Mandatory Reconsideration letter

justfornow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Phone your GP. You need help as an emergency, your husband can't manage without you so you need to be well. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Make it clear to everyone that you can't cope any more so they have to look after your husband for a while. Unless he's at immediate risk they won't section him, which is perfectly correct, we wouldn't want people being sectioned unless absolutely necessary, but you can make it clear to him that if he doesn't stay and get some proper help then he's on his own. He will be upset of course, but you have to be strong and go through with it.

No one can promise that you'll both come out the other side better, but you have to try. From what you've written, I don't see how things could get worse.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:Sarah:

I was hoping that last week's paperchase meant you'd been able to discuss some of these issues with your husband, but evidently not. Seems to me that you're fast running out of options, and while I don't want to sound harsh, you have to talk to someone before you starve/freeze to death. Sooner or later, your husband's going to find out what's happening when there's nothing for dinner cos the internet supermarket won't deliver without pre-payment! And while we may make allowances for mental illness, it's rarely a get out for completely unreasonable behaviour.

So in no particular order:

Your doctor. Make an appointment for yourself. He can't help you, if you don't ask. And when you get home, be honest with your husband.

If you're in two minds about the doctor, praps you could approach the practice nurse initially. But you'll have to tell it to him/her as you've told it to us. Everything from monitoring your computer use and phone calls to the 'contamination'.

What happened after the 2012 emergency admission to hospital? Possibly your husband was let down by inadequate provision for mental health issues, or he decided not to co-operate. Either way, get your husband re-referred to the mental health team. Cos of resources you'll need to be insistent with this one. Spell it out to him, and them, that you can't cope any longer.

If you've not got any help before next time it's 5.00 am, and you can't sleep for stress;

http://www.samaritans.org/

Who should be able to direct you towards some local support. But before that, did you try Mind and Rethink? As we've said before, you need more personalised help than you can access over an internet forum. We can advise about procedure for reconsiderations/reinstatement of housing benefit. But you, and your husband, need professional advice and support to address the impact of his mental health issues.

Sincerely, Margaret. :panda:

Hi All,

I have contacted Rethink, they do not operate in my area, nearest being 50 miles away.

They have told me to contact my local hospital, to see what they have to offer, but she said that because my husband has a great fear of medical staff, she does not think anything can be done.

I can not make my husband see anyone, so I have an appointment with my GP next week, and I will see what he says.

I was thinking of phoning DWP today, to see if they acknowledge that they have received my letters, and to ask them what happens now.

I would say that there is no harm in doing this but I do not know any more.

My anxiety is getting much worse, it is the not knowing, and the fact that at best they will just give him a new medical appointment, with all the drama that will entail.

I will let you know what happens.

Sarah.

My anxiety is getting much worse.

All we can do is offer advice and a few sympathetic words..

Oh, and a :grouphug:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Sorry that Rethink were unable to help. You need to be clear that you want some support for yourself rather than 'them' to do something. And if perchance you don't live in England, you'll need to 'google' something like 'mental health charities' for wherever you live.

When you see the doctor, please tell it to him as you've told it to us. And make sure you follow any advice/treatment that's offered. For example, if the doctor suggests listening to music, or going for a short walk every day, or whatever gives you some time to yourself, that's your time. Whether your husband likes it or not. Which might be the intro to a long overdue discussion about seeking help for your well being. And on going benefit entitlement!!

:panda: Margaret.

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for your advice and kind words.

I have some news, yesterday morning I phoned the number on the mandatory reconsideration letter to ask them what was happening and have they received my letters, guess what, they said that they had not received any letters from me, there was nothing on their system.

I could not believe it, they then said that there was nothing that they could do until they have received the letter, I then told them that I had sent both letters recorded delivery, and one was signed for on 29th and one on 30th, both with the same signature, she then said this was the Macclesfield branch, and I should phone back later in the afternoon to see if they could trace the letters, she said that she was making a note on my file about my queries.

I rang back at about 3pm, same phone number, this time it was St Helens branch, she said that my letters had been found, and that they have excepted my explanation, and will be lifting the suspension, and I will get a letter in a few days.

First of all I was ecstatic, now I will not believe anything until I have proof, and then I have the task of getting my husband to a medical.

So hopefully I can have a little rest bite knowing that I can at least pay my bills.

Thank you all for your great help any your knowledge, if I had not used a signed for service, I am sure I would not have had this outcome.

So please anyone who is having dealings with the DWP or similar Please use a signed for service, it WILL save you a lot of heartache.

Thank you again, and I will keep you informed.

Sarah.

Jobcentreplus tend to search further for letters when the claimant's got a tracking reference. :-) You should get a letter, but often the only indication of revision is arrears and reinstated payments in a bank account.

