style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have received Summons for non payment of council tax with costs added to the amount they are saying is due. How is it possible to add costs and confirm that they are due when surly only a court can do that, or have I overlooked something..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the top of the summons, it says Her majesty's courts & Tribunals service which gives the impression its from the court. On the other hand, it has the usual phone numbers of the council. Its very confusing..

The cost are a standard amount supposedly to cover the costs if issuing the liability order, these orders are applied for in bulk and it a "rubber stamp" exercise on documents produced by the revenues department of the local authority.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The cost are a standard amount supposedly to cover the costs if issuing the liability order, these orders are applied for in bulk and it a "rubber stamp" exercise on documents produced by the revenues department of the local authority.

Another money making [problem]..

Edited by honeybee13

No magistrates court in my local area, so had a summons to attend one five miles away. That can't be right, what can I do about that and I have social anxiety. The other thing is, why summons me to attend if it has already be decided I'm liable.

Not sure what you want to achieve here.

You have received a summons for non-payment of council tax and you wish to "have your day in court".

Have your day in court about what?

Do you not owe the council tax i.e. has it been paid?

Have you been billed incorrectly?

What are the arguments you wish to put to the Magistrates?

I don't think 5 miles is far away for a Magistrates Court - I don't understand what you think is not right about that?

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Nothing is wrong with the location of the court, and you cannot make any complaint about it, as has been said the liability order is a formality.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

So what is the nature of the dispute?

Have you not taken it up with the council?

It would be good if you would give the full story when you start a thread and not small bits of it.

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

I dispute part of the bill so I will try and sort it out before the day. I am under stress about other things so this issue is just adding to it..

The Magistrates are bonly allowed to decide wheteher you are liable for the Council Tax - a simple yes or no answer. If you wish to dispute the bill this must be taken up with the Council and is no defence as to not pay.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am assuming it is not simple about the cost they have added for the summons?

If it is then I think you are on hiding to nothing.

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I am assuming it is not simple about the cost they have added for the summons?

If it is then I think you are on hiding to nothing.

Hiding ? sounds like they are going to beat me up. lol..

There are at least three main components to my dispute, A/ The amount and to which I will talk to them about. B/ Costs which have been added and yet no magistrate has heard my case. C/ I thought that only a court could issue a summons and to which would need to bear the court seal..

This is the "Appellant's Grounds of Appeal" in the First Tier Tribunal (information Rights).

Something from paragraph 11 may be relevant.

Not sure what I'm looking for here. My first port of call on Tuesday will be to question costs which have been added and yet I haven't even seen a magistrate..

Paragraph 12 defines the law which is relevant to your dilemma. Paragraph 16 is the view of the Appellant with regards front loading costs to a householder's account before the Magistrates have heard the case.

Some more thoughts on the situation:

The court at this stage (the stage you are at) has no influence on how much the council may claim in costs and is of no consequence whether deemed reasonable by the court. The amount paid or tendered to the authority is neither prescribed nor can a standard sum (with any legal standing) be agreed with the Court. It is therefore open to the Council to accept payment at this stage, having flexibility on the amount of costs tendered (as may vary from one taxpayer to another). If failure to agree costs or reach a compromise, then it would only be reasonable that the authority itemise and support its claim.

Only cases reaching a hearing would require the Bench being satisfied that costs were reasonably incurred. Once again, the authority should itemise and support its claim (this time for the Bench) on each application, in order that the appropriate award is made. The Court would then be making an assessment of the costs, including those of instituting the summons, which before the hearing (and may have been settled with the council) was not a matter for the court.

That was very helpful. Where in the past I have been aware the a summons has been sent from the clerk to the court, this time it states from legal Advisor, but from whom? the council or the court ? As stated on an earlier post, at the top of the letter it states Her Majestry's courts and Tribunals. I am led to believe that only a court can issue a council court summons and to which must contain the court seal..

DCLG Guidance on Enforcement

3.4 Local Authorities are reminded that they are only permitted to charge reasonable costs for the court summons and liability order. In the interests of transparency, Local Authorities should be able to provide a breakdown, on request, showing how these costs are calculated. While it is likely that authorities will have discussed costs with the Clerk to Justices it should be recognised that the Court may wish to be satisfied that the amount claimed by way of costs in any individual case is no more than that reasonably incurred by the authority.