Atos medical on Saturday 29th November - please help!

geriann
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to be on the disability rate of Income Support.

i got an ESA50 form on 19-4-12 to apply for ESA. i sent that back on 17-5-12.

on 19-7-12 i was accepted into the Work-Related-Activity-Group of ESA. i appealed that, by filling in forms & getting my GP to send a letter saying i need to be put into the Support Group.

On 25-10-12 i was excepted into the Support Group of ESA...the letter also said i may need a review on/by 25-11-13.

On 27-9-13 i got my 2nd ESA50 form to fill in...which i didn't expect because i'd only been on ESA 14 months & in the Support Group only 11 months. even though it was a hassle spending days filling it in, i did it & sent it back on 23-10-13.

i waited to a letter from ATOS or DWP, but i never heard anything! my ESA [sG] payments came as normal, so i assumed they'd decided to keep me in the ESA Support Group.

on the 7th of May 2014 [exactly 28 weeks after i sent the ESA50] i got a letter [dated 2nd May] from ATOS saying...

"We have been asked by DWP to carry out an assessment in relation to your benefit claim.

We have arranged an appoinment for you at 2.35pm on Monday 19th May.

If you don't attend, your benefit may be affected.

If you would like more information about why you need an assessment please contact the DWP office that deals with your claim."

Is this sudden assessment the very slow reaction from the ESA50 form i sent last October? or some other reason?

i've been unable to work for the same reason since october 2006, so getting forms/assessments this often seems a waste of everyones time!

the only medical i ever had was on 9-5-07...which was 5 months after i started getting Income Support.

I suppose i was lucky i wasn't asked for a medical when i changed from IS to ESA.

I have various physical issues that cause me pain, but alot of my disability claim is due to mental illness. either way i look at it a physical exam [or whatever they're going to do] will not tell them what's in my head or what pain i feel!

I couldn't tell you how many months it's been since i last went on a bus or to town. just the thought of shopping or seeing my parents in town is daunting, let alone this medical!

I can't lose my benefit money, so i'm guess i can't get out of having this medical?

the fact i only got 12 days notice of the medical isn't great...no time to get an appointment with my GP...although i guess that wouldn't help. it also didn't help that i got this letter on the 1st day of being ill with some kind of "bug", which is why i'm only posting about this now.

i should mention i photocopied the 1st & 2nd ESA50 forms & the "evidence" i sent with them. should i take that with me to the assessment?

the ATOS medical appointment letter came with the WCA AL1C [07/13] Face-to-Face Assessment leaflet. that raised some questions i hope someone on here can help me with.

it says take current medications with me to the assessment. i'll obviously take my Antidepressants, anti-anxiety pills & painkillers, but i'm guessing things like anti-histamines for Hayfever aren't required?

i'm abit worried about my anti-anxiety pills dosage. on the pill box it states the dose i'm meant to take...the minimum dose for that medication. however i have to take alot more than that dose in stressful situations...like a medical. that's not because i've grown tolerant or/& abuse my med's...it's simply that the minimum/low doses don't work on me. [btw i have told my gp, but he just tells me to "try & stick to the perscribed dose"] :O so should i be honest at the ATOS medical about that?

surely if they know anything they know i'm on more than the minimum dosage because i'll have to take enough to calm me that it makes me drowsy, etc. i really don't know how much sense i'll make at this assessment due to medications!

the leaflet says i can claim travel expenses for public transport to/from the assessment.

i'd usually get a £3.90p Dayrider, but i wondered will they want to keep the bus ticket?

because i'll obviously need it to get me home again.

i could get a Single to town & then another Single to get home, but that costs more.

it says they can only pay travel expenses into a bank/building society, so i'll have to give them my building society's name, sort code & account number. i don't know about anyone else but i don't like the idea of giving them that stuff. seems dodgy for such a small amount of money!

the leaflet says they can't pay into a Post Office account [which i don't have but many people do] or pay cash. why?

the leaflet says to contact ATOS "if you would like to request an audio recorded assessment or would like to audio record your assessment yourself. Please contact ATOS asap to allow arrangements to be made."

should i have my assessment recorded?

if i should, will phoning ATOS on Thursday 15th or Friday 16th be enough notice for them to sort audio equipment for my appointment on Monday 19th? if it's not enough notice should i re-book so i can get it recorded?

if ATOS do the audio recording do i get a copy of it to keep?

i know i can take someone with me, but if i don't will that affect thier assessment of me?

my parents will be on holiday & i don't trust anyone else. should i just tell ATOS that?

there's a small chance i could get a lift to [& maybe from] the assessment. i know that would mean no travel expense refund, but would getting a lift to or/& from the appointment sound better, even if the person who gives me a lift doesn't come into the assessment building?

the leaflet says i can get a copy of the report ATOS will do [at the assessment] from my Jobcentre Plus office.

i'm guessing it's a good idea to get a copy to see what ATOS have said about me?

the leaflet doesn't say when to contact Jobcentre Plus. i assume after i've seen ATOS, but when? on the ae day? or later?

last of all i wondered what happens after the ATOS medical. how long will it be until i get a letter [or phone call] from DWP or ATOS to say whatever the medical results are?

if you've read my whole post i'm very grateful.

i'm sorry for the long post, but i'm really worried & keep thinking of questions.

any answers/advice via this thead or via Private Message are gratefully received.