Yes, you'll have the task of getting your husband to Atos, or getting him to accept a visit from Atos. Or at the very least from your doctor or the mental health team. Jobcentreplus appear to have accepted good cause but Atos are unlikely to offer a home visit, or make a recommendation to Jobcentreplus without a face to face assessment, on hearsay evidence from you. So there's no reason to change your plans to seek help. You really don't want a repeat performance next time round.

As you've had at least two letters go astray, you may find the tactic in the thread below useful.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?397963-Ib-to-esa-letter

Best wishes, Margaret.

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for the link, I will read it carefully.

I have just got post, and I thought it was a letter from DWP, no, it was from my local council, telling me that there is a loophole in the bedroom tax (which I know about) and that they owe me money £436, yes, I thought that will tied me over till I receive my DWP money, but no, they were just informing me that the loophole will be closed in March, and this £436, will be used to pay my future bedroom tax...... So they give with one hand and take with another so to speak.

Anyway you are right, I will not hold my breath about receiving a letter from DWP, so I keep checking on line with my bank, nothing yet.

Friday and Saturday, I had the best sleep in months, I feel a little bit stronger today, and I would like to thank you and Mr P,Reallymadwoman, worried33, matt v atos, Beatrice bee & Antone,

for all your kind words and help and encouragement.

I do know it is not over by a long way, but the sleep has really helped me.

So thank you.

Sarah

Hi All,

Received my DWP letter today.

It was strange, it said for me to inform my council that my DWP has

not been stopped, and that it is done clerically.

What does this mean, is this normal ?

Thank you,

Sarah.

It's normal enough, yes. They're telling you to speak to the council to make sure that they know your DWP benefit has not been stopped. The DWP will eventually let them know, but it will be faster if you do it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi Antone,

Thanks for your reply, I wanted to know if the term clerically, was a normal term to use ?

I am just very nervous about anything that get from DWP.

Sarah.

"Clerically" just means that it is done by an actual human being, as opposed to a computer. DWP and council computer systems are linked to some extent, so what they are telling you is that you should not rely on those computers to update the council about your HB or Council Tax Reduction. Speak to the council yourself, and have your DWP letter at hand when your do so.

If your council has a drop in centre near you, use that instead of the phone and take the letter with you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Just had one other thought - nothing to panic about, but just something it might, possibly, be helpful for you to know. It may not matter at all.

It is possible that your husband's claim has been transferred to the Clerical team at the processing office. If this has happened, it's because of ridiculous technical reasons - basically because the computer claim was closed in error, and it's difficult to re-open a closed ESA claim on the computer. The reasons for this are far too boring to go into unless you're really interested, but they're not likely to be important.

Anyhow, point is, if this has happened, it does not affect your husband's entitlement to benefits. However, any time you call, if they have trouble finding the appropriate records, you should tell them that this is a clerical claim. Don't do that unless they can't find the claim details on the computer.

I don't know for sure that this is what has happened, but it's possible.

Hi Antone,

Thank you again, you are very knowledgeable .

You're welcome. I used to be an ESA processor at the Glasgow BDC.

Hi Antone,

That's a nice insight to have.

I can not sleep, so I thought I would do some catch up with my reading.

Sarah.

It can be useful, yes - it's why I'm here, really.

Not good when you can't sleep, but at least there are years of experience here to catch up on if you want to read around the various threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just received a letter from ATOS this morning.

It says that DWP has asked them to arrange an appointment for my husband

to attend a medical on 17th March.

I am beside myself with worry, and I do not know what to do.

1. What was the point of his GPs letter stating that he cannot attend because he finds it

hard to leave the house.

2. Yesterday I received a letter stating that DWP have received my Subject access request, and will

send me it with in 40 days.

Am I so naive that I thought it would take a while for another appointment.

I knew this day would come, but I thought that I would be better suited to deal with it.

I am just panicking and I feel physically sick with worry.

Has anyone any ideas what I should do next ?

I was feeling so much better, but now I just feel tense again.

The only good point is at least I have received the letter this time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sarah.

It says that DWP has asked them to arrange an appointment for my husband

to attend a medical on 17th March.

Has anyone any ideas what I should do next ?

Give the Atos centre a call and ask if this is a home visit. If they say "at our testing centre", instruct them that you require a home visit as your husband is unable to leave the house and that the DWP are aware of this*. Send them a letter repeating the principle points so that you both have a paper record - Hopefully, Atos will agree to your request and conduct a home visit.

* I assume that the DWP have been told of your husband's inability to leave the house - If so, one would hope that this information had been passed on to Atos. If not, you may need to call the DWP office that handles you claim.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.