Advice required going to lose my home!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don`t know where to start really I feel so upset, my partner of 10 years left me last wednesday and has told me today he will not be coming back. He was the sole earner in our house I have not worked for a while due to health problems and I am unable to work at present. I did not claim any benefits my partner provided for me.

He paid the rent, bills, etc and now he has walked out and not left me a penny I literally have £4 in my bank account. Now I have no way to pay the rent, I applied today for ESA and was told it will take about 3 weeks to process if I am lucky and I can`t apply for housing & council tax benefit until the ESA gets accepted. My rent is due on the 6th November and I have no way to pay it. We have a joint tenancy and my ex has not given our landlord the one months notice so by law we are legally responsible to pay the next rent. He said is not paying so what can I do?

My landlord is not a very nice guy and I am dreading his reaction when he finds out the rent will not be payed. He knows I don`t work and that my ex pays it. I don`t know what to do I am so scared I don`t know whether to tell him now I won`t be able to pay or tell him nearer to the time. I am scared once he finds out he will try to change to locks when I am out or try and intimidate me now he knows it is just a female on her own.

I rang Shelter and they just told me to try and get on benefits as soon as possible but as I am single and under 35 yrs old so I will only get £66.04 a week housing benefit and the rent for this place is £515 so I know I will have to leave here soon. I have no family or friends to turn to, I feel like there is no way to sort this out at the moment. I have reached rock bottom and I can`t even think straight to find a solution. The only money I could give my landlord is the deposit we have with the DPS, but I don`t think he would accept that. I don`t know what to do I feel so alone, I can`t believe my ex has done this to me.

Can anyone give me any advice especially if they have been in a similar situation.. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Benibaby-I am sorry to hear that you are in such a horrible and scary position.

i am lucky enough not to have been in as bad a situation but looking on the web I came across this site which points you to another site where you can claim for emergency funds until your actual benefits

come through. http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/dwp-trying-to-hide-crisis-loan-replacement/

From reading the article it states that the pamphlet doesn't say how to apply. However I would think the Depatrment of Work and Pensions would be the first place and if not they should be able to offer advice

as to where to apply.

https://www.gov.uk/crisis-loans

Look down the page and there is a section "help from your local council in England" click on the link in that and follow the instructions.

Meanwhile, I will try and find some more help for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They may be called Short Term Benefit Advances and are available from the Job Centre,

Additionally there is something called an Emergency Payment usually because of some sort of crisis. And your partner leaving you like that with no money and no prospect of getting any for several weeks is a

crisis. You have to stress that you only have a few pounds to your name and could die of starvation before the benefits are paid. These apparently are obtained by applying to the Job Centre Plus.

No doubt other will be along to add to this.

Hi Benibaby

You have been given some great advice so far but could you please clarify for me that this is Private rented housing you are in?

1. Please check your local councils website to se what benefits you can apply for as they may have welfare rights officers that may be able to assist you.

2. Apply immediately for HB & Council Tax benefit but please bear in mind the dreaded Bedroom Tax as depending on the size of your property you may

get a 14%/25% reduction. I this happens then immediately apply for the Discretionary Housing Payment.

3. Try to get an appointment with a welfare rights office or CAB.

Also have a look at these links: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?393987-Housing-Benefit-Reviews-Appeals-Dispute-Form-and-Guidance**Correct-as-at-June-2013*

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?393988-Discretionary-Housing-Payment-**Correct-as-at-June-2013**

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks lookinforinfo for your reply, I have checked out the link you posted and I will ring the Depatrment of Work and Pensions and the Job centre tomorrow and ask where I can apply. I really am desperate and any help from them would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply stu007,

To clarify I am in a privately rented 1 bed flat. The contract was an assured shorthold tenancy for 6 months that started in December 2012 and ended in June 2013 and we are now on a rolling month to month contract. At the moment we are up to date with the Rent, paying each month in advance. We are due to pay the rent again on the 6th November. This is the first time we would have fell behind with it. There is no way I will have the money for this. We also have a months deposit held with DPS.

I have applied for ESA over the phone today but there was some kind of error the guy wouldn`t explain what but he said he would have to send me the forms to fill out manually and I was to attach my doctors note with them and to send them back and then they would get it processed for me. I was told by the guy I could not apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit until my ESA was approved. The guy was very unhelpful and I was too upset to argue. I am going to ring the Council Tax Dept tomorrow and explain to them my situation and with regards to the housing benefit I don`t know what to do about that? I will also try to get a Crisis Loan or whatever the new thing they are calling it now is!!

