style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just need some input please, my computer has died and now on look out for another one,I prefer a desk top but not sure which one to go for and windows 7 or 8, been told Windows 8 is awful? I was using Windows vista which worked fine.I do not like Zoostorm computers,had one before and it was the pits! the one that has just died was an acer with good spec,am using a laptop for now that had loaned to me but it has to go back real soon so need one but not got a lot of money to spend,looked on Ebay and not much there so any help advice much appreciated

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 is good for tablets, laptops and touchscreens.

Win 7 is better for everything else.

Vista is like WinME

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

thanks both, will try Laptop direct SG really like a desktop as more used to it!

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

yes they are good for that, guess it is what you are used to! Had a look on that site, most are on Windows 8 and bit pricy for me just now, thank you anyway

Just like everyone else, I didn't know where some of the Windows 8 controls were so joined in the band chanting ****,

well, it's anything but.

It is a really superb system and on a desktop/laptop can act and look exactly the same as Windows 7.

Hit the escape key or bottom left right click and there is the desktop just like it always was.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46553[/ATTACH]

Everything is the same just twice as fast. No way would I go back to one of the other systems now.

I wouldnt say its exactly like win 7. The win 8 desktop is just a skin for the tablet interface. I can see how people call it similar, but for those who regularly delve into the inner workings, it is very obviously different. But for the normal day to day user, i can see where the appeal is.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

it seems pretty much like win 7, except just a features makeover for touchscreens, apps, ui, social media, etc and a couple of security enhancements and performance tweaks (eg saving system/memory info things to file instead). so, as you say, once its set to look like 7 it is just that, with a bit of added security/performance. imo :)

IMO

:-):rant:

Windows 8.1 release is due next month, I've been running the beta for a while now.

Start button is back in the bottom left, although you have to right click it, it's very similar to the old start button. Left clicking toggles the desktop view that is identical to windows 7 in almost every respect. with the other windows start screen

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Unless the virus masks itself and hides in good old sys restore.

The new variations mask themselves as legit files, even self changing the headers within the file. Then when certain conditions are met, they duplicate then become active.

More than a couple of security enhancements Ford. Windows 8 Defender is

practically impossible for a virus bot to disable, the first thing a virus is

designed to do.

about time :) most third party av's have had that type of security for quite a while? and, wasn't MSE supposed to replace defender?

also, alot of viruses are third party zero day so, av doesn't have much impact until infected.

IMO

:-):rant:

thanks for the input, has anyone had a recon/refurbished nearly new computer? am weighing up pros and cons as not got a big budget

thanks for the input, has anyone had a recon/refurbished nearly new computer? am weighing up pros and cons as not got a big budget

There's not really any such thing, all that can be done is a clean install of the OS, a clean out of the heatsink and fan and a rub over with a duster. It's not like a car that has thousands of moving and wearing parts, So go for it.

Look for it having DDR3 memory. If it has DDR2, then it is old and not worth buying.

thanks for that coniff as was just about to maybe buy a desk top with windows 7 premium on it, price was £126, but when checked ie was DDR2

Yep. Any system with DDR2 will be very slow and shouldnt attract a price more than £100.

thanks, looking at the refurb/recon ones they all seem to b DDR2 and most over the £100 mark, am stumped now as really need one for o/h so she can do the charity work, etc etc but not got a lot of money right now

Memory speed should not effect that much for web browsing and office work.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

If you need it purely for browsing and basic office apps, then a simply core2duo with 4 gb ram should do fine. You shouldnt pay more than £100 for this as the tech is almost 10 years old, and most laptops of this spec come with 250-500 gb Space on the hard drive.

hi, do not need it for office work, we fund raise for cot death charity and people give us items to sell and for tombola prizes via f/b , it will be used for email, games normal stuff etc, thank you all for the help, most have found are expensive even for a refurbished one! Had one offered me with windows xp in it, only has a small ram and hard drive, it is a Dell and he wants £25 for it