DVLA lost my Residence Permit

daniio90
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I am Chinese studying in UK.

I applied for a Driving Permit one month ago.

I sent both my passport and Residence Permit.

But DVLA sent me back only my passport.

I have tried to contact them more than 20 times already.

I have booked hotels and ferries already,

as I was planning a holiday around Europe.

Now I cannot apply a Schengen Visa,

because they've lost it?.

Please help me.

I need to file a complaint and ask for compensation of around £2860

DVLA is holding me a prisoner in UK

You wont get any compensation. have you tried contacting the CEO of the DVLA, and not the call centre reps? You can also get your countries embassy involved too. In fact, i thought that getting your embassy involved would have been a no brainer.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the advise.

I just sent email to: oliver.morley (at) dvla (dot )gsi (dot) gov (dot) uk (not sure if he is the CEO)

And I will call the Chinese Embassy tomorrow.

Good luck daniio. If you can, please keep us informed as your experiences may help others in the same situation as you.

Oliver Morleys details:

DVLA

Mr Oliver Morley	Chief Executive

Email	oliver.morley@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone	01792 782798
Fax	01792 783 071
Website	http://www.dvla.gov.uk
Personal Twitter	@omorley1
Social Media	T

Address	Longview Road, Morriston, Swansea, SA6 7JL, UKM

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

If you google dvla ombudsman you will find some interesting cases, including some on cag. The Health and Parliamentary Ombudsman "Responsive and Accountable" link gives a good brief overview of the complaint process.

You could also involve your M P if you continue to hit a brick wall. I wouldn't think the Chinese Embassy could do much since what you've lost is a British document.

Sorry you find yourself in this mess. Hope you get it sorted.

The embassy can put considerable pressure on them to act.

• 4 weeks later...

After one and a half month mailing with DVLA I just gave up, filled application for new BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) and will not apply for British Driving License again. Will go back China, will get license from China and Honk Kong and can use each for a year in UK, total 2 years, it is enough as I graduate after 2 years and leaving UK.

Contacted local police, they told me they cant do anything.

Tried to contact the DVLA CEO, but he was on a holiday for 2-3 weeks, so I never got an answer from him.

The last letter I got from DVLA was that:

"Please be assured that we take very seriously any claims by customer that identity documents have been taken. Should such acticity be detected by our internal security procedures the matter would be immediately referred to the local Police"

Not only I did not get a Driving license and was left without BRP, now they are trying to scare me. What a [problem].

One thing I cannot understand. Why do you still use letters in 21st century.

When I was in USA, to get an ID or Driving License you just go to the nearest Council Office, pay $50, fill an application, they will take you a picture, scan your finger prints and after 3-4 minutes you get your ID or Driving License you applied for.

Here I am fighting to get a respond for almost 2 months. The British system is so outdated.

Thanks everyone for the advices anyway. Great forum, hopefully will not need to visit this section again anytime soon.

Regards

Youll only be able to use them for one year. It starts from date of entry. They dont add on to each other unless you go back to your country and then come back with a new visa.

Regarding the UK's methods, our system is a lot more robust than the US system. You can easily forge documents over there and pay a few extra dollars as a backhander to the person doing your licence.

it is very well known how corrupt the DMV is.

DVLA lost documents.

I'm in the middle of sorting a mess created by DVLA, during a routine license application for my son DVLA have sent his birth certificate and national insurance document to an un named person resulting in the identity theft possibility. I've asked DVLA to supply me with the address so I can make enquires but they refused so I'm now applying for same information under the Freedom of Information act. My son was told his license was dispatched but in reality they havent done that either and now we have to apply again with the added cost of replacing lost documents and second £50 provisional fee. I'm sending a letter to DVLA Chief Executive Oliver Morley, also Operations and Customer Services Manager David Hancock, Director of Technology Iain Paterson, Alex of Team 15 at DVLA and Tracey Windle at DVLA who also sent out a letter to us apologising and making us believe a license was in the post. Ill keep you informed on this massive mess and the response I get, thanks to who ever reads this for taking an interest.