Cancelling my flight and refunds or solutions?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was recently declined a visa for travel to the US after I had booked my flight with United Airlines through an agency here in the UK.

The date of travel for which I paid my fare was mid august 2013 yet I have to wait a further 6 months for my application with the US embassy to go through all the procedure before I can reschedule my holiday for next year.

I have contacted United Airlines about this asking if I can have a coupon to spend with them within the next 12 months from the date I purchased my original ticket. As I bought my ticket through an agent they have referred me to the agent but the agent is not helpful saying that my only option is to reschedule the flight at an additional cost of £350. My problem is I dont have a date of travel until I have sorted out permission to enter the US, yet the agent will not offer another solution. I would either have to set a date and pay the additional £350, or lose the £800 or so I paid for the flight.

Is this all the agency and/or airline can offer me as a consumer?

Here is the email that United Airlines responded to me:

"Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

Your ticket was purchased through a Travel Agency. We are unable to determine all of the terms and conditions that apply to this ticket. Please contact them regarding your inquiry. Most tickets are valid for one year from the date of purchase.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Regards"

Any suggestions to what I can do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

I hope the forum guys will be along later, but weekends are always quieter here. In case it helps the guys to advise you, when did you buy the ticket please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

Have you asked the agent or do you have a copy of their Cancellation Policy?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Here's what clause 4 or their terms and conditions says:

4. If You Change Your Booking

If, after booking by email, or when your ticket or reservation is confirmed to you or when any payment is made (even if before any confirmation or tickets are sent to you), you wish to change your travel arrangements in any way, for example your chosen departure date or accommodation, we will do our utmost to make these changes but it may not always be possible. Any request for changes to be made must be in writing from the person who made the booking. You will be asked to pay an administration charge of £25 per person, and any further cost we incur in making this alteration. You should be aware that these costs could increase the closer to the departure date that changes are made and you should contact us as soon as possible.

Note: Certain travel arrangements (e.g. Apex and restricted economy flight tickets) may not be changeable after a reservation has been made and any alteration request could incur cancellation charges of up to 100% of that part of the arrangements.

I know for sure that United Airlines have stated to me that purchases are good for a year from when they were bought. Problem is I used an agent and they want to charge me £350 for changing my flight and they wont give me a coupon.

Any advice on what I can do will be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

North American airlines tend to allow passengers to cancel a reservation but keep the ticket (i.e. the money paid) less a fee for use within one year. If you had booked directly with United, this is what it would offer. However, many travel agencies are unwilling or unable to offer this solution, or may be offering special discounted fares which do not have the same privileges.