I really appreciate everyone posting to help me, but I must admit I feel pretty defeated at the moment, I haven`t stopped crying all day. I am hoping I will feel better tomorrow as I know I will need my fighting sprit back again to get things sorted out.

Was the T in joint names?

Whilst the LL could apply for s8 repo once 2 months rent is owing (6 Dec + 14 days), he is unlikely to get a Court date before New Year.

If he changes locks whilst you are out, without a Court Order, that would be 'illegal eviction' assuming you are the joint or sole named T

If your ex was the joint or sole T, then he could give LL NTQ in writing, by 5 Nov, which would terminate the T for all on 5 Dec.

Until then, LL can chase your ex for rent if joint or sole T, so co-operate with LL in tracing your ex, you may be surprised.

Your 5 priorities are food, heat, light water and rent.

What HB is payable for a single occupant of 1 bed flat in your area? Will it cover the rent?

You should at least register for the single occupant C Tax 25% rebate from date your ex departed.

Hi Benibaby

If it is the ESA50 Form you are being asked to complete please see the attached ESA50 Form with Form Field that you can fill in and always save a copy.

Take your time filling this form in and also look at this link: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?316210-ESA50-Guide(1-Viewing)-nbsp and this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?287253-esa-medicals(1-Viewing)-nbsp

As I said if it is the ESA50 and you want more advice on that specific area please start a thread in the Benefits area here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?160-Benefits-and-HMRC

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

As M51 said you don't have to panic yet and are ok for quite a few months. Keep LL informed of situation.

Get your benefits sorted, speak to council about HB and then you will be able to see where you go from there.

Any close relatives/friends that may be able to help in the meantime.

If you cant work due to ill health try claiming for DLA through DWP, doctors evidence will help.

All takes a bit of time, but try all avenues.

Good luck.

Just a quick update, I have had a really busy few days trying to sort everything out, I have managed to sort out Discretionary Housing Payment with the help of a very kind lady at the council and I am also in the process of sorting out my ESA and Council Tax. Things still seem very bleak to me but I have really appreciated the help from people on here and in my local council etc. I suppose I know deep down everything will sort itself out, but it is hard to think that way when everything is thrown at you at once. So thanks again to everyone who posted the information you gave me really helped.

Edited by ims21

Benibaby

Would it be possible for you to answer the question in post #11 as asked by mariner51

It would help a lot ....

Hi 45002 & mariner51,

The tenancy was is in both mine and my ex`s name. When I went to the council I was told as I was under 35 yrs old and single all I could get for HB per week would be £66.04 under the new rules people under that age are meant to be payed to only cover living in a bedsit or in a room in a shared accomadation, which seems ridiculous to me!! I have a 1 bed flat it is quite small anyway but the HB would not cover it, so the lady at the council who was amazing by the way said that for up to 13 weeks they can give a discretionary housing payment so that is what she is actioning for me. It still leaves me about £50.00 odd short from the total rent but hopefully I can make that up with my ESA. She did that for me as I would then have time to try and look for a more affordable place to live which the HB would cover. I was very worried as it is only a few months until xmas and I know everything stops for a few weeks so she said that I would have until at least after xmas to find a new place to live.

As I said in a previous post my partner just up and left me without a penny to my name. So for the lady at the council to help me as she did I was more grateful than she would ever know. I also had pretty much no food left and she sorted out an emergency pre paid card for me to buy some groceries. I honestly don`t know what I would have done without her. It just goes to show if you are able to speak to the right person it can change everything for you. I hope this answers everything for you. I only posted quickly earlier as I am still trying to fill out the ESA form for when I get my doctors note next week but I didn`t want people on here to think I was ungrateful for the help they had given. I will keep my thread updated and if there is anything else anyone would like to ask or if god forbid anyone finds themself in a similar situation to me, I am willing to help with any questions they might have.

Thanks again to everyone, this site is amazing and has helped me so much. :)

So your ex is still jointly liable for full rent and the only wage earner? A better prospect for LL to successfully sue for rent if his current address can be provided, so assist the LL with latest known address info.

Inform LL of current circumstances, we hate surprises / arrears. LL reaction will prob be s21. if not already served this should give you ~3mo before repo order. Try to keep any rent owing to below 2 month threshold for mandatory s8 g8 repo order (14 - 42 days)

Was your T still within fixed term or SPT?

If SPT then your ex could provide written NTQ to terminate T for all within 1-2 months

I suggest you have between 1-3 months to find alt affordable accom. If you vacate a SPT T,you are still required to provide LL with due Notice unless he accepts your early surrender.

Suggest you contact CAB or Shelter for further advice.