re-homed a dog from a dogs home. - advice please.

danielle86
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3697 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

I bought a rescue dog from a rescue centre, and I was told I needed to take my two dogs up to see if they get along with each other before we could take the third one home, which we did. This place offer a 4 week settling in period, where you can send the dog back in that time if it doesn't work out.

So nearly 3 weeks into this months trial I had to send the dog back as he and my eldest female dog were not getting on, and the fighting etc was still not settling down, so to save one of them getting seriously hurt, he went back. Now they have told me I cant have my money back, I can only have a credit note. Now this wouldn't be so bad if I could use it in the shop section on the dog foods etc, but I have been advised that it is only to use towards another dog (nor is selling the voucher on allowed). now my argument is that my eldest dog obviously doesn't get on with other older dogs, to which they said to use it against the cost of a puppy, which would be all good and well if the £150 credit note would cover all or most of the cost of a pup, but their cheapest pups start at £300 + VAT, and I don't have that kind of money.

So my question is, where do I stand? can I demand my money back legally, or have I wasted £150 that I cant use?

any help would be much appreciated.

Danielle. x

Edited by citizenB

When advising about the 4 week return system, did they confirm that you would only be given a voucher toward the cost of another dog only ?

I would consider this to be unfair, but what recourse you have, I simply don't know. I will ask others if they have any ideas.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'm tending to agree with Hightail. I think, when you took the dog, you made a "donation". Sadly this didn't work out, and that is why they won't give the money back. They will however, be more than happy for you to rehome another of their dogs, and rather than "credit note" I think they mean they wouldn't have the sheer cheek to ask for yet another "donation" from you.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You do not 'buy' an animal from any rescue or rehoming organisation.

You donate a contribution which is non-refundable whether or not the animal remains with you or is returned to them.

Have never heard of a 'credit' but it sounds like they are accepting your donation to the rescue and aiding you instead of asking you to contribute another donation for a different dog.

These rescues have a great deal of costs and expenses for each animal before it is adopted, such as vaccines, neutering, micro-chip, flea and worm treatments, feeding and veterinary costs so to ask for a donation back is rather frowned upon.

Nobody knows the compatibility of any animal which may change at any time from the moment the new dog arrives to even 3 or 5 years down the line. This is not a guarantee a rescue or any other dog from a breeder or private home.

If you bought a dog from a breeder you would have considerable added expenses, the purchase fee and no chance of having the option to return the dog to them for your money back.

3 weeks is not even a settling in period for any new arrival, least of all a rescue dog.