Help needed with BW Legal Statutory demand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a hand delivered SD on Monday from BW legal in respect of a debt to HBOS for an overdraft of £5k.

It dates to 2009 when I was made redundant, I was also moving home at the time and despite notifying them of my new address, a lot of the paperwork was lost between the 2 houses and my notoriously poor record keeping.

I got in touch with National Debtline and filled in the income expenditure forms and sent them off to my creditors along with a begging letter appealing to their better nature(you live and learn). As I had only dole to survive on at the time I couldn't offer more than a token payment which was rejected out of hand.

I was lurking this site at the time find a course of action and so i sent them a cca request (along with the fee) which they ignored but cashed the postal order(i still have the receipt and cca request). After the 14 day time limit, I sent off the `account in dispute` letter also ignored(they were posted to the branch's mailbox by hand, by me, so I know they received them and a few weeks later received a default notice.

So that and the odd statement were all the communication I ever had off them. I ignored all the threats since and it did go quiet for a couple of years but in may it started again, I just thought it was more of the same until the SD was delivered.

Edited by citizenB

CCA request was not relevant to a current account overdraft, so you had no proper dispute. They probably just took the £1 as payment towards the debt.

So what other issues do you have about this debt, that you could use to help set aside this SD ? Can you post up a copy of the default notice, after removing your personal info ? Are you in a position to check the amount of debt with copies of statements ? If not, I think you need to get hold of these.

You have 18 days to do the set aside from the day the SD was served on you. If you can't put together a set aside that has a reasonable chance of success, I think you will need to see whether you can make an offer of payment over a period of time. If you own a house, there could be at risk of a forced sale in the event of bankruptcy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This is the default notice I received, just had another letter off bw saying that i have until the 14th now - I pretty much up a creek though as regards making much of an offer, I`m not working atm as the result of an operation and am unlikely to be again until spring and my wife only works part time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46759[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46760[/ATTACH]

Your image is too tiny - can you please follow the instructions below and repost..

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

Scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all personal info including barcodes etc. using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new message box here

hit go advanced below the message box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB: you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

Then hit reply button

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you CitizenB - I was just trying to find the instructions for it -

fingers crossed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46761[/ATTACH]

Edited by citizenB
tidying up

Can't see anything obviously wrong, but wait for other opinions from people who are more knowledgeable.

IMHO in these situations, you may be wise to try to settle the debt, perhaps by making a reduced full & final settlement offer. They may accept a lump sum for say 25% of the debt value, as they will not have paid much for it. Or you could make a payment, with an offer of regular payments.

You could seek advice from a Solicitor who deals with such banking debts. If you try to set aside as a LIP, you would have to be pretty confident of your arguments citing relevant case law/legislation and hope that you have a helpful Judge on the day of any hearing.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

You could make the offer by Phone/Email and confirm by a formal letter.

Can you let me know what the dates are on the Default Notice was please, the date it produced and the date they gave you to remedy :)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oh ok cheers, is there a record of them accepting such low offers - i certainly hope so as i`ll struggle to raise that much

dates are

24-8-9 to 22-9-9

You can only try.

That didn`t go well - they want over 80% and bank statements showing all my comings and going :jaw:

I would suggest that you send a letter by recorded delivery to BW Legal making a first payment to them, with an offer of further payment by standing order if they supply their bank details. Provide some basic income and expenditure information, together with proof if you are in receipt of benefits.

Then see how they respond.

Alternative is to contact a Solicitor who deals with consumer credit act debts. If they spot something which helps with a set aside, they may be prepared to deal with it on a no win no fee basis.