Employment-At Will contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, I would really appreciate some advice.

I've received an offer letter from a US company which does not have a UK presence. Therefore I will be employed as a contractor and they will help me set up the limited company.

The thing is, there is a clause called Employment-At-Will which is apparently normal in the US. It means that either party can terminate employment with no notice and no reason.

I guess as a employee proper this would not be legal, however as a contractor is this allowed?

Thanks All

Helllo and welcome to CAG.

I haven't heard of this type of arrangement, hopefully other forum members will be along to comment.

Are you happy that this is a proper job offer? Some strange stuff goes on with the interweb. I take it you're in the UK from what you say?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Honeybee, thanks for the note

Yes I'm from the UK.

It's a proper job offer, from a decent US company. However all UK employees (three including me if I accept) are employed as full time contractors.

It's just that the at-will caluse makes me nervous.

thanks for the link. I guess the question is; Is this legal in the UK, given that I will be emploeyed as a contractor?

This is my first time being employed in such a way

I don't know, I'm afraid, but someone will. It's a bit worrying that you can be full-time and they can get rid of you any time if this contract is allowed. The Wikipedia link seemed to think it all favours the employer.

Is there an agency involved? They might be able to advise.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Unfortunately no agency to help, it's a directly between them and me. I spoke with them today and it seems it more a last resort as they have standard disciplinary. coaching etc procedures.