2 Driving offences 1 court hearing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was seen by an off duty police officer using my mobile phone and no seatbelt.

They sent me a letter stating I can goto court or plead guilty in writing and without going to court..

Does anybody know what the maximum penalty/points this could carry?

Somebody mentioned that if you are convicted of more than one offence you'd get points for 1 of the 2 offences, whichever carries the most number of points? Is this correct?

Correct that you usually only get points for the more serious offence. Academic in this case though as only the mobile phone offence carries points anyway.

Mobile phone is 3 points and a fine of around half your weekly post-tax income (maximum £1000). No seatbelt is no points and a similar fine (though the maximum is £500). Fines, but not points, will be reduced by a third for a guilty plea. Add around £85 for costs and 10% of the fine or £20 (whichever is greater) for "victim surcharge".

That's a big fine!!!!

With the seatbelt thing, the officer put in his statement he saw a plastic part that guides my seatbelt sticking up, this can stick up even if I am wearing my seatbelt, and my car makes a noise if not wearing belt, so I could possibly argue that, but thinking that it's not worth arguing as they would believe the off duty police officer over me...