I used to be on the disability rate of Income Support.

i got an ESA50 form on 19-4-12 to apply for ESA. i sent that back on 17-5-12.

on 19-7-12 i was accepted into the Work-Related-Activity-Group of ESA. i appealed that, by filling in forms & getting my GP to send a letter saying i need to be put into the Support Group.

On 25-10-12 i was excepted into the Support Group of ESA...the letter also said i may need a review on/by 25-11-13.

On 27-9-13 i got my 2nd ESA50 form to fill in...which i didn't expect because i'd only been on ESA 14 months & in the Support Group only 11 months. even though it was a hassle spending days filling it in, i did it & sent it back on 23-10-13.

i waited to a letter from ATOS or DWP, but i never heard anything! my ESA [sG] payments came as normal, so i assumed they'd decided to keep me in the ESA Support Group.

on the 7th of May 2014 [exactly 28 weeks after i sent the ESA50] i got a letter [dated 2nd May] from ATOS saying...

"We have been asked by DWP to carry out an assessment in relation to your benefit claim.

We have arranged an appoinment for you at 2.35pm on Monday 19th May.

If you don't attend, your benefit may be affected.

If you would like more information about why you need an assessment please contact the DWP office that deals with your claim."

Is this sudden assessment the very slow reaction from the ESA50 form i sent last October? or some other reason?

i've been unable to work for the same reason since october 2006, so getting forms/assessments this often seems a waste of everyones time!

the only medical i ever had was on 9-5-07...which was 5 months after i started getting Income Support.

I suppose i was lucky i wasn't asked for a medical when i changed from IS to ESA.

I have various physical issues that cause me pain, but alot of my disability claim is due to mental illness. either way i look at it a physical exam [or whatever they're going to do] will not tell them what's in my head or what pain i feel!

I couldn't tell you how many months it's been since i last went on a bus or to town. just the thought of shopping or seeing my parents in town is daunting, let alone this medical!

I can't lose my benefit money, so i'm guess i can't get out of having this medical?

the fact i only got 12 days notice of the medical isn't great...no time to get an appointment with my GP...although i guess that wouldn't help. it also didn't help that i got this letter on the 1st day of being ill with some kind of "bug", which is why i'm only posting about this now.

i should mention i photocopied the 1st & 2nd ESA50 forms & the "evidence" i sent with them. should i take that with me to the assessment?

the ATOS medical appointment letter came with the WCA AL1C [07/13] Face-to-Face Assessment leaflet. that raised some questions i hope someone on here can help me with.

it says take current medications with me to the assessment. i'll obviously take my Antidepressants, anti-anxiety pills & painkillers, but i'm guessing things like anti-histamines for Hayfever aren't required?

i'm abit worried about my anti-anxiety pills dosage. on the pill box it states the dose i'm meant to take...the minimum dose for that medication. however i have to take alot more than that dose in stressful situations...like a medical. that's not because i've grown tolerant or/& abuse my med's...it's simply that the minimum/low doses don't work on me. [btw i have told my gp, but he just tells me to "try & stick to the perscribed dose"] :O so should i be honest at the ATOS medical about that?

surely if they know anything they know i'm on more than the minimum dosage because i'll have to take enough to calm me that it makes me drowsy, etc. i really don't know how much sense i'll make at this assessment due to medications!

the leaflet says i can claim travel expenses for public transport to/from the assessment.

i'd usually get a £3.90p Dayrider, but i wondered will they want to keep the bus ticket?

because i'll obviously need it to get me home again.

i could get a Single to town & then another Single to get home, but that costs more.

it says they can only pay travel expenses into a bank/building society, so i'll have to give them my building society's name, sort code & account number. i don't know about anyone else but i don't like the idea of giving them that stuff. seems dodgy for such a small amount of money!

the leaflet says they can't pay into a Post Office account [which i don't have but many people do] or pay cash. why?

the leaflet says to contact ATOS "if you would like to request an audio recorded assessment or would like to audio record your assessment yourself. Please contact ATOS asap to allow arrangements to be made."

should i have my assessment recorded?

if i should, will phoning ATOS on Thursday 15th or Friday 16th be enough notice for them to sort audio equipment for my appointment on Monday 19th? if it's not enough notice should i re-book so i can get it recorded?

if ATOS do the audio recording do i get a copy of it to keep?

i know i can take someone with me, but if i don't will that affect thier assessment of me?

my parents will be on holiday & i don't trust anyone else. should i just tell ATOS that?

there's a small chance i could get a lift to [& maybe from] the assessment. i know that would mean no travel expense refund, but would getting a lift to or/& from the appointment sound better, even if the person who gives me a lift doesn't come into the assessment building?

the leaflet says i can get a copy of the report ATOS will do [at the assessment] from my Jobcentre Plus office.

i'm guessing it's a good idea to get a copy to see what ATOS have said about me?

the leaflet doesn't say when to contact Jobcentre Plus. i assume after i've seen ATOS, but when? on the ae day? or later?

last of all i wondered what happens after the ATOS medical. how long will it be until i get a letter [or phone call] from DWP or ATOS to say whatever the medical results are?

i'm sorry for the long post, but i'm really worried & keep thinking of questions.

any answers/advice via this thead or via Private Message are gratefully received.

