summary dismissal pay help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I`m in need of some advice please!

I was sacked yesterday at a disciplinary hearing at my work place, I was given a summary dismissal for gross misconduct. Before the disciplinary hearing I was suspended with pay for two weeks. As I was fired do I still get paid for the two weeks I was suspended? I know that I will be paid for outstanding holidays I have accrued and I am not entitled to "notice pay".

Also what is notice pay?

Thanks,

Confused kid :|

They should have been classed as compassionate leave.

I would contact ACAS as it would appear that you may have a case. You would be entitled to pay for the two weeks suspension. Have you a copy of your ex companies disciplinary procedures.

I dont want to go into too much detail here but my dad had a heart attack, as I work in Scotland and my parents live in England, I rang my manager and said I needed time off to go visit him, which I was allowed 5 days for. My dad started to get better and I returned to work, a few weeks later my dad`s health became worse, i couldnt focus at work, and asked for a few days off to go back and visit him and was told by my manager I couldnt have any more days off due to the inflexibility of the rest of the staff in the team and as assistant manager of the shop I had responsibility to work the days I was rota`d in for. After being refused time off, out of desperation to see my dad thats when I faked the sick days and got caught out.

Do you know how I would contact ACAS?

I had one somewhere, I`ll need to find it,

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So am I not entitled to the 2 weeks of pay when I was suspended with pay?

You ARE entitled to pay for the whole period that you were suspended right up to the point of dismissal, but you are not entitled to pay in lieu of notice had you resigned, or been dismissed for

a lesser offence than Gross Misconduct) you would have had a period of notice, which you would have worked after handing in your notice, or for which the employer would pay you 'in lieu' of you not working out your notice if you were asked to leave in circumstances other than for Gross Misconduct. With a GM dismissal you will nearly always lose the entitlement to paid notice.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it would have been so different had you deemed yourself unfit to work through the stress of your dad's illness and sought the help of your doctor to reinforce that - the inflexibility or otherwise of colleagues to cover you would then have been something that the employer would have had to deal with! As things are though you will struggle to overturn this for on the face of it you were guilty of going AWOL and telling an untruth, which makes the employer have good grounds to claim that you have breached the mutual trust required in the employer/employee relationship.

Definitely worth an appeal, and by all means speak to ACAS for their opinion http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for your advice Sidewinder, that has definitely made it alot easier for me to understand!

Do you have any advice on job hunting? I assume I will have to put this company down for a reference as I have worked for them for over 3 years. I think they normally give a standard reference of job title and dates worked, would they also add to that I was dismissed for gross misconduct? If they did add it to a reference would a future potential employer be able to ask my ex employer what the gross misconduct was for? I dont know if its worth finding another job in retail now after this or trying to find something else :/