style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3797 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to add, that same system if built by a factory or store worker will be 200 or so more expensive.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Try this site

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

it's a comparison website for parts, you can save even more money buying from separate shops, and that only uses trusted online stores

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

My hints, pay a little extra on a case... you want a decent case as working inside a cheap one sometimes has sharp edges... not a pleasant experience, and that is the thing you see aesthetically... When people see your computer and you say "I made that" and it has a WOW factor, it really impresses :razz:. AMD is generally cheaper than an Intel processor... you get more bang for your buck IMO

If you do try the partpicker website I linked, you can post your permalink for us to review if you like.... For example,

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2nLpR

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Not a bad choice but id drop the ram. You only really need 4-8 gb for what the op needs.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

That's what I'd buy with that cash for myself over the OP :lol:

For the OP I'd pick a more "style over function" case, MB with on-board graphics and 8 gb ram and a quad core processor over the 6 core and probably have a lot of change from the £400 to £500

Like this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2nPsf

£342.77, plays Blu-Ray movies , has USB 3's in the front slots, and will handle the required programs really well, also nice and stylish

BTW it shows a graph of the price history. On the run up to Christmas all prices have gone up! Maybe worth waiting if you can, the above system was about £40 cheaper a couple of weeks ago!

Edited by locutus

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Good picks for a low-mid range system. One alteration i'd make is go for a 450 watt PSU. 300 barely covers it. Especially if the OP decides to do a bit of upgrading in the future.

When i design and build systems for companies and people, i tend to 'future proof' it for their needs for around a year or so. That way there is no need for any hidden surprises, or upgrades. They pay one price and know that unless a piece of hardware fails, then they dont have to spend a single penny on the system for another year or three.

That reminds me, im running out of storage space on my system. Up to 5 Internal HHD's and 2 external atm. Total of 11 TB

Edited by renegadeimp

You're all making your life too difficult. You can buy a ready assembled decent desktop from Novatech at £229 (free shipping if you're ok with waiting 3-4 days) and no OS.

OS= Linux Mint

Word Processor=Openoffice

that's it.

Except windows is much more user friendly and self built is cheaper and you get a more powerful system for your money as well as semi future proofing it.

Except windows is much more user friendly and self built is cheaper and you get a more powerful system for your money as well as semi future proofing it.

I was just trying to help and not looking for a confrontation. I am sure the OP can think with his/her own mind and choose what's best.

I was just saying that Linux Mint is quite user friendly and we've used it at one of my previous office jobs. Most users had never used Linux and couldn't even tell the difference. I am not a Linux fan, at home I use Windows 8 and Freebsd, I wouldn't recommend the latter to a newbie.

With regards to self built, bear in mind that computer factories have tools that the average user hasn't. I worked in a computer assembly factory 15 years ago. The PCs needed to pass a double 'burning' test of 72 hours each. You can't even imagine how many PCs had to be sent back despite being built by professionals.

For me personally I find the value is picking what you want and balancing the cost increase over the gain. As long as you don't think you are going to get the top powered PC by buying the cheapest parts, you really can get a bargain.

For example, if the OP really doesn't want to play any games other than the browser / Facebook games there is no need for a graphics card, so can save money there, but it only costs an extra tenner to add a Blu-Ray player, so may as well add that. In my experience, when I tell someone the prices of a computer with a good graphics card or using an onboard one they opt for the onboard graphics, then complain when it doesn't play the latest games! Fortunately you can add a graphics card after if it is needed

The Linux idea does have merit... you can self build a system, install Linux, and buy Windows later if you like. The system I quoted yesterday has dropped price by £40, if you also take the £70 from windows off the list it drops to £233.22 as a starting price with the extra £70 to spend on Windows if needed.

Whenever I build a PC I always soak test it and any faulty parts get returned and replaced. Faulty parts are frustrating, but you do also get faulty computers that have "QA Passed" stickers on them. I have a vast array of tools, ranging from soldering equipment to giant illuminating magnifying glasses, that have all had use in the past when repairing a PCs motherboard or aligning the heads of a floppy disk.... all I ever seem to use now is a screwdriver or 2. The choice weather to self build or not IMO comes down to if you are confidant enough to do it yourself and have the time.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I wasnt trying to be confrontational. All advice is good advice. :)

When I upgraded my laptop last year I did consider building a desktop, even had an old one to use, but ended up with a really good Dell laptop from Laptops Direct, cost a lot less than from PC World/Currys and came with a 3 year guarantee.

Has done me well since April and I don't intend to upgrade it for a while as I only use it for emails and word processing and the odd spreadsheet. Most other things I use my tablet for, and for games (when I do play them) I use my PS3, I also use the PS3 to store films on and tv series and use PS3 Server for that.

Whilst it would be nice to have an 'all singing all dancing' system I don't do that much singing or dancing on it so I prefer to save my money for something else!

I built a great dual-core AMD machine back in '06 - It still holds its own against modern machines. Looking at going with a quad-core i7 for my next one (I do a lot of audio editing so need crunching power and then some!).

Nothing wrong with old tech. Only reason I complain is because shops still charge a fortune for it.

Nothing wrong with old tech. Only reason I complain is because shops still charge a fortune for it.
i know what you mean. wasn't having a dig. when i did mine (awhile ago) the 'shop' ones were older spec for alot more cost. and they still seem to be, as you say. yes, will get a shop warranty, which could be useful and easy as seen in bobcats case for eg, but parts still come with their own warranty. and then there is soga.

was just saying that my specs now seem old! they might need a zimmer soon. :)

IMO

:-):rant:

Some of my hi-fi gear is from the '70s. Sounds way better than anything modern.

f its analogue based, then theres your answer why :)