I'll do my best to help. Take everything with you. Tell them everything. Ask for a recorded assessment. They haven't given you enough notice to sort that one out they should rebook. Well if they're human, they should rebook if they cant do audio. I think it sounds like we're medically in the same boat. I have 9 separate medical diagnoses. Regarding travel, they can probably take a photocopy of the bus ticket.

I can tell your'e in a state with this looming medical. I hate it when people say to me, try and keep calm when I'm stressed about something. You've got nothing to hide. You're not going to the assessment "claiming" to have these diagnoses, like some may do. You're diagnoses are real and that should be evident when you attend. Just be honest, that's the best way. For your diagnoses, are there any medical support groups you're involved in? E.G. Being Autistic myself, I could contact the local Autistic society and ask someone from there to support me. I realise this is short notice, but there may be some help out there. Id come with you myself, except we may be miles apart and like you, with I suspect, Agoraphobia, pretty much keeps us indoors, and I suspect, not knowing me, why would you trust me either? I have no idea if you get a copy of the audio. It would seem pointless if you don't, but who knows how they work.

Please please pleaseeeeee, do not worry about asking questions, that's what this forum is for. I truly feel for you and wish I could do more to help.

Take all your medication, anti histamines, any letters from consultants, if you can, request a photo copy from your doctors surgery of all your GP attendances, which will show any advice given by your GP relating to your conditions. I'm trying to think of anything else you can do. Oh, YES take the ESA forms and ESA letters you have previously received. Take anything you think relevant. Its best to take everything, its not too heavy and it would be better to have it with you rather than not. I hope this has helped. I know its a daunting experience you could probably do without, I know how terrified you must be, as I'm feeling pretty much the same way and I still haven't been sent an assessment date yet.

Let me and anyone else reading this know how it goes on Monday. I'll be thinking of you, not that that's a lot of good! Just stay focused, be open and say it how it is. That's my policy. Now I'm panicking thinking people may think I'm accusing them of being dishonest, its not what I mean honestly!!!

Good Luck x

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Id come with you myself, except we may be miles apart and like you, with I suspect, Agoraphobia, pretty much keeps us indoors, and I suspect, not knowing me, why would you trust me either?

thanks so much for your ofter. it means alot that you care.

my GP has said i'd got symptoms of Agoraphobia. i'm guessing that means i'm mild or not bad enough to get the official diagnosis :???: it's not always the going outside that scares me, but being away from my "safe place" [aka my house] & going somewhere i don't know.

i suppose it's partly due to my Social Anxiety aswell, because i'd be better at going out if i knew there were no people out there.

of course panic attacks, eating disorder & depression add more reasons to hide indoors.

i see you're in Kent, I'm Peterborough.

thankyou THNX4THT for you helpful & understanding advice.:-)

here's my update...

i phoned ATOS at 10.15am on Monday 19th May...4 hours 20min's before my medical. i got through to a surprising understanding/nice man...not what i expected but i guess they're using to people calling them in a panicked state.

in my anxious state at 1st i said could i delay/cancel my appointment...he didn't ask why.

he asked me when i wanted to book my app' for...suddenly i remembered to ask for my app' to be audio recorded.

i was briefly put on hold while he asked someone about getting it audio recorded. when he came back he said yes they can audio record, but that means i can't book an appointment now. he said there was a delay in audio recorded appointments, so ATOS will send me an appointment letter [with an date/time] when they can book me in.

he also asked me is i prefer a certain time of day...i said afternoons...he said he'll note that down so ATOS book an afternoon appointment.

Yay! that's what i wanted. just to delay until i could see my GP & the added bonus of an afternoon appointment.

so i was thinking the appointment would be at least a few weeks away, by what he said probably more.

however on the 22nd of May...only 3 days after i phoned...i got an ATOS appointment letter.:faint2:

my app' had been booked at 11.40am on Thursday 5th June.

only 14 days notice [2 days extra notice than my 1st app' letter] & not an afternoon appointment!

i know it's late morning...almost lunchtime/afternoon...but not what i requested.:frown: gutted.

should i contact them about the fact it's not an afternoon appointment?

the more critical worry is that i can't get an appointment with my GP until at least the 10th of June!:!:

now i'm freaking out because i wont be able to see him before my medical.

i really wanted to talk to him about the ATOS stuff & get "evidence" or/& get my GP to contact ATOS to say my inpending medical is bringing my mental health down [aka putting me at risk] in the hope ATOS will agree i don't need to have a medical.

i know that may be a long shot, but even if i still have to have a medical at least i'd be able to get "evidence" from my GP before the medical.

last time i got my GP to write a letter [for DWP to move me from WRAG to SG] i had to wait until he'd done the letter, pick it up from the Surgery & post it myself.

