Fedex Help!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, my name is Anthony (if you hadn't already guessed) I'm new to CAG and have come looking for help regarding a recent purchase I made online.

I ordered an item from China... which was delivered by Fedex and was signed for by a family member as I was working at the time. A few weeks after this... I received a letter from Fedex stating I owed them an amount of money. I decided to ignore the letter and again I received another one very similar to the first stating I still owed them money. I also decided to ignore this one and have just recently received a letter from Control Account PLC stating that the matter has been passed to them for collection.

The reason I come here as I wasn't sure if I should pay the fee as fedex made no attempt to notify me of any fee's until weeks after they had already delivered the item. Any time I order an item that is being delivered through DHL, if their are any fees to pay, then they simply keep hold of the item until you pay.

Are fedex in the wrong or do I have to cough up?

Thanks for reading

Anthony

Have you asked them WHY you owe them money?

I would have thought they should have advised if htere was a fee to pay.

Is it a large amount ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello all, my name is Anthony (if you hadn't already guessed) I'm new to CAG and have come looking for help regarding a recent purchase I made online.

I ordered an item from China... which was delivered by Fedex and was signed for by a family member as I was working at the time. A few weeks after this... I received a letter from Fedex stating I owed them an amount of money. I decided to ignore the letter and again I received another one very similar to the first stating I still owed them money. I also decided to ignore this one and have just recently received a letter from Control Account PLC stating that the matter has been passed to them for collection.

The reason I come here as I wasn't sure if I should pay the fee as fedex made no attempt to notify me of any fee's until weeks after they had already delivered the item. Any time I order an item that is being delivered through DHL, if their are any fees to pay, then they simply keep hold of the item until you pay.

Are fedex in the wrong or do I have to cough up?

Thanks for reading

Anthony

Why do FedEx wish to charge you?

Most likely this is for VAT on an import less than £135 but more than £18, unless the cost (including shipping) was more than £135 where VAT and customs duty is payable.

If so, the VAT is due unless prepaid by the shipper.

You need to consider if you are suggesting that you shouldn't have to pay any such charge, or if you are suggesting that the charge is due but you shouldn't have to pay unless FedEx hold your item until you pay rather than deliver it and invoice you after.

If the charge is due, either scenario (hold until duties paid, deliver and send invoice) can generate complaints.

"DHL are holding my parcel to ransom, and adding delay to the delivery" might be a complaint by some people to the scenario you seem to prefer ......

Last time I had a FedEx international parcel where duty was owed the invoice that followed had a leaflet enclosed explaining the charges .....

Do you know on what basis FedEx are claiming the sum is due?. If you don't and are planning on disputing it, have you told them you don't know why the charge has arisen?

Unfortunately I only have the later Fedex letter which says the overdue amount remains unpaid... and the amount is £29.66

In the letter from Control Account PLC it says...

FedEx Express Europe have recently written to you in relation to an outstanding invoice covering one of the following billable charges. Import/Export Duty and/or VAT, Brokerage fees or Transportation costs. According to their records this invoice still shows as unpaid therefore this matter has now been passed to us for collection.

If your invoice related to Import Duty and/or VAT an administration charge of £0.00 has now been levied in addition to the original invoice sum. The sum was incurred and levied by HM Revenue and Customs upon your shipment arriving in the UK. As the recipient of these goods and with the sender not having nominated to pay the required duty, you legally became liable for these charges.

We confirm that under current regulations the cost of delivery was added to the declared value of the product to make the shipment "value for customs". In addition a VAT value adjustment may have also been calculated which represents the cost of the transport within EU borders. Further information with regard to Import Duty & VAT invoice can also be found on our clients website @ fedex bla bla bla

We must now insist that the payment of this invoice is made immediately to us.

DO NOT CONTACT FEDEX DIRECT - we are their appointed agents. In the event that no response or payment is received within 7 days, this matter will be passed or further action.

I have just found the label that came with the item i purchased and the customs value is declared as $155 USD

That is approximately £92.00 sterling - I imagine they are chasing for custom/duty that will be payable.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have just found the label that came with the item i purchased and the customs value is declared as $155 USD

That may be the value declared for the item.

The VAT can be assessed on the value of the item AND the shipping cost.

£29.66 sounds about right for say £25 VAT, and some admin charge (guesstimating here....)

£25 VAT would be VAT on £125 cost .... £92 item and £33 shipping??

Should I contact the company first to get a breakdown of the charges or should I just pay the amount due?

By all means ask for a breakdown of charges ... But it sounds about right. How much did you have to pay DHL before they would deliver the other item, and how much was that (item & shipping?)

I'd like to know I was not being charged disproportionately.

The "fly in the ointment" may be that it may be harder to get this info from the DCA than it might have been FedEx earlier, but you can remind them you are entitled to know what you are being charged for, so that you can assess if you actually owe it!