the option of writing to the CEO of some of the ISPs explaining what your looking for, what would they recommend, cost involved and importantly exactly why you are setting this up for the benefit of the sheltered housing community with vulnerable tenants or even if they would sponsor say the line rental, installation etc.

You never know

Might be worth approaching BT who supply the office

Some very good points there. BT is a good idea which I will examine

Three have a very poor signal round here and rarely works indoors.

I did think about getting a wi-fi repeater so that my unlimited internet would reach the lounge but after a little research, extenders are not that good and the fact that the signal would have to travel through 4 walls

I will be emailing my housinfg officer (who is helping me with the grant app) to see if she can get something definite from the money holders as to the installation of the communal wi fi in the near future.

Now is an ideal time to do it as later this summer, we are having the old communal gas boiler removed and replaced with a biomass one with the addition of new pipes to each flat. An ideal time for fitters to get in and run the cabling required.

Just this week I brought an extender for my sons TV as the wifi signal is weak and not quite strong enough for Netflix in HD. It plugs in at the top of the stairs and has given the TV full bars signal and streams HD Netflix fine. Cost £25 from Amazon, it's like having a second wireless router upstairs. Can't fault it.

Just this week I brought an extender for my sons TV as the wifi signal is weak and not quite strong enough for Netflix in HD. It plugs in at the top of the stairs and has given the TV full bars signal and streams HD Netflix fine. Cost £25 from Amazon, it's like having a second wireless router upstairs. Can't fault it.

Can you tell me which one? At that price, I would buy it and donate it. If it didn't reach then I could flog it on again through a different site

2 ISP's can be done on one line but unless youre a high end corporation, you couldn't afford it. And if you are a high level corp, youd just lease a direct connection to the backbone instead and have all the tech that come siwth it to ensure a strong connection no matter where you are in a building.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Can you tell me which one? At that price, I would buy it and donate it. If it didn't reach then I could flog it on again through a different site

This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403692028&sr=8-1&keywords=wa850re

There is a cheaper one that's half the speed. It all depends on how many devices you will use. My home wi-fi is 300mbps and I have a media server to accommodate which is why I went for that one but if you want it for just 1 laptop then go for the cheaper option - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403692159&sr=8-1&keywords=wa750re

If it's no good just return it to Amazon, they even pay to return!

If you need help setting it up let me know.