bedroom tax confusion local council no help

stuggling
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Alot of people are saying that the new bedroom tax will not effect private tenants? only social, im not effected by this as we have no rooms spare but i know a few who do and are complaining about it all!

Can i also ask about DLA, today i got told my 3 year old is being looked into for Speech, mobility and eating and to try and get certain things to help him, we can't afford to! my partner works 60 hours a week and i study full time, im close to leaving my course to try and get a job to help with cost, we dont get HB/CTB just tax credits and partners wages but nursery advised we claim DLA to help ( i also have an 8 year old with ADHD and a 6 year old with a hernia :|) we feel like we would be scrounging in claiming as they can do things just need a little help any advice would be grateful please x

Sorry I cant help with DLA, but to clarify the HB issue

Private tenants have had their HB restricted according to size of household since the 1990s

"the bedroom tax" is introducing a HB siza restriction for social tenants

Edited by id6052

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

With regards to DLA, there are tests and assessments and so on to determine someone's eligibility, and the whole point of the benefit is to provide "a little help" (or a lot of help) to those who need it.

I can't say whether you would be entitled to DLA or not, but if you claim on behalf of your child and it's awarded, you should not consider that to be scrounging. Your working partner (and you in the past perhaps?) pay taxes for these sorts of things.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi

This is the info my council sent to everyboy on this affected NOTE - SCOTLAND ONLY

Bedroom Tax

The Government has said that it will introduce a new size criteria for tenants in reciept of Housing Benefit.This will apply from April 2013 to tenants of working age.

This charge will reduce the amount of Housing Benefit awarded and tenants will be responsible for paying the shortfall in rent if Housing Benefit is reduced.

Who will be Affected?

All Households, in receipt of Housing Benefit, who have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:

** Single parents who only have access to their child and have been allocated and extra bedroom for access.

** Foster carers, foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes.

How many Bedrooms do you need?

The Governments new bedroom criteria will allow one bedroom for each adult person or couple living as part of a household.

The size criteria will be one bedroom for each of the following:

** A Couple.

** Child aged 15 or under will be expected to share with the one child of the same gender.

** Child aged 9 or under will be expected to share with one other child also aged 9 or under regardless of gender.

** A person who is not a child (aged 16 and over).

** Any other child (other than a foster child or child whose main home is elsewhere).

** A carer (or group of carers) providing overnight care.

How much will Tenants Lose?

If you have one or more extra bedrooms your Housing Benefit will be reduced. The amount allowed for rent will be reduced by 14% if you have one extra bedroom, or 25% if you have two or more extra bedrooms.

** A Couple in a 2 bedroom property - 14% charge for spare room. i.e. Rent £300 means you pay £42 per month.

** Single parent in a 2 bedroom property - 14% charge you have a child you only have access rights to. i.e. Rent £350 means you pay £49 per month.

** A Couple or Single Parent with a boy and girl aged 9 and under living in a 4 bedroom property - 25% charge for spare rooms. i.e. Rent £400 means you pay £100 per month.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Alot of people are saying that the new bedroom tax will not effect private tenants? only social, im not effected by this as we have no rooms spare but i know a few who do and are complaining about it all!

Can i also ask about DLA, today i got told my 3 year old is being looked into for Speech, mobility and eating and to try and get certain things to help him, we can't afford to! my partner works 60 hours a week and i study full time, im close to leaving my course to try and get a job to help with cost, we dont get HB/CTB just tax credits and partners wages but nursery advised we claim DLA to help ( i also have an 8 year old with ADHD and a 6 year old with a hernia :|) we feel like we would be scrounging in claiming as they can do things just need a little help any advice would be grateful please x

In affect it already affects private tenants if have a spare room as a private tenant then the benefit is reduced.

eg. I now have a £120 a month shortfall for a year because of the law change that made under 35s (with no transitional protection) not entitled to more than a bedsit. So now my 1 bed flat is considered too big and benefit reduced accordingly.

They moved the goalposts for alot of people although some have been excempted.

But if you were a parent with say 2 kids. They then become adults and move out but you kept your property, if you was a private tenant your benefit would be reduced. So its no different.

In affect it already affects private tenants if have a spare room as a private tenant then the benefit is reduced.

eg. I now have a £120 a month shortfall for a year because of the law change that made under 35s (with no transitional protection) not entitled to more than a bedsit. So now my 1 bed flat is considered too big and benefit reduced accordingly.

They moved the goalposts for alot of people although some have been excempted.

But if you were a parent with say 2 kids. They then become adults and move out but you kept your property, if you was a private tenant your benefit would be reduced. So its no different.

Have you tried claiming a discretionary housing payment to help?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Have you tried claiming a discretionary housing payment to help?

considering it, it seems they need to really go into everything to get it, credit card statements, bills etc. seems a bit intense for max 3 months help.

also its cheaper for me to stay here with the shortfall than to move to eg. a bedsit.

The gov are completely out of touch on the costs of moving, dealing with letting contracts etc.

About £1440 annual shortfall on rent for year, or about 1.5k to move (but have to find the cash all in one go to move rather than spread out month by month) also the 1.5k doesnt include paying for furniture removal service.

considering it, it seems they need to really go into everything to get it, credit card statements, bills etc. seems a bit intense for max 3 months help.

also its cheaper for me to stay here with the shortfall than to move to eg. a bedsit.

The gov are completely out of touch on the costs of moving, dealing with letting contracts etc.

About £1440 annual shortfall on rent for year, or about 1.5k to move (but have to find the cash all in one go to move rather than spread out month by month) also the 1.5k doesnt include paying for furniture removal service.

It can be a little intrusive and different councils handle the assessment differently. We have a £200 a month deficit and applied for DHP, we had to give 2 month's bankstatements, proof of any debts owing etc. I'd expected them to go through the bankstatements with a fine tooth comb, but they didn't even question the money we got from in laws for christmas to buy our own gifts. It is for three months but they've made it clear we can reapply at the end of three months and can also apply for help with moving costs. They were most concerned that any payments would only be required temporarily while we find somewhere else to live. I expect there'll be a lot of applications come April though.

ok in that case I will give it a think then.

I will also argue the point its cheaper for me (and as such also the council) if I stay where I am since I am 34 now, unless of course they find me a social housing property (unlikely).

The temporary nature of your problem makes you an ideal DHP candidate.

my son is in a 1 bedroomed flat (private landlord) but because he is under 35 he has lost £40 per month HB, and he was already putting money towards his rent. He is now struggling even more than before, he can't afford to buy proper shopping, so he comes to us for his dinner, otherwise he would starve.

my son is in a 1 bedroomed flat (private landlord) but because he is under 35 he has lost £40 per month HB, and he was already putting money towards his rent. He is now struggling even more than before, he can't afford to buy proper shopping, so he comes to us for his dinner, otherwise he would starve.

He should try applying for a discretionary housing payment. What age is he?

yeah the shortfall I quoted was on 'top of' money I already pay towards rent also.

So basically he is in the same boat as me, going to family for food.