style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If it was me, i would rebuild the machine.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me, i would rebuild the machine.

do you mean a new build?

didn't want to do a new one as pc is mainly used for internet, word processing, etc nothing intensive and current spec s/b ok for that. but, may have to (or get a new lappy instead) as pc went funny again.

and, andy, the monitor light stayed orange.

but, it booted again after a couple of restarts. this time got a bios (not windows) post message saying 'now in safe mode, reset cpu frequency'! checked the cpu in bios and is ok. maybe a hint that the cpu is going, or the bios isn't regulating things properly :)

battery s/b ok as changed that not so long ago, but will update/flash bios.

full a/v and rootkit scan is clean.

is working ok atm, but will no doubt go funny again :)

cheers

IMO

:-):rant:

Nah. Even a 10 year old pc can be cleaned, rebuilt and configured so you can get a lot more power from it. I reconditioned a pentium 4 2gb system a week ago and threw win 7 on it. Stripped windows right down as 80% of it is bloat such as services/most apps etc, and it runs pretty damn well now ( for 10 year old tech).

I want to get my hands on an old 486 dx or dx2 system and see what i can do, but cant get hold of one.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Don't you just love technology. :wink:

Hi Ford

Must be Cd love of all things technology that fixed it :smile:

In the mean time here a melody of tunes to cheers you up from Microsoft :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embe dded&v=ACEkZQyCc4Y

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

how do you increase the virtual memory anyone? I am totally useless with the gubbins of a computer! this is a new one with windows 8, last couple of days has seems slow so did a health check on it and it said virtual memory low! have done a disc frag , removed bits not needed, not rechecked since, I am at a loss tbh as onlly use it for internet, chat, play odd game etc, do not d/l films or music, maybe me a comps do not get on? lol

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

First thing to try is memory. If you have 2 strips in there then take one out and see if it still plays up, if it does then swop them over and try again.

Power supply can cause the same problems. Replaced 2 of mine recently due to starting problems and both work fine again now.

Last option is get a cheap graphics card to put in. On board ones do give up over time but using an ad on card will bypass the board looking for the on board one. Or borrow one to try if you no anyone.

This computer is only a few months old and have no idea how to remove anything, total novice

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

how do you increase the virtual memory anyone? I am totally useless with the gubbins of a computer! this is a new one with windows 8, last couple of days has seems slow so did a health check on it and it said virtual memory low! have done a disc frag , removed bits not needed, not rechecked since, I am at a loss tbh as onlly use it for internet, chat, play odd game etc, do not d/l films or music, maybe me a comps do not get on? lol

Press the Windows Key & X at the same time, to pop up a menu.

Select System.

Advanced System Settings.

Advanced Tab

Settings button in Performance Group

Advanced Tab

Change Button

it says min allowed is 16MB, Recommended is 3526 MB, currently allocated is 3724 MB

Can somebody help me with what services etc I can cut down on my laptop - I replaced the keyboard yesterday with a new one (it has been dropped a couple of times and some of the keys had come off, and a couple weren't working). New keyboard cost all of £9.29 from the Internet and took the removal of 3 screws to replace it.

I have a Dell Studio 1555 which I mostly use for emails, internet and audio books.

Can somebody help me with what services etc I can cut down on my laptop - I replaced the keyboard yesterday with a new one (it has been dropped a couple of times and some of the keys had come off, and a couple weren't working). New keyboard cost all of £9.29 from the Internet and took the removal of 3 screws to replace it.

I have a Dell Studio 1555 which I mostly use for emails, internet and audio books.

What services do you have running and what version of Windows are you running?

To get a list of services that run on boot, press Windows key & R, then in the dialog box type msconfig. A new screen will open, select the services tab, and tick "hide all microsoft services"

griffzilla, did a restart and a new health check and no warnings now re memory! I have windows 8, it did some updates when I restarted and asked if I wanted windows 8.1

min 16 MB, 3526 MB, RECOMMENDED, 2688 MB, ALLOCATED

Despite all the jokes, switching it off and back on again is one of the most useful IT fixes going.

Sounds like the VM is back to normal then, looking at those figures.

I'm on 8.1 - it's very similar to 8, but you get a start menu in the bottom right, and can choose to boot to desktop instead of the start tiles screen.

• Confused 1

thanks, will remember that next time, was bit panicky as being a new pc and all! lol

Despite all the jokes, switching it off and back on again is one of the most useful IT fixes going.

Sounds like the VM is back to normal then, looking at those figures.

I'm on 8.1 - it's very similar to 8, but you get a start menu in the bottom right, and can choose to boot to desktop instead of the start tiles screen.

Interestingly, windows 8 and 8.1 semi hibernate when you shut them down now. Restarting the computer is now how you completely empty the memory and reload from scratch. (the boot takes a little longer on a restart)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

First thing to try is memory. If you have 2 strips in there then take one out and see if it still plays up, if it does then swop them over and try again.

Power supply can cause the same problems. Replaced 2 of mine recently due to starting problems and both work fine again now.

Last option is get a cheap graphics card to put in. On board ones do give up over time but using an ad on card will bypass the board looking for the on board one. Or borrow one to try if you no anyone.

cheers

still intermittent probs, as mentioned (works ok for abit, then plays up. ditto). will delve into it all just now re all the suggestions. have a good psu (modular) and g'card (7900gs pcie) from other pc to try.

45002 - nice one, cheers. couldn't listen to it all though! already have win sounds off :)

renegadimp, i see what you mean, will do that recon.

cheers

IMO

7900gs is good for a test card and thats about it, but thats all you want it for right?

7900gs is good for a test card and thats about it, but thats all you want it for right?

yes, will try it in problem pc.

it is an oldie, but it still seems to handle things? though prob not the most intensive.

IMO

narrowed prob down to the mobo, eventually it would not even post etc., mobo has died. other components are all ok.

have fired up an old athlon xp, ddr, 6800 agp, machine for now. it still works ok! :)

thanks guys.

IMO

anyone know how to uninstall live essentials 2012 when its un/installer doesn't work? have tried the command prompt and offline uninstaller etc, no joy. it just comes up with 'has stopped working...close program'.

IMO

Run the uninstaller as admin