Dog Warden Vs Animal Sanctuaries

Clear33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone know ,

if a dog is unofficially left at an animal sanctuary, without signing him over through the correct channels...

Does the animal sanctuary HAVE to call the Dog Warden by law to come and collect the Dog?

Where is this law?

Why can the animal sanctuary not simply keep and look after the dog ?

thanks

Take the dog to get a rescue centre.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I've never heard of animal sanctuaries/rescue centres calling a dog warden. Lots of pets are dumped at my local rescue centre during the night, and they are always treated as abandoned and then re-homed. Usually people leave the pet in the carrier, ring the bell and scarper. Sometimes they just leave the animal without ringing which is very unkind as the poor thing has to stay there all night and can be very traumatised when found in the morning.

At the rescue I'm involved with, the Dog Warden is informed in case the dog has been reported stolen or missing. If the animal has been chipped, we try to contact the owner. If we are unable to do this, the dog goes for rehoming from the rescue after 7 days .

Hope this helps.

Hello guys.

I don't think we've seen Clear33 recently.

I have to say I don't really understand the original question, but if I couldn't afford to have my dog chipped, I would put a medallion on his/her collar, I bought one a couple of years ago for about £5.

When we moved not long ago, Teddy ran off after a bitch on heat and I was terrified when I noticed he was missing. After I went looking for where he might be, I came home to find a phone message that he was where we used to live and the neighbours had kept him in their garden. They had rung the number on my £5 tag.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

There is absolutely no reason at all to not get your dog/cat chipped. Plenty of vets do it cheap, Some rescue centres do it really cheap. There are even offers on vet/rescue centre open days to do it for free.

• Haha 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

We've had cats who refused to even wear a collar, as well as crafty beggars who managed to get them off. :(

There's also a school of thought that a cat that climbs trees could get into trouble if its collar got caught on a branch.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

That is why it is so important that cat collars are always elasticated. When I moved to our current house the previous owners had a weird arrangement with a prop up window in the kitchen roof and the cats thought this was a great way in because there was no cat door. One day I found one cat's collar hanging from the catch. Fortunately the elastic had stretched as it should and the cat had fallen through. It must have given her a fright though. :sad:

That's a good point, renegade. :)

HB

It's how my collie was chipped. WE have been with out local vets since it opened in our village in 2002. They normally charge £50 including full registration, however they had an offer on for a week at the start of this year where it was just £10, due to an abundance of dogs and cats being left on the doorstep of the local animal rescue centre that werent chipped.

We've had cats who refused to even wear a collar, as well as crafty beggars who managed to get them off. :(

HB

not surprised, esp those cat collars with a bell on it! :) poor blighters, imagine them trying to do what cats do and every time they move there is a bell going off!

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Thanks all so much for the replies!

I have only just seen them now though. For some reason I was not alerted to any replies.

There were two dogs left tied up all night outside the animal shelter gates. By morning (5am) they were both distressed and began fighting with each other.

When the animal shelter worker tried to untie them and take them in, one dog slipped her collar and ran off down the road.

Enter me in the scenario.

The dog is running down the road and the animal shelter worker is following in car, i was asked to help.

As it happens, I have had a lot of the more cutting edge dog training in this area, (t-touch, the myth of domination) etc.

Since the dog would not go near the guy and we were concerned she may go back on the road and she was responding ok to me using the techniques, I spent half an hour gaining her trust.

I had to be careful because she was big and had huge jaws.

I got her collar on and she was very relaxed and happy.

the manager of the animal sanctuary came along at this point.

I was appalled by what happened.

She had little regard for my safety as she came storming up to me and the dog - which could have resulted in the dog biting me or her - the dog became aggitated again. She took the lead off me and proceeded to try to force the dog into the vehicle (therefore breaking all trust and relaxation just built up and causing further trauma).

The dog slipped her collar and ran off into the road.

This was because of her appalling animal communication skills.

I was annoid that the dog could have been run over.

I then followed the dog and fortunately she still had trust in me enough and came to me quickly.

I then gently took my time with her and asked her to get into the vehicle which she did.

The manager had stormed back to the animal sanctuary in anger. She did not thank me.

Anyway i travelled with dog back to sanctuary. so because of the trust the dog had in me - i started to really worry about them killing her.

i then was shocked to learn that they had called the dog warden and this increased my anxiety.

i since learned this was normal.

they promised us faithfully that if she was not claimed in 7 days they would sign for her and take her back...

to prevent the dog warden killing her.

At day 6 my friend went and she had not been 'claimed' by the animal sanctuary.

I think by going down in person and reminding them of their promise helped.

she was returned for rehoming to the sanctuary.

There's going to be no choice in a couple of years. By 2016 all dogs have to be microchipped.

Re: Compulsory Chipping of Animals.

On the surface of this complex subject, chipping appears to be a helpful device for being reunited wiyh your lost or stolen pet, forcing irresponsible pet owners to be responsible and accountable for their pets, saving pets at dog wardens and sanctuaries from being killed etc.

However after I researched this matter carefully some time ago, I am not in favour of this medical intervention of inserting a foreign object into a member of my family.

I am also not in favour of treating each individual as if they were the lowest common denominator of society. I ought to have the legal right to choose what I think is best for my animals.

After reading some of the scientific evidence, I feel that chips can cause cancer and other health problems.

Chips can migrate and break too and so should not he relied upon as a method of finding a lost fur friend.

Also the criminals stealing animals from gardens etc. are cutting the chips out with knives and no pain relief.

http://www.chipmenot.org/

As I said, its quite a complex subject.

Clear33