if he does it that way again i don't know how long after my GP app' i should book the ATOS medical. at least 1-2 weeks i suppose.:???:

someone mentioned my GP could fax ATOS the letter...i guess they could email it to them instead.

that would be quicker than snail mail, but i still don't know how fast my GP [or whoever he gets to type it] will take to do it. so i guess i'd still have to leave my ATOS medical until at least 1 week after my GP app'.:???:

anyone know the ATOS fax or/& email addy my GP could send it to?

should i ask ATOS if they will re-schedule my app' for after i have my GP app' & after my GP contacts ATOS?

i read in the WCA AL1C [07/13] Face-to-Face Assessment leaflet [that came with the app' letter] in the "when & how to contact ATOS Healthcare" section...

"you can rearrange your appointment, but please note that this can only be done once to comply with the DWP process."

last time it was re-booked because i wanted an audio recording...this time it's so i can see my GP before i see them...& hopefully to change it to an afternoon appointment while i'm at it.

so will ATOS let me delay/re-book my medical again?

it would be easier for me if i could contact ATOS to re-book my medical [if they still insist i must have it] when i've seen my GP & my GP has contacted ATOS & got my "evidence".

i'm guessing if it is ok to re-book my medical ATOS wont be that understanding & flexible?

i didn't mean this to be a long post, but as usual it turns out that way.

any answers/advice via this thead or via Private Message are always appreciated.

here's my update...

i phoned ATOS at 10.15am on Monday 19th May...4 hours 20min's before my medical. i got through to a surprising understanding/nice man...not what i expected but i guess they're using to people calling them in a panicked state.

in my anxious state at 1st i said could i delay/cancel my appointment...he didn't ask why.

he asked me when i wanted to book my app' for...suddenly i remembered to ask for my app' to be audio recorded.

i was briefly put on hold while he asked someone about getting it audio recorded. when he came back he said yes they can audio record, but that means i can't book an appointment now. he said there was a delay in audio recorded appointments, so ATOS will send me an appointment letter [with an date/time] when they can book me in.

he also asked me is i prefer a certain time of day...i said afternoons...he said he'll note that down so ATOS book an afternoon appointment.

Yay! that's what i wanted. just to delay until i could see my GP & the added bonus of an afternoon appointment.

so i was thinking the appointment would be at least a few weeks away, by what he said probably more.

however on the 22nd of May...only 3 days after i phoned...i got an ATOS appointment letter.:faint2:

my app' had been booked at 11.40am on Thursday 5th June.

only 14 days notice [2 days extra notice than my 1st app' letter] & not an afternoon appointment!

i know it's late morning...almost lunchtime/afternoon...but not what i requested.:frown: gutted.

should i contact them about the fact it's not an afternoon appointment?

the more critical worry is that i can't get an appointment with my GP until at least the 10th of June!:!:

now i'm freaking out because i wont be able to see him before my medical.

i really wanted to talk to him about the ATOS stuff & get "evidence" or/& get my GP to contact ATOS to say my inpending medical is bringing my mental health down [aka putting me at risk] in the hope ATOS will agree i don't need to have a medical.

i know that may be a long shot, but even if i still have to have a medical at least i'd be able to get "evidence" from my GP before the medical.

last time i got my GP to write a letter [for DWP to move me from WRAG to SG] i had to wait until he'd done the letter, pick it up from the Surgery & post it myself.

if he does it that way again i don't know how long after my GP app' i should book the ATOS medical. at least 1-2 weeks i suppose.:???:

someone mentioned my GP could fax ATOS the letter...i guess they could email it to them instead.

that would be quicker than snail mail, but i still don't know how fast my GP [or whoever he gets to type it] will take to do it. so i guess i'd still have to leave my ATOS medical until at least 1 week after my GP app'.:???:

anyone know the ATOS fax or/& email addy my GP could send it to?

should i ask ATOS if they will re-schedule my app' for after i have my GP app' & after my GP contacts ATOS?

i read in the WCA AL1C [07/13] Face-to-Face Assessment leaflet [that came with the app' letter] in the "when & how to contact ATOS Healthcare" section...

"you can rearrange your appointment, but please note that this can only be done once to comply with the DWP process."

last time it was re-booked because i wanted an audio recording...this time it's so i can see my GP before i see them...& hopefully to change it to an afternoon appointment while i'm at it.

so will ATOS let me delay/re-book my medical again?

it would be easier for me if i could contact ATOS to re-book my medical [if they still insist i must have it] when i've seen my GP & my GP has contacted ATOS & got my "evidence".

i'm guessing if it is ok to re-book my medical ATOS wont be that understanding & flexible?

i didn't mean this to be a long post, but as usual it turns out that way.

any answers/advice via this thead or via Private Message are always appreciated.

