Access to disabled toilets

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'm blowing this up out of all proportion so thought I would seek other people's opinions before taking it any further.

I was recently travelling by train and had to change at Southampton Central. My daughter was travelling with me. We had about 45 minutes between trains (to get the one before we'd have had to get from platform 1 to platform 4 in 8 minutes, which is just cutting things too fine for me!) and were waiting in the waiting room on platform 4. I needed to use the toilet which was locked. My daughter, being rather more mobile than me, enquired first at the cafe within the waiting room and from there was directed to find a member of staff to unlock the toilet. She disappeared out on to the platform where it took her 15 minutes to find a member of staff who reluctantly opened the toilet for me. I just about made it in time.

I made a formal complaint to SouthWest Trains, who are responsible for this station, 8 weeks ago. I chased them up four weeks ago, but still got no response. I referred my complaint to Passenger Focus, who gave them a prod and they have now responded.

In summary SouthWest Trains say I can either ask a member of staff as I enter the station or book assistance, and they will open the toilet for me.

Neither of these options is particularly attractive. Even if I went through the entrance, which I don't as I only ever change trains here, how embarassing to have to ask a member of staff to accompany me to platform 4 and open the toilet, in case I need to use it? And how annoying for the member of staff even supposing they can leave whatever they are already doing. Also, I'm otherwise perfectly capable of travelling alone and indeed have done this journey, to visit my parents, frequently and almost always alone, so why on earth should I have to book assistance and probably deprive someone who actually needs it?

I know that disabled toilets are often locked for perfectly good reasons, however I think the key should be readily available and obtaining it not involve someone chasing up and down the platform for 15 minutes being referred to one member of staff after another before actually finding one with a key - which doesn't bode well for staff at the entrance having a key either. Leaving aside the very dismissive tone of SouthWest Trains reply, am I overreacting? If not, do I go back to Passenger Focus to take this further or is there a better way? I really don't see why I should effectively have to announce to all and sundry that I need to use the toilet just because I need to use the disabled facilities.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I would point out to them how you felt demeaned and discrimintated against. An able bodied person does not have to seek help so why should you be forced to.

A suggestion you could make to them is that they consider installing a radar key lock and pull alarm? so it reduces the workload on the staff there AND makes the experience more customer service friendly for people who require that extra provision :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi reallymadwoman

Your are covered under the Equality Act 2010, I can see why they lock them (Vandalism etc in that situation, the toilets wouldn't be useful to anyone), but I can see your point regarding getting easy access, without hunting for the key :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85008/business-quickstart.pdf

A solution would be to gain access via digital barcode reader, touch your travel card, hey presto, you gain access to the toilets without disturbing their staff. Your travel card will have your entitlement to gain access.

I don't find this acceptable at all. You're basically asking permission to go toilet. Some of us can't wait, so by the time the staff have been found and the toilet unlocked, I may well have soiled myself.

Do the radar keys (which you can purchase yourself) work in those toilets? I know at my local train station, they do.

Although the website quite clearly says they don't have radar key operated toilets, SouthWest Trains are now telling me they do, however, I'm not sure I believe them. Although I was a fair disatance away, the key used simply did not look like a radar key.

However, even if it was a radar key, why should I have to effectively pay to use the toilet when non-disabled people don't? I know it's a small amount, but it's the principle.

My daughter, who as I said was travelling with me, was able to use the toilets without charge and without waiting. Since they have disabled facilities, I should be able to do the same.

So where do I take my complaint next?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I would complain to your local MP, the Minister of Transport and The Minister of State for Disabled People. This effects a lot of disabled people, also contact Disability Rights UK.

http://disabilityrightsuk.org/

As you've found out the rail companies just aren't interested, anything for a easy life.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked for help from the Equality Advisory Support Service who seemed to think that it was OK to lock the toilets so long as the key was readily available since there are some very good reasons for locking disabled toilets. In my case they thought I had a reasonable complaint since clearly, on that occasion at least, the key was not readily available, but since I couldn't prove that it wasn't a 'one off' I would have difficulty proving it was due to discrimination.

I simply don't have the time or energy to pursue it myself and I'm not going to instruct a solicitor over something that, even if I won, would be of relatively low value so I've given up.

RMW