Green Deal firms misleading customers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Green Deal is a government backed scheme that can help you make energy-saving improvements to your home or business, for example:

• insulation - eg solid wall, cavity wall or loft insulation

• heating

• draught-proofing

• double glazing

• renewable energy generation - eg solar panels or heat pumps

You have to pay back the cost of the improvements over time because the Green Deal is a loan.

The BBC has found that some firms promoting the scheme are mis-leading consumers by claiming the Green Deal was free and that they qualified for the scheme - even though they needed to have an assessment. The word 'loan' was never mentioned in their sales patter.

Some consumers were told that their council tax bills would be cut if their homes were more energy efficient or that they would get a new boiler if they paid the assessment fee.

Across Wales and England only 219 Green Deal plans have been completed but BBC has received more than 250 complaints from viewers who say they have been misled by cold calling companies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25290101

• 2 weeks later...

It's high time the government cracked down on these outfits. I keep getting anonymous calls from companies - to my TPS-registered line - peddling these "government incentives". Perhaps it's time the government audited all these companies, fining all those using illegal cold-calling and barring them from the scheme?

• 5 months later...

Oh so he was "seen talking" How very dare he! Then you say that ( I assume the tenant ) works occasionally and probably on a zero hours contract and can afford to drive a Jag. That seems to me like a few more assumptions

I take it that you have no idea if the properties concerned have benefitted from the scheme. If they have it will be the tenants on low incomes that have qualified and it will be for their benefit.

I understand why people feel aggrieved when they perceive someone living a better lifestyle then they can when on benefits but you can not make assumptions like that. Do you know why they have a motobility car or works occasionally . I guess not, maybe one of them is terminally ill , would you like to swap?

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

• 1 month later...
i just had someone at my door from ashadegreener offering me free solar panels

what's the catch ? they say there isn't one

They get the government top up payments on the electric made and any units unused and sold to grid are theirs too

you get the electric, which if you use a bit during the day may be wortwhile but most people use it on a night and when its dark.

Solar doesnt work in the dark and is rubbish in bad light despite their claims, It can be a viable option but without the government subsidy per unit solar is rubbish IMO

It can cause damage to your roof and looks ugly and in winter i have seen units struggle to get up to 2 units of energy. Summer is obvoiuosly better but if your not going to be in because your at work or you go away a lot in a caravan for example the only thing you will really be saving is having your fridge running

All the excess power generated and subsidy will go to a shade greener for there cost and using your roof

from an EX Solar Surveyor

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1