I want to be able to give you advice on all you have asked, but as you say its a long post and I'll have to read each paragraph at a time, prior to answering. The ATOS letter you received, does that have a FAX number on it? You state about needing to see your GP, do you mean your own GP? or any GP at your practice? You could have a supporting letter written by one of your own GPs colleague to save time. My own Agoraphobia was diagnosed 10th April 2010. Its only been in the recent 6 months I've been able to venture outside by car and with someone else, but never alone. Your Social Anxiety will have an impact on your Agoraphobia and visa versa. I'll re-read your post and try and answer asap, unless someone beats me to it, which is quite likely! I can totally understand why you are in such a state over the looming ATOS appointment. I would advise you to stay focused and calm, but then I'd be a hypocrite, as I'm panicking myself. My only advantage over the stress of it all, is when I get stressed, my brain shuts down, a form of protection and I pass out. How I wish I could control it and it occurred at my interview, whenever that may be, I'd be totally unaware lol :)

:geriann:

Not having benefit of one of Atos crystal balls, I can't say for certain what they've done here but there's a high chance that, for the moment, they've merely booked you the next available appointment to keep the referral open while they source an audio recorder. Easier for them, never mind the anxieties of the claimant. :mmph: Have a look at the phone numbers below, it's the most up to date list we have. Choose the one likely to cover your area and phone to find out whether an audio record's been arranged. No luck? Ask 08002 888777 for an up to date number, or at least a call back. Rearrangements by Atos while they source audio recorders, whether in response to a late claimant request or through their own ineptitude, shouldn't count as the one allowed claimant cancellation. And it's definitely arguable as good cause for non attendance if you can quote (even better with proof, put the phone on speaker and record onto a mobile phone or dictaphone) the contact history with them.

http://www.dpac.uk.net/tag/atos-phone-numbers

Atos are very unlikely to agree with your doctor that you don't need a face to face assessment. Probably the best you can hope for is a home visit, which should you wish it to be audio recorded could take for ever. Atos preference is facsimile for contact from doctors about home visits (the number's probably available from 08002 888777) and their electronic mail address is;

customer-relations@atoshealthcare.com

Now, while I understand that you may wish to wait for medical evidence neither Atos nor Jobcentreplus are going to see it as good cause for 'failure to attend'. Medical evidence can be submitted directly to Jobcentreplus after an assessment. If you can't persuade Atos to allow time for you to see your doctor, cos they won't accept the first appointment was cancelled due to a request for an audio recorded assessment, 'failure to attend' will result in a BF223 like the one below;

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/141042/response/354324/attach/3/BF223.pdf

And a Jobcentreplus decision maker will have to consider 'the claimant's state of health at the relevant time' and 'the nature of any disability the claimant has'.

Check the assessor has copies of, and has read, the evidence you sent with the ESA50. Atos are very good at 'losing' additional medical evidence.

As a mental health claimant, don't even think of going through an Atos interview (at home or in one of their assessment centres) without a chaperone unless you've really no choice. The assessor will immediately assume no problems with personal action, change, social interaction, and getting about.

I'm not sure of the rate but Atos refund cost per mile and car park charges if a private vehicle is used. Sometimes takes for ever, but I'm not aware of any problems with accidental disclosure of bank account details.

Unlikely that you'll get the need for extra medication to cope with the assessment through to the assessor, but you've nothing to lose by sending a short statement about it to Jobcentreplus. Especially if it can be supported by a statement from a carer/chaperone.

Copy of the ESA85 Atos report of your assessment should be available on request from your benefit delivery centre (address and phone number on the last letter you received from them) from two working days after the assessment.

The six months delay between return of an ESA50 and invite to assessment is due to Atos unacceptable backlogs of six to twelve months.

Sincerely, Margaret. :panda:

Not having benefit of one of Atos crystal balls, I can't say for certain what they've done here but there's a high chance that, for the moment, they've merely booked you the next available appointment to keep the referral open while they source an audio recorder. Easier for them, never mind the anxieties of the claimant. :mmph: Have a look at the phone numbers below, it's the most up to date list we have. Choose the one likely to cover your area and phone to find out whether an audio record's been arranged. No luck? Ask 08002 888777 for an up to date number, or at least a call back. Rearrangements by Atos while they source audio recorders, whether in response to a late claimant request or through their own ineptitude, shouldn't count as the one allowed claimant cancellation. And it's definitely arguable as good cause for non attendance if you can quote (even better with proof, put the phone on speaker and record onto a mobile phone or dictaphone) the contact history with them.

Atos are very unlikely to agree with your doctor that you don't need a face to face assessment. Probably the best you can hope for is a home visit, which should you wish it to be audio recorded could take for ever. Atos preference is facsimile for contact from doctors about home visits (the number's probably available from 08002 888777) and their electronic mail address is;

customer-relations@atoshealthcare.com

Now, while I understand that you may wish to wait for medical evidence neither Atos nor Jobcentreplus are going to see it as good cause for 'failure to attend'. Medical evidence can be submitted directly to Jobcentreplus after an assessment. If you can't persuade Atos to allow time for you to see your doctor, cos they won't accept the first appointment was cancelled due to a request for an audio recorded assessment, 'failure to attend' will result in a BF223 like the one below;

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/141042/response/354324/attach/3/BF223.pdf

And a Jobcentreplus decision maker will have to consider 'the claimant's state of health at the relevant time' and 'the nature of any disability the claimant has'.

