I've got a question about becoming homeless but you own a home elsewhere.

janieski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Its a strange usual question i guess, but I own a home in Devon, has a big mortgage on it, and the markets totally slumped down there, too much supply, not enough mortgages going through, tried selling the house and no takers at all.... and work prospects are not brilliant that way either, and also my mother whose health isn't very good lives in Essex, so upon all that, I decided to rent out the house, was the ONLY solution, so I could move down to surrey, be near family and also more importantly work, as I just couldn't find permanent work and got into trouble with mortgage repayments once because of erratic work...

Thing is I have now lived in surrey for nearly three years now, and my work has been erratic again... and now my landlady has asked us to move out, and so started looking to rent elsewhere, and have been shocked to find how rents have shot up! we have got until march 2014 till we have to move out... I just want to know, what if I cannot find anywhere for me and the wife and daughter to live in a price bracken we can afford and accommodation that suitable as my wife has mobility problems too plus need to stay in certain area due to work and daughters college to add to all this..... what if it comes to the point in march and we still cannot secure accommodation? can I ask the council to for help? would i be entitled to any help if I own a house elsewhere? as I have tried selling it, but cannot unless i take a hit and sell for less than the mortgage on it, we cannot just move back, one we have tenants in there whose fixed tenancy doesn't run out until august next year, secondly my daughters in college and three its work for me... I just feel like I am caught between a rock and a hard place right now....

Thanks in advance

If you already own a house elsewhere highly unlikely that council will offer you accommodation. Have you thought about buying a large touring caravan and living in it until you get sorted. On some parks you can stay up to a year and on others only 28 days maximum. A bit of a hassle, but we did it for 2 1/2 years and saved a fortune as normally utilities are included in the pitch rental and you don't have to pay council tax.

Modern caravans are fully equipped to stand the worst UK winters so may be worth considering. You can buy them on HP but would need to do that before moving out of your current residence. Register cars with relatives. As for insurance, give them relatives address fro post but make sure that they are told of address where cars are being kept at night.