Check the assessor has copies of, and has read, the evidence you sent with the ESA50. Atos are very good at 'losing' additional medical evidence.

As a mental health claimant, don't even think of going through an Atos interview (at home or in one of their assessment centres) without a chaperone unless you've really no choice. The assessor will immediately assume no problems with personal action, change, social interaction, and getting about.

I'm not sure of the rate but Atos refund cost per mile and car park charges if a private vehicle is used. Sometimes takes for ever, but I'm not aware of any problems with accidental disclosure of bank account details.

Unlikely that you'll get the need for extra medication to cope with the assessment through to the assessor, but you've nothing to lose by sending a short statement about it to Jobcentreplus. Especially if it can be supported by a statement from a carer/chaperone.

Copy of the ESA85 Atos report of your assessment should be available on request from your benefit delivery centre (address and phone number on the last letter you received from them) from two working days after the assessment.

The six months delay between return of an ESA50 and invite to assessment is due to Atos unacceptable backlogs of six to twelve months.

Sincerely, Margaret. :panda:

Very good advice, wish I could have come up with that lot!! Just wnated to clarify one thing...6- 12 month back log, does that mean a possible wait of 6 - 12 months for an ATOS appointment???

:THNX4THT:

There's a few exceptions but generally the further a claimant lives from the North Pole, the longer s/he'll wait for an Atos ESA assessment. Or be stuck in the PIP queue! Cos of the backlogs (more haste, less speed, in the cataclysm of welfare reform) up to six months is the norm. A year isn't unusual and at least two contributors to CAG have waited for two years!!

Margaret.

Atos use PACE compliant dual compact disc or dual cassette tape audio recorders for recorded work capability assessments. Before the assessment starts you'll be asked to sign a consent form. After the assessment you'll be given one copy of the disc or tape before you leave, and asked to sign for it.

Margaret.

(Unless an issues's very sensitive CAG encourages contributors to respond on the open threads. Safer cos the advice can be peer checked for accuracy. Also, it's available for everyone.) :biggrin:

i found a fax number on the ATOS Healthcare website...020 7830 4445.

that was with thier London address & phone numbers 020 7830 4444 & 020 7830 4931.

i don't know if that's the fax number they're want a GP to use?

The ATOS letter you received, does that have a FAX number on it?

nope.

it's only got thier 0800 2888777 phone number & Nottingham address.

You state about needing to see your GP, do you mean your own GP? or any GP at your practice?

i meant my own GP. i see the same one everytime i have an appointment. he knows all my problems...without looking at my notes. he's the one that wrote a letter that got me out of WRAG & into SG.

Have a look at the phone numbers below, it's the most up to date list we have. Choose the one likely to cover your area and phone to find out whether an audio record's been arranged.

which one of those phone numbers would cover Peterborough?

Atos are very unlikely to agree with your doctor that you don't need a face to face assessment. Probably the best you can hope for is a home visit.

i suppose a home visit would be easier for me. :/

i wouldn't have to worry about travelling to/from or all the strangers/crowds or how my med's effect me or who to take with me.

i had been abit worried a home visit might hinder my case because my home is a maisonette.

below me is a normal 2 storey house. i'm the 2 storey house on top of that.

there's a shared [with 1 other maisonette] door & 3 flights of stairs...then you get to my front door.

inside my maisonette it's like a normal 2 storey house with 1 flight of stairs...although it's actually half a flight, a small "landings", then the other half flight of stairs.

most of my claim is mental health stuff, but some of it is due physical pain due old back & ankle injuries. how much they hurt & affect me, varies alot; the same as all my problems. the old injuries rarely mean i can't use my stairs, but there are many times the stairs are painful for me. which just means i go slower.

due to my mental illnesses i outside if i have to, so most of the time i only have to use my 1 flight of stairs.

although if i only had my physical problems i'd be in WRAG, it's the mental things that got me in SG.

maybe i'm worried about a home visit going against me when it wont.

what do you guys think?

of course i'm make it clear i got the house years before my physical problems started & i obviously can't move because i own the house & would never get a mortgage on benefits.

The Peterborough area is covered by the Atoshealthcare regional office at Nottingham and a direct phone number to arrange and check audio recorded work capability assessments is 01159 758347. You've two choices for tomorrow morning;

Phone the number above before you leave home to check whether arrangements have been made for an audio recorded assessment and plan your next move dependent on their response. If you can, record the conversation by putting the phone on speaker and recording the call onto a mobile phone or dicataphone. Should the Atos admin fail (a common occurrence) the transcript will come in useful for an alleged 'failure to attend'.

Or, 'in all innocence' front up for the appointment and if necessary query the absence of a chunky audio recorder on the assessor's desk and not being asked to sign a consent form. Which should get an offer of a rearranged appointment.

Unfairly, Atos don't care whether a home visit's easier for you. If you normally get to your doctor and hospital outpatient appointments, you'll be expected to get to one of their assessment centres. Neither will they care one jot about mortgage concerns if you have to seek more suitable accommodation cos of your disabilities. Lots of disabled claimants have no choice but to give up unsuitable homes. Should your doctor be able to get you a home visit cos of your mental health issues, it's more likely to help than harm your chances of being found to have limited capability for work related activity cos of impaired mental function.

Best wishes, Margaret.

• 5 months later...

could someone change the title of this thread to...

Atos medical on Tuesday 11th November - please help!

i'm so sorry i haven't updated what's been happening. i hope everyone is understanding.

so here's my update...

on Wednesday 4th June i phoned Atos to ask for a home visit. they said it was too late because the audio equipment was already booked for my app' the next day.

on Thursday 5th June i waited 26 min's for my taxi...they kept saying it was on it's way to me.:frusty:

i decided i had no choice but to phone the medical centre & tell them i was running late.

i got through to a nice lady who said they'd been trying to phone me for days to say my app' was cancelled because the audio recorder was broken.:!:

obviously i was relieved, but shocked. especially because when i phoned Atos the day before nothng was said about that. i was also confused how the lady had the correct landline number for me, but i'd not got thier calls! i know my landline was working as normal.

i mentioned to the lady i had wanted a home visit & she said i should phone Natalie on 0115 9758339 to arrange that.

has anyone else been given that number?

after that i expected to get a letter from Atos telling me my new appointment within days or weeks, but i heard nothing until i got a letter [dated 21st] from Atos on the 23rd of October...my 33rd birthday!

i waited 19 weeks 5 days to hear something & i get the dreaded letter on my birthday...typical.:mmph:

that was a great present, but i suppose i'm lucky my app' was delayed so long.

so 1st i need to ask for a home visit...if possible. it would be nice if a word from my GP meant i didn't need a medical at all, but i'm not that lucky.

then i need to ask for it to be audio recorded...that's assuming they don't already know that.

i know both of these could delay my app', but i'm fine with that.

i noticed in the WCA AL1C 04/14 About Your Face-To-Face Assessment leaflet [that came with the letter] it says...

"please contact Medical Services if you can only travel by taxi. you may be able to claim taxi fares if you have a letter from a medical proffessional who is treating you explaining why your medical condition means that you can not travel by public transport.

send the letter to Medical Services & they will contact you to tell you if they can pay your taxi fares. please do not travel by taxi without agreement."

from that i'm guessing they'll pay for both the to & from taxi fare?

so if i can't get a home visit i've got to get a letter from my GP about taking a taxi...why do Atos make everything so complex!

i'm guessing you just ask the taxi driver for a receipt on the day?

the taxi home wont be pre-booked because i don't know when the medical will end. obviously the fare will be the same on the way back, so i'm guessing that's enough for Atos?

i'm also guessing if they wont pay for my taxi i could still take a taxi, but just not get it paid for?

i hope someone on here has answers & advice to share.

all comments about this stuff are gratefully received.

Edited by honeybee13
Asking for advice by PM.

geriann,

Your experiences with Atos last June are par for their course with their attempts to arrange audio recorded assessments. From what you've written, you'd made your own arrangements for a taxi last time. Any reimbursement would have depended on the assessor's agreement, on the day, that you're unable to use public transport. Happens once every other blue moon.

Now, time to try to be decisive. No more :undecided: cos assertiveness can go a long way with Atos. But as you've talked earlier in the thread abut catching buses, I think it unlikely that you'll get a home visit unless your mental health or mobility has deteriorated recently. Unfairly, Atos assume that if a claimant can visit a doctor or get to outpatients, s/he can get to an assessment. Never mind that the doctor's two miles up the road and the nearest bus stop to the assessment centre involves a thirty minutes walk from a busy bus station. However, if you want to try for a home visit, 01159 758339 is almost certainly the correct number. It's certainly in the sequence of numbers for Atos Regional Office at Nottingham. You'll be advised that you need to see your doctor, or an alternative health professional involved with your care, for a letter or facsimile to explain why you can't travel to Peterborough.

Same process for asking Atos to fund a taxi, cept that the doctor or whoever will have to agree you can't use public transport for whatever reason. Should Atos agree to a taxi, some assessment centres have their own set up with local taxi companies and will make all the arrangements for you. Otherwise it's get a receipt from the driver for a refund in the usual way. And get a receipt for the journey back as well, just in case they 'lose' the first one. If Atos try to pull the 'you've left it too late again' insist that the first available appointment to ask for your doctor's opinion isn't until whenever. And of course, remind Atos you've already requested that your assessment be audio recorded. Requests don't always make it to rearranged appointments. :-)

Best wishes, Margaret. :panda:

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to be a pain in the arse :oops:but can someone please change the title of this thread to...

Atos medical on Saturday 29th November - please help!

thanks **Margaret**.

i know my wish for a home visit might not be granted, but it's worth a try.

the thought of a home visit scares me, but it's slightly less scary than the thoguht of going to a medical centre.

here's my update...

on Saturday 8th i phoned ATOS [0800 2888777] to ask for a home visit & was put on hold...the usual waiting in a que to speak to someone.

after about 12 min's of waiting i decided to phone the same number from my mobile to see if i got through to anyone, but i got the machine saying they're closed.

i then realised they close at 5pm on Saturdays...not at 8pm like they do on weekdays. eusa_doh.gif

so i decided to phone 0115 9758339...the number Park Medical Centre had given me on 5th June to ask for a home visit...i knew it was another ATOS number that might close at 5pm, but it was worth a try. however i was suprised to just get a "number not in service" message! i tried a 2nd time, just to make sure i'd typed the right number, but still the same message. that's strange. i'm sure i wrote down the number i was given correctly...or did i. huh.gif

so then i thought i might as well try phoning 0115 9758347 [ATOS Nottingham] because that's my nearest ATOS number, but i just got a tone; which i think was a busy tone. i tried a few times, but got the same thing.

then i phoned 020 7830 4931...another ATOS number i found online...but that also said number not recognised!

as a last resort i phoned 020 7830 4444...another ATOS number that's on thier website. i got straight through to a man, but it turns out that number is just a switchboard. he could only put me through to someone if i gave him a name. the only name i had was Natalie, but i had no surname & i already knew the number i had must be wrong, so i gave up called ATOS for the day.

so i decided to phone 01733 297631...which is Park Medical Centre where i would have the ATOS medical. i only phoned to see if i'd wrote down the 0115 9758339 [Natalie - ATOS home visit] wrong or if they had a number they could give me. i just got a busy tone...i didn't bother to keep trying.

so...

on Tuesday 11th i phoned ATOS [0800 2888777] to ask for a home visit.

the man i spoke to said i needed a letter [or fax] from my dr to say i needed a home visit.

so he said my appointment would be re-scheduled, so i'd have time to see my GP. i'd get the a letter to tell me my new appointment in a few days.

if Atos decided i couldn't have a home visit, i'd need to get a letter [or fax] from my dr to say i needed to get a taxi to the appointment...that's the only way i'd be able to get the taxi fare refunded.

he also said when i've got the ATOS "home visit or not decision" i would then have to contact ATOS to ask for it to be audio recorded.

he said my GP could send his letter to the Nottingham address on my ATOS appointment letter or to the fax number he gave me...0115 9758386.

then i phoned the medical centre [01733 297631] & told them what would have been todays appointment was cancelled because i've asked for a home visit.

i just phoned to make sure the message got to them, so i wouldn't be put down as a no show.

the lady i spoke to took my name & NI number to update thier system.

on the 13th of November i got the ATOS letter [dated 11th] to say my medical was now at 2pm on Friday 5th December.

then on the 14th i got another ATOS letter [dated 12th] to say "your appointment at 2pm on Friday 5th December has been rescheduled to: 1pm on Saturday 29th November".

so 1 day later ATOS changed thier mind & brought my medical forward by 6 days...for unknown reasons. angry.gif i wonder if i should bother asking why the appointment was changed?

so i have some queries...

i need to get my GP to send a letter/fax saying i need a home visit...is there a template letter somewhere for that?

if ATOS decide they wont give me a home visit & i do have to go to the Medical Centre, then i'll have to take a taxi.

ATOS say i need to get my GP to send them a letter/fax stating i can't travel on public transport [therefore need a taxi], so ATOS can refund my taxi fare.

which makes me wonder, should i get my GP to mention the taxi & home visit stuff in the same letter/fax?

or would it be better to get him to send the home visit letter 1st...the what they say...& if they say i can't have a home visit...then get him to send them a letter about a taxi.

what do you think?

if you think i should tell my GP to write 1 letter with the home visit & taxi stuff in it, is there a template letter for that somewhere?

i also wondered what happens when ATOS gets the letter/fax from my GP. when they've decided do ATOS just send you a letter about it?

does it take long for them to make a decision?

i wondered because i obviously was hoping for a decision before my 29th November app', so i know if i'll have to go to that app' or if they'll make a new letter app'.

if you read all my ramblings i do appreciate it.wink.gif

geriann,

Right, I checked both 01159 numbers last Friday afternoon;

You can't usually phone anyone on 01159 758339. It's the facsimile number at Summit House!

As for 01159 758347, it's a direct line to staff who arrange for assessments (in the East Midlands) to be audio recorded.

Atos don't have a template for doctors or other health professionals to request home visits/taxis. And even if they did, I doubt doctors would use it cos they usually like to give their own opinions in their own words. I think you need an appointment with your doctor to discuss both issues and if s/he agrees you need one or the other, ask for a fax/letter to be sent to Summit House. Given the appointment's only six days away, you may have to chase for a response to any fax/letter that your doctor agrees to send.

Couple of pages you can use to initiate the conversation with your doctor;

http://blog.atoshealthcare.com/2012/08/atos-healthcare-arranging-a-home-visit-for-your-work-capability-assessment/

http://blog.atoshealthcare.com/2013/05/how-to-claim-expenses-for-your-esa-work-capability-assessment/

'...... should bother asking why the appointment was changed?'

Cos someone at Atos made a late decision to do some Saturday assessments, cos they're trying, unsuccessfully, to make a dent in their backlog before the contract's handed over to a new assessment provider.

:juggle:

Best wishes